Adding gamification to a Trello board for onboarding

Anne-Katrin Hillebrand (K15t) June 6, 2017

Hi all,

I'm currently creating a Trello board for onboarding new employees. It contains cards with information about the company, processes etc. and with tasks the new hire has to complete. Each card contains a checklist with one or more items.

To make it more fun I would like to add a little bit of gamification. For example, if the user has completed 10 cards he receives a new level / rank and gets an award.

Technically speaking, for the user (new employee) there should be a notification that he has reached a certain level. Ideally, something visual like a medal or certificate should added permantly to the board.

Another notification should go to the admin of the board to remind him to hand over the physical award (some swag like a t-shirt).

Any ideas how to realize this? Maybe there are some Power-ups to do this.

Any hints will be very much appreciated!

Thanks, Anne-Katrin

3 comments

Caity
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 7, 2017

Great idea, Anne-Katrin! Sounds like your new employees will be lucky to join such a fun and creative team.

While these features aren't built into Trello, we do have a blog post with some resources for gamification that you can check out here: https://blog.trello.com/get-more-done-gamify-your-life

Anne-Katrin Hillebrand (K15t) June 8, 2017

Thanks, Caity! Yes I saw that post, it was actually an inspiration for my idea to gamify our board. I wonder if there are any experience reports or how-tos. I'm a little bit reluctant to allow a third party app access to our internal boards.

Caity
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 9, 2017

Aside from that blog post, we don't have any official resources for gamification in Trello.

That said, I definitely understand the reluctance to use a thid party extension. If you're comfortable with code or have access to an engineers, you could look into creating this functionality using our API, which is documented here: https://developers.trello.com/

Taqi Noor March 20, 2019

Hi @Caity , I was looking for something similar for the Trello boards that we use for onboarding in our company. Since, it has been some time since this question was last asked, I was wondering if Trello team was able to add any feature to this effect. Thanks!

Tyler Michael November 28, 2019

I am currently working on a web application where Trello API us used to create some sort of gamification experience. I was looking for an external company to use it and provide feedback as I continue developing it. The app only needs the ability to view boards. Let me know if this is something that you would be interested in!

Like Sebastian Cardozo likes this
Charitha Veeragandham August 27, 2018

Hey Anne,

Were you able to add gamification to a Trello board? If so, I would really appreciate if you can provide me any document that outlines how. I am trying to do the same but I do not how.

Thanks,
Charitha

Anne-Katrin Hillebrand (K15t) August 27, 2018

Hi Charitha, 

the gamification feature is still on our wishlist, but we don't have development resources to do this on our own.

Sorry that I cannot help you. But maybe this continued demand could help to get gamification on the list of future features .... ;-)

Kind regards

Anne-Katrin

Charitha Veeragandham October 12, 2018

Thank you for the response!

Tyler Michael June 16, 2020

Check out webshockinnovations.com/gamification! I am currently working on general software like this, and am looking for a business/team to give feedback for features to set business needs.

Ganesh Babu
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2020

I was just looking for the same. Can we add gamification?

Tyler Michael February 3, 2020

I currently have a small trello gamification project I am working on. Check it out at webshockinnovations.com/gamification, and send us a message if you think it could work with your business.

Nicholina Harding July 5, 2021

I love Habitica.com but I need the customizability of Trello.
I am very interested to see your gamification progress but your web site gives the following error:

Your clock is ahead

A private connection to webshockinnovations.com can't be established because your computer's date and time (Monday, July 5, 2021 at 10:48:26 AM) are incorrect.

NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID

I re-sychronized my laptop clock with the nist server and it's definitely correct. 
FYI

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events