Keeping Active with Trello

I used to keep track of my daily fitness in my calendar, and sometimes not at all. Experts say that it is difficult to create a habit if we don't do something consecutively for at least 21 days. As the saying goes it takes 21 days to make (or break) a habit and 90 days to create a lifestyle, so I wanted to keep myself accountable in the simplest way possible.

amorethanlittlemotivation48627.jpg

Since I already use Trello for all aspects of my life I created a Health and Fitness board, this was great for determining which activities and exercises I liked best or were most challenging, but I needed something more as an incentive for daily actions. I also tried the Trello Power-Up Card Repeater, but I wanted to be able to track my full progress in a quick glance.

I decided to keep everything in one card. I created a monthly checklist, and each day I  record what I had done. At the end of the month I would create the next month checklist, and move the checklist to the top of the card. I also added new challenges (squat, ab and arm challenges), as well as other exercises to the card to keep it for quick reference when I am travelling.

Here is what the outside of my Exercise checklist card looks like:

exercise 1.png

That checklist counter (up to 111 so far) on the bottom is what keeps me going, a bit of an incentive to see that number increase over time.

exercise 2.png

I could easily track my activity via Health tracker summaries etc, but for me I like to have this reminder in my master Trello board that I look at every day, so I keep exercise top of mind and a priority. Recording it manually each day is something I look forward to, tracking my daily progress. a sense of satisfaction crossing it off the list when it is done.

Do you use Trello for Exercise or other daily habits? I would love to hear your tips and tricks on this. please share in the comments below.

8 comments

Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 6, 2019

Another super-useful use case for Trello! :) I know that feeling when you Need to see that progress bar full.

Congrats on the article @Jodi LeBlanc  :)

Like Jodi LeBlanc likes this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 6, 2019

Thanks so much @Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_ :) Yes having that ability to check tasks as completed brings me back to the days of my paper and pen to-do-lists, so satisfying to mark off an item as complete :)

Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 6, 2019

Absolutely @Jodi LeBlanc :)

I still write down on paper my daily tasks just to mark them as done with color pencils :)

Like # people like this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 6, 2019

That's so awesome, I love that you do that @Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_ :)

LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 10, 2019

Thanks for sharing @Jodi LeBlanc - nice article.  I keep trying to graduate from written list to Trello but just can't seem to make the leap.  Perhaps I don't have enough (repeating) daily tasks or I have too many other places things are being tracked?

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 11, 2019

Thanks @LarryBrock perhaps move over to Trello gradually, for example do you have a renovation project you need to organize, or try moving your work items over first, and keep your personal items as pen to paper for now until you get into the habit of using it for work purposes. Also, consider using the checklist feature inside of a card, that way you still get the satisfaction or crossing out an item when you complete it, just like pen and paper. I wrote an article when I first discovered Trello, you may find it useful on how to get started: https://canadiangovernmentexecutive.ca/a-blank-page/

Have a great day!

Jodi

Rachel September 11, 2019

I really like this idea! I find trello works great for me for my work routines, and for the weekly checklists at home, but I hadn't figured out a way to make it work for building new habits. This might work! I think I will start a list specifically for "New Habits," and maybe add reminders to check it in my routine cards. 

Like Jodi LeBlanc likes this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 15, 2019

Thanks so much @Rachel - please let me know if you try it for establishing new habits and how you get along :)

Like Rachel likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events