Paulo Alves on Trello, Jira, and camping

Paulo_Alves.jpg

@Paulo Alves is a Portuguese Software Developer at Xpand IT. He's a Jira user, but first dipped his toes in the Atlassian Product suite via Trello! Read on to learn how Trello solved his issue tracking problems in addition to his camping aspirations! 

When did you first discover Trello?

I discovered Trello four years ago while searching for free tools to improve software development processes and collaboration between me and my colleagues. While I studied Software Engineering, my university didn’t provide any useful tools that I could use to track issue progress so that I could share the project status with my teachers. I already knew about Jira because I saw a presentation from a company called Xpand IT. In the presentation, they shared some of their Marketplace apps: Xporter and Xray for Jira. Funny enough, I’m now working at the same company as a Software Developer of Xporter for Jira Cloud :).

Did you teach your colleagues about Trello? How has Trello improved your workflow?

Yes, I shared Trello with the rest of my class and many colleagues. Teachers even started using it at the university! Actually, I believe teachers are still recommending this tool to their students on some curricular units. Before using Trello, we didn’t have much experience with software development workflows and we worked in a pretty archaic fashion. There wasn’t issue tracking or any clear issue status, and definitely no definition of done! Trello brought us everything we needed at that time: Collaboration, organization, issue tracking and planning––all in a very interactive way.

softwareboard (1) copy.png

Can you share some examples of software boards you’ve created?

Sure! I dug up this board from an older account (As you can see it’s in Portuguese). My friends and I agreed to create a Marketplace app for Android Studio that was capable of creating SQLite scripts from a Relational model. (Comment below if you’d like me to translate this board!)

Trello_bonfires.png

Tell us more about your camping board! What kind of trips has it helped you to plan?

Two years ago, I created a simple Trello board to organize a camping trip. It was a three day adventure in Pontevedra, Spain which is really close to the beach. We had the opportunity to go to a great beach party called Bonfires of Saint John where we shared some traditional memories with our neighbors. In Portugal, we celebrate this day in a different way, so it was incredible to do things differently and see more perspectives. 

campingtrello.png

Now that I’ve access to a free instance of Jira Cloud and I’m working on Xporter – Export issues from Jira app, we will try to take this to the next level. I will invite my friends to a Jira instance and ask them to participate in the activities, creating issues, adding descriptions, comments, and attachments to the issues for example. The goal is to create an “album” using our app – Xporter – Export issues from Jira - describing times that we have shared together and that we can keep. With it, we can create a .docx template with placeholders that will be replaced with Jira information, like issues summary, description, comments and images.

0 comments

Comment

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Jun 20, 2018 in Trello

Get inspired with Trello & earn free Gold

A blank Trello board can be both a beautiful and intimidating thing. How many lists should I have? Is creating 10 labels overkill? How can I best track my progress? Is there a way...

17,123 views 0 18
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you