New Year, New Automations: What's New With Butler

It’s a new year, and that means a “new you” wouldn’t mind some help to get everything done, right? We’re thinking about how we can assist you in reaching those productivity goals in 2021—that’s why we’re making more automation command types available to all Butler users, including free plans!

Trello’s automation arm, Butler, is here to help shave steps off your workflow and amplify your output. Here’s what is new and now available to all:

• Scheduled And Due Date Commands
  • Email Notifications
  • HTTP Requests
  • Multiple Card And Board Buttons
  • New Butler Options Right From The Card Back

For more details, check out the Trello blog post.

What's your favorite automation? Share with us in the comments!

64 comments

Soumyadeep Mandal - SaM
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 15, 2021

Hi @Chris Kaundart ,

Now that's some cool updates!

Thanks for the update information!

Regards,

Soumyadeep

Like # people like this
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 15, 2021

Hi @Chris Kaundart 

So excited about the new features!

Thanks,
Pramodh

Like # people like this
Chris Kaundart
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 15, 2021

Glad to hear about the excitement and hope each of you find new ways to make those workflows more efficient! 

Like # people like this
Travis Hamera January 19, 2021

any plans to open up butler on the power-ups api?  Would love to see that to improve our workflow.

Like # people like this
Chris Kaundart
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 20, 2021

Hey @Travis Hamera, I'm not aware of anything related to Butler with the Power-Ups API, but I'll pass this along to the development team to consider.

Thanks for sharing your feedback!

Like Pedro Silva likes this
Dominic P. January 21, 2021

This is great, I'll definitely try out the HTTP requests in Butler to replace the need for web sockets.

Like # people like this
Ryan Williams January 31, 2021

Glad to see the new features. Any chance to have an upgrade for Gold users to increase the Butler quotas?

Chris Kaundart
Atlassian Team
February 1, 2021

Hey @Ryan Williams, Trello Gold does offer additional Butler command quota! The free plan comes with 50 command runs per month and upgrading to Gold gets you 200 command runs per month.

Thanks for commenting—let me know if you have any other questions around Butler!

carrie_eandm
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 1, 2021

Where do I start?!

I was an early adopter of Butler before it became a built-in feature for all users. Its helped our automation for the last three years - most importantly with moving completed cards from our projects board to our archive board!

When I started using Butler, I was writing the command in a card title. Now has an amazing interface to make adding/setting up a command with just a click of a button! We have commands set for a variety of items on boards, between boards, to send reports, and I even use it to track my personal book library!

Here's a screenshot of a few that help with housekeeping on our tasks board:

ButlerExamples.png

Here's a few from my personal book library board:

ButlerExamples_Library.png

@Brittany Joiner has a recent post about inactive card notifications that is interesting - I'm always learning new ways to incorporate Butler!

Like # people like this
Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 1, 2021

Well, mine is silly, but I'll share anyway. Maybe, I encourage others to share whatever they have. One of my Trello tics is keeping them the same standard. Cards with attachments display small clips underneath the title, cards with comments, a set of dashes, cards with checklists, the checkbox icon along with total/complete items, etc. What about cards with titles only? Well, Buttler takes care of that for me by adding a placeholder to give me the relief that all my cards are standardized in shape and size.

Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 9.20.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 9.22.30 PM.png

Don't you feel better when you get all your cards aligned, or it's just me?

Like # people like this
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 1, 2021

My favorite automation is 'Creating reports with Butler'.

https://help.trello.com/article/1192-creating-reports-with-butler

屏幕截图_20210202103509.png

Like # people like this
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 1, 2021

I wrote this article a while back, it's still one of my main automations:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Trello-articles/Trello-Subtasks-with-Butler/ba-p/1060392

Like Chris Kaundart likes this
Vongsawat
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 2, 2021

This is still by far my favourite automation, even though it doesn't do anything too crazy. I've got a bunch of these scattered all over my database.
image.png

Depending on the prefix, I can list out all the components I'll be using for a task, and it'll find and link it from a different Board, or create a new component card on that board.

Where the linkage is via the referencedBy checklist, instead of the unwieldy Trello Attachements. So that if I ever make any changes to the underlying component, I can immediately trace it back up to see what it affects.

Once it was up and running, having multiple API databases that all connected with each other with just a prefix felt pretty amazing.

Soumyadeep Mandal - SaM
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 2, 2021

Hey everyone,

This is a butler automation rule that I have made for a friend's Birthday party planning last week. I have modified the rule a little bit so that personal information can be hidden.

Screenshot 2021-02-02 210545.jpg

Regards,

Soumyadeep

Like # people like this
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 2, 2021

I've set up a board for house maintenance items that need to be completed on a regular basis. I just have two lists. The maintenance items and stuff that is due.

board.png

When an item comes due it is moved to the Maintenance Due list and an email is sent to me.

due.png

When I am done with the maintenance item I move it back to the first column and the due date it changed based on how the maintenance item is labeled. If it has the 6, 12, or 24 months label then the due date is incremented 6,12, or 24 months from today. If it has the yearly label then it is incremented to next year on the same day. Also, if the Early Spring or Early Winter labels are added to a card then the due date is set to a specific date (Mar 1, or Nov 1) for the current year. So, when I am done with the maintenance item I simply move it back to the House Maintenance Items list and it will reset the due date and remind me next time it comes due.

rules1.png

Like # people like this
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 2, 2021

My favorite automation? Just a really simple one. On one of my boards I'm creating tasks for myself. Sometimes I need help from others, but I'm participant of each card I've created. So the rule adds me as a member after the card is created by me.

rule.png

Like # people like this
Dan Ivory _Orah Apps_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 3, 2021

Here are some Butler demo videos of my favourite automations, so far!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyJ6ZNQXPc4Vj7xHhcDxga9-WbHIWxtcS

Any questions, let me know :)

Dan

Like # people like this
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 3, 2021

I love the due dates one! I'm using that in my current "life dashboard". With Butler, I have a card that is created every day with a list of habits, and sets the due date to end of the day. But i would notice those cards would sometimes get cluttered up in my "doing" list if i forgot to drag them over at the end of the day, so I use the Due Dates automation to move them over to "done" as soon as the day is over! (I can see how many habits I accomplished by looking at the checklist preview on the card!

image.png

Like # people like this
Chris Kaundart
Atlassian Team
February 3, 2021

@Davin Studer, love the use for home maintenance. I tend to forget some of these things, I may borrow this as inspiration!

Like # people like this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 5, 2021

I like the buttons feature.  Here is a simple example but it works great to reset one of the boards I use.

Capture.PNG

Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 5, 2021

Hi @Chris Kaundart 

I'm new to Trello and here is my basic Automation rules defined

Trello.png

Thanks,
Pramodh

Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 5, 2021

FYI,

Jira Issue created from Trello

Issue Created from Trello.png

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 6, 2021

I am new to Trello as well (especially to Butler) but it seems to work very easily - nice!

grafik.png

grafik.png

Maksims Busigins February 7, 2021

great news!

Chris Kaundart
Atlassian Team
February 8, 2021

Thanks for sharing @Pramodh M—I like how you are able to bring the two different tools together with Butler! 

Like Pramodh M likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events