Trello dreams coming true today… more label colors available!

141 comments

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

vinc September 14, 2022

Do you guys realize how fundamental the change is that you just made?

I have been looking at this set of 10 colors for the last 10(!) years.

Every time I start a new project, invite people to think about something together...

It has been these same colors I am looking at.

My boards have always looked the same.

Now, you changed all of them, retroactively. And put dots on them ?!

Imagine the stationary company came into my home and changed the color of all my post its, even the ones from 10 years ago.

That's what you just did.

Like # people like this
Liraz September 14, 2022

The pale faded new colours are awful! It's hard to distinguish between the red and the purple for instance. Bring back the flashy and loud colours! Your attempt at a 'slicker' look just made Trello way less helpful! 

Like # people like this
Pracownia September 14, 2022

The new labels are tragic. I want to go back to the old version. 

Like # people like this
José Ferro September 15, 2022

I don't like the change. The label is something that must pop and highlight from the card instead of going unnoticed. Please bring them back.

Like # people like this
James Garrett September 15, 2022

The label change is SO bad. The stronger colours were much better as the whole point is to give clear indications of what's going on across the board. And now it just gives a feeling of confusion/clutter.

Please change back!

Like # people like this
Birk September 15, 2022

The new "Pastell / Aquatic" colours are really hard to destinguish.

For me Orange/Red or Dark Blue/Light Blue just look very similar now.

Its a lot more unpractical now, than it was before.

Please revert it back to stronger colours. The lighter transparency is not helping.

Like # people like this
michelle.nixon September 15, 2022

I agree! the faded labels are making me crazy; not at all as visually helpful to organize our work. Please revert to bold colors!

Like # people like this
Samy Djemaï September 15, 2022

@Brittany JoinerI have tried the colorblind mode, and found that it was even more confusing than the new label colors. A label is going to catch my eye way more easily using a flashy color and bold text than it is going to with abstract symbols which add even more clutter to the board, which I spend five days a week looking at.

Like # people like this
Ikayuro September 15, 2022

Just wanted to add my complaint to the rest of them, here. As an artist who uses Trello to keep track of my projects, the labels are now lost in the wash of color from my attachments. At the very least, give us a toggle to use the old ones instead.

Like # people like this
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 15, 2022

@Samy Djemaï got it, was just curious about if that helped but sounds like it's not your preference. Atlassian is monitoring this thread and having some internal discussions about feedback like this. 

There's also a link now next to the labels where you can provide feedback directly there.

Like crzy4mu likes this
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 15, 2022

@Ami Fazchas @Panagiotis @Erica Lake @Nathan Cobut @Hannah Moody  @Lori @Keith David Segura @Donna @snzer0 @Mr Obrien Michael @Philipp Ritz @Ryan Kerswell @Edouard Albert @Matthijs @Kinokee @Mark Leary @Samy Djemaï @Rio @prosas @Laurel Baker @Joseph Craigen @Искандер Нургалин @Ian @Achim Bergmann @Abubakr M Hamid @Sallie Draper  @vinc @Liraz @Pracownia  @José Ferro @James Garrett  @Birk @michelle.nixon @Ikayuro 

Trello wants to organize everyone's feedback on this so they can work on the next version of labels that hopefully addresses what everyone is looking to see. If you go to your Trello boards and underneath labels, you'll see a button for Leave Feedback. If you can go click that and share your feedback - preferably in a constructive way of what you'd like to see :) - i know that will be really helpful for the team to have all of that organized!

Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 11.17.24 AM.png

Like # people like this
Harjit Samra September 15, 2022

Please change the colours back!  This is a backwards step.  At least allow the option of NORMAL or PASTEL colours

Like # people like this
Donna September 15, 2022

Been given the ability to send feedback now is only a good opportunity, but if we had the option prior to the change, than that ability would of been a fantastic opportunity.

I know I have already written the time I had spent on the first day this change was push upon me [1hr to update project cards across 14 boards], however, I have since logged a further 3 hours going through all of my automations and updating them to reflect the label colours I use on my main board that sits above all other boards, its contains my main operation of my enterprise which consists of 6 entities [each entity, in fact, has their very own labels to which I have created a working machine that holds numerous lists that all operate from two (2) specific lists being template cards & checklist cards which work in conjunction of one another, & all have automations throughout the life of each month]. 

If there are changes again this will be another epic adventure 😥😣 - I have noticed though, that the colours I use in my 'Custom Fields' section have remained the same original colours that we all had, this has kept my levels of Priorities very much highlighted against the backdrop of each card now, so some food for thought for those who once used labels as there tag for Priorities...

Keep smiling folks, change is all part of growing even though at times we don't like it 😎

Like # people like this
Cam Lloyd September 15, 2022

Hi, I want to express my disappointment with the new labels that were rolled out by Trello recently. I basically want to pass on my feedback to the Trello team that I really don't like the washed out weak colours. I've edited my labels to be the darker shade but its not as good as before. I don't know how else to share this feedback with the Trello team.

I'm in a small team of three that use a free license Trello everyday in a small business. We would gladly pay for a license if you had more affordable options suitable for a business of our scale. We really enjoy the software and it has been transformational for our workflow. I've recommended Trello to many colleagues and clients. I'm surprised at how strongly I feel about the label colours, but it makes the point of the label almost redundant. Please roll back this change or at least give us the option to use the classic bright colours please!!!

Like # people like this
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 15, 2022

@Cam Lloyd If you can provide the feedback via the button inside of Trello, that's a great way to share your feedback directly with Atlassian!

I'm really glad you're getting enough value out of it in the free plan to not need to pay, but I don't know many SaaS tools that charge less than $5/user, so I'd be curious if you have found another tool that does the same things and would be more affordable? Jira actually has a lot of stuff in the free plan, like custom fields and views, and it's free for up to 10 users, so perhaps that's something your team might find more valuable and fits what you're looking for? Personally, I still prefer Trello. But I've also been very happy paying for it for years before I needed the premium features, so I'm not sure we're in the same boat there.

Like # people like this

@Brittany Joiner  - I love Trello, and have invited many people who have adopted it also. So far I haven't run out of automation usage that often, so the free plan still works for me. The last time I looked there was a massive leap from free user to paid user, so just making the point that I'd happily pay to use Trello if it was more affordable plan for what I do. That said its great that its free! Thankyou. 

Definately not a fan of the new labels, all my label automation rules are linked to the wrong lighter tones even though I've updated my label colours to the most saturated (and I don't know how to fix my rules now). Also my Android phone app is no longer displaying labels. So dissapointed... I'll try to place feedback via trello as you've suggested. 

Like # people like this

@Brittany Joiner  - I'll check out Jira too thanks

Like Brittany Joiner likes this

@Brittany Joiner 

Please see attached screenshot. I can't see how I can leave feedback through TrelloPicture1.png

Donna September 15, 2022

@Cam Lloyd for automations you need to enter into the automation arena that you will find on the desktop version [top RH Corner] and edit each rule individually I am afraid to reflect the labal desciption...

As for feedback, just click on the 'Label' button within your card and at the bottom you will find the feedback link.

Like # people like this

@Donna @Brittany Joiner  - Found the feedback button. Thanks for that Donna! 

Re: Automation

I only use Trello through a browser so maybe thats my problem? Ill download the desktop version I guess and try what you said. 

Like # people like this
Eyvi Bardason September 16, 2022

I want to add my name to the list of people who want to reverse this change or at-least give us access to the older colours, the new change reduces usability of the tags for at a glance info and greatly reduces the usability of urgency labels or the like. 

I like the additional colours but allow me to have the solid colour tags and not the subtle washed out colours with an additional dot that just serves as wasted space. 

Like # people like this
Harjit Samra September 16, 2022

Here's the feedback button:

1.png

Like # people like this
jamescollado September 16, 2022

I absolutely hate this change, finding cards is so much harder now!

The labels before would "jump at you" and finding cards was instant.

Now you have to consciously "scan cards" paying attention to the subtle color differences to find cards.

ROLL BACK PLEASE!!!!!  :- (

Like # people like this
Ashley Vucko September 16, 2022

Pros:

- I like that there are new colours, that was something we've been wanting for a very long time.

Cons: 

- The circle at the front of the label sucks. It is a waste of space and is confusing. It makes it look like all our cards have notifications now or something. Really big miss with that one. 

- Why was the deepest colour not set to the default to begin with? The medium shade is bad (and same with the light one). But if all my labels had not changed and I was given the option to create new labels or move over some less used labels to those colours, I would've been happy to. 

- The text needs to be bold. And if it doesn't fit because you put on the silly circle... yikes. Take off the circle pls.

- THE BIGGEST CON: I don't know if this is a bug to be fixed (would've been nice to throw this into a beta version first then launch it lol)... But please fix the hot keys. I used to be able to hit [1] [enter] and it would label the first label in that colour, or just that label if we only had one. This works on some colours? It will just bring up the menu for that colours labels on others and I have to click the label (and not hit enter)? Now with the new label colours I can't use the hotkeys for some of the labels because it will just bring up one shade of the colour, not even the little menu... so frustrating! [if someone else could help, that would be lovely lol]

Like # people like this
Samuel Chilcott September 16, 2022

Hello!

The availability of the new label colours is fantastic.

However:

• The label expansion speed is too slow.

• I'll admit to being such a fan of the old label expansion animation that I would rapid-fire press ";" just to watch it.
    • The previous label expansion, when pressing ";", zipped out on the x axis and then expanded down the y axis. This new expansion is too slow, and slowly expanding the x and y axis at the same time gets rid of the enjoyable zippiness.
  • The colours are too pale when the label is expanded.

• Previously, having the bold white label on the bright background made the labels feel fresh and strong. It was easily readable at a glance
    • The thin black writing on the pale background, by comparison, feels old and weak.
  • The dot clutters the space.
    • Previously labels were easily identifiable by their bold colours. The dot of colour feels like an annoying cluttering object, that lowers how quickly I can process a label.

All in all, the amount of new label colours is awesome, however, currently it feels like something that was fresh, strong and zippy has been made into something slow, old-fashioned and weak.

If you could keep the expanded colour range, but keep the bold colours, dot-free labels and the great original animation, then that'd be the best of both worlds.

Thanks for all the work you do, Trello team.

Like # people like this

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events