Creating a book club using Trello

Few days back I met a couple of people who had 1 thing in common - we all used to read a lot but due to various reasons have not been able to read much now.

We all decided that we need to do something to keep us motivated to continue our reading streak.

And then the idea of creating a book club was discussed and finalized.

We decided some simple rules for the book club:

1. Each member should read atleast 1 book a month.
  2. There will be 1 meetup every month where we all will discuss about the books we have read.
  3. Each member will have to present his/ her summary and thoughts about the book in the meetup.
  4. .....

Now we wanted everyone to be aware of what all the other members are reading, what are the books in the "To Read" list, which books have been completed by the club till now, how many books each member has read in a month, how many books the entire club has read in a month and a lot more..

And then I decided to use Trello for this.

I have just setup a Trello board for our book club. The board looks like this:

book-club.jpeg

The first list is the "Rules" list.

Here we have written the rules which have to be followed by all the members of the Book Club.

The second list is the "Books to Read".

Here the members will add card for the book which they will be reading/ wish to read.

Each card looks like this:

Screenshot 2019-12-31 at 3.32.57 PM.png

The third list is the "Read/ Done".

Once a member has read the book, the card will be moved from "Books to Read" list to "Read/ Done" list.

After a member has read a book, he/ she needs to enter the summary of the book in the "Description" field of the card.

The member also needs to log a comment if he/ she recommends the book to the members of the book club.

Once a month we will be organizing a meetup where we will discuss about the books we have read and each member needs to give a speech/ presentation with the summary of the book.

With this setup, we hope we will be able to keep us motivated to read more books and also improve our knowledge and communication skills.

I am new to Trello and I am quite impressed with how Trello made it really easy for us to maintain all the activities of the book club.

We will be starting our Book Club in January, 2020.

If you have done something like this before using Trello or if you have any suggestions or feedback for my Trello board, I would love to have your comments.

8 comments

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 31, 2019

That's a very interesting use case.  I never thought about using Trello for something like this!  Great Idea!

Like Deepanshu Natani likes this
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 31, 2019

This is first time for me too.

I will post another article after may be 2-3 months about our experience.

Like # people like this
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 1, 2020

oh wow!

Tim Keyes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 16, 2020

This is a cool use case for Trello.  Did the other group members have previous experience using Trello and the Atlassian Suite?

Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 17, 2020

@Tim Keyes : They have experience with Jira and Confluence but new to Trello.

But they are all loving trello :-)

Like Tim Keyes likes this
Alison
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 24, 2020

I love reading and hearing that you're introducing Trello to other avid readers! One suggestion is to use the spacebar shortcut so users can add themselves to cards. For example, people can indicate what books they're reading (it sounds like people can read different books each month) and that can spark conversations amongst each other. 

or you can use the voting power up so people can vote on their top reads for the year.

Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 26, 2020

@Alison  Thanks for your inputs. This will help :-)

Alice
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2020

This is a great example of Trello's flexibility. It's totally optional, but you could even add images of the book covers as attachments, this way they will show up as card covers and you'll have a more visual experience. But, still, I love the clean view of just the titles. 🙂

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events