How can I see all my Trello cards in one place?

I quite frequently see questions on the Atlassian Trello Community along the lines of:

"I have created a bunch of boards and now I want to view all the cards from those boards in one place"

Trello doesn't have a "native" way to do this. There is the Cards view which shows you a list of all the cards you're a member of in one place, but not all cards across all boards.

There are 3rd party tools such as Unito that allow you to sync lists and cards between boards and Placker that allows you to get a multi-board Gantt chart view (and others ...)

There's the (now) native Butler Power Up that allows you to link 2 cards together automatically.

However all of these solutions are kind of complicated to set up, and for most use cases there is a much better solution:

Use board filtering to create multiple "views" of one board.

For example, if you wanted to have several boards that had tasks for a bunch of clients you could instead create a single board and label each card per client, then filter the board by label to see only tasks for a given client.

You can filter a board to show only cards assigned to a particular member, and you can use the Calendar power up to show only cards that have due dates in a convenient calendar view.

There are a couple of scenarios where you absolutely must use different boards:

1) You want different people to have access to the information: Trello doesn't allow you to restrict information (for example to a given list or label) on a per member basis. Anyone who can see the board, can see everything on the board, and anyone who is a member of the board, can do anything on the board (including edit, delete, archive, move, rename etc.)

2) You have cards moving through defined "stages" and those stages need to be different for different cards: even though you can just have multiple lists next to each other and move cards of a certain label through different lists it gets a little cumbersome

Absent those 2 requirements, though, consider using filtering instead of multiple boards so that you can easily see all your cards in one place. You can read more about filtering here:

https://help.trello.com/article/787-filtering-cards-on-a-board

3 comments

marc -Collabello--Phase Locked-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2019

Thanks @Iain Dooley , great overview.

Sami Linnanvuo {Screenful}
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 6, 2019

There's also a free Power-Up, Epic Cards by Screenful, that was built for solving this exact problem - how to track progress of cards scattered across multiple boards. 

This blog post explains how it works:

https://screenful.com/blog/epic-cards-tracking-work-across-multiple-trello-boards

Like Jovan Jancev likes this
Emily Koch
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 30, 2020

Great overview! From my own experience, I've found that often using one board tends to provide more information, and filtering gives me the functionality that I previously thought only dividing boards would solve.

Like Shawn Kessler likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events