How to get notifications about inactive cards with Butler

I was recently asked if there was a way to be notified when a card has been inactive for a certain period of time, and although there's not necessarily a certain way out of the box, but you can confiugre it with a few Butler rules so I thought I'd share. 

First of all, use the Custom Fields power-up to create a date field called "Last Updated".

image.png

Then, you'll need to create a couple of Butler rules to update that custom field when something happens on a card. For instance, when a comment is added, or when a label is added, or when a card is moved. 

image.png

Add as many as you want, based on what you define as "activity". 

Then create a final Butler rule that will share a notification when that Last Updated date is within your threshold. For instance, I chose being more than 3 days from now. 

image.png

Then just select how you want the notification! You can send it to Slack, add a comment on the card that tags the owner or everyone on the card/board. Or you can have an email or report sent!

9 comments

carrie_eandm
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 30, 2020

Oh man! So many Butler things! I may copy this for our projects.

I have started to update our legacy commands and it's crazy how quickly commands can now be written. Previously they were all hand-typed.

Like # people like this
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 30, 2020

Yes!! So much easier as it's more like a drag and drop sort of interface and you don't have to worry about syntax!

Like # people like this
Soumyadeep Mandal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 31, 2020

Hi @Brittany Joiner 

That's cool!! Thanks for sharing!

Like Vinod Ramadoss likes this
Vinod Ramadoss
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 31, 2020

Thank you @Brittany Joiner , Butler feature in Trello is very helpful, I have been exploring this feature and this post definitely helps. Thank you once again.

Like Soumyadeep Mandal likes this
Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2021

Thanks for this awesome share @Brittany Joiner - something that is more than useful and something I was looking for for a longer time now. Hope I can make it work with email notification!

Like Soumyadeep Mandal likes this
Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 7, 2021

This is awesome! No more sitting/missed cards. A little reminder goes a long way. 

Dan Ivory _Orah Apps_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 11, 2021

This is great @Brittany Joiner

Thanks for sharing :) Excited to give it a try.

Giuseppe Voci January 21, 2022

Thank you!! I've tried but unfortunately It doesn't work for me

Yegor Dovganich October 5, 2022

it's not needed any longer, it's much simpler now, there is 'N inactive days' filter available.

@Brittany Joiner maybe it's worth to fix this thread accordingly?

Screenshot 2022-10-05 185311.png

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events