Trello is Life

Trello World. I am an avid Jira user because I enjoy the ability to configure an entire project management platform with ease… but sometimes you don’t need all the configuration. Although it is nice to be able to add in-depth details about an issue, the simplicity of adding cards without details is what, I believe, makes Trello unique. I’ve always used Trello for personal development projects, lists for personal goals I would like to meet, and day-to-day tasks at work.

Development: Almost all the classes I took revolved around databases and development. Classes do not teach project management, so I started using Trello to track my teams progress for projects. Fast forward three years, I am working in a project management position. A few times each week I go to a coffee shop to continue development on side projects and stay up-to-date with the development standards, with the use of Trello. Keeping simple lists of pieces of deliverables is easy to do in Trello. Since it’s a side project, I personally don’t care about the details so a card with the title “Create UI for Admin Controls Page” is sufficient but having the option to add details can be useful!

Personal: Trello is also very useful when it comes to a personal agenda. A while ago, I was switching positions, laptop broke, moving apartments, driver’s license expired, resume needed to be updated, switching insurance…. and much more. I felt that life was overwhelming at that time but Trello came in to save the day! Trello has given me the ability to keep track of my personal wants/needs and be sure that things get done on time. 

Work: Our company has Jira implemented as our full project management tracking tool, with over 30 projects, associated boards, and workflows. Somedays are overwhelming and feel like there are a hundred things going on, or you cannot connect internally to Jira Server… this is where Trello is awesome. I’ve used Trello to track my personal work agenda at a high-level, while still using Jira to provide the in-depth details and dates. Trello is very useful during meetings to quick add cards as placeholders that are later converted into Jira issues for the team. 

Overall, Trello is an amazing tool that can be used in or outside of work. The simple idea of creating lists and adding cards makes usability so much easier. Being web-based, you don’t have to rely on anything (except internet connection). Although I will always be a Jira advocate, Trello is a great platform for personal or business use!

4 comments

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 26, 2019

@Thomas B I love a good Trello love letter — thanks for sharing, Thomas!

Like Thomas B likes this
Thomas B
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 26, 2019

Thanks! I also love the integration between Trello & Jira, it makes converting issues so easy. @Erica Moss 

Like Erica Moss likes this
James Bullock June 26, 2019

Your article is a great example, hitting what drives one or the other: individual / team, few projects vs. many (30 you say), direct flow-through w/ simple states (or "I know what that means") vs. complex workflows n subtle standards.

I have a collab tool briefing for execs based on exactly this: which tool for what?

Your examples also relate to a lot of the "adoption" questions around here, too. Nobody had to make you use Trello for stuff it helps with, that's important to you. Net, people will adopt a tool if it helps them do something they think is important. If an org or advocate has an "adoption" problem, they don't see the value or the need. They may be right.

Like Thomas B likes this
Thomas B
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 27, 2019

Thanks @James Bullock - the simple layout and ease of setup provide instant value, even if you want to track the status of a small project! Do you use Trello yourself? If so, what for? 

Thanks for reading!

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events