Create new Trello cards from a form fill

Blue Cat Reports just released a new power-up I'm obsessed with called "Forms" that lets you create a form from a modal in Trello and then map out those form fields to specific elements in your Trello card (like due dates, attachments, or custom fields!) 

I'll walk you through how to set this up on your boards, and then I'll explain a couple of ways I'm planning to use this. For this example use case, I'm going to show how I use Forms to allow people to submit ideas for what they want me to write about on my How I Trello blog!

Setting up Forms on Trello

To get started, all you need to do is add the power-up to your board. Don't worry - it doesn't matter which plan of Trello you're on or how many power-ups you have already because every plan of Trello now allows an unlimited number of power-ups! 

Next, decide on what kind of information you want your cards to have.

Sticking with my example,  here's what info I decided I wanted on each card.

• Topic
  • Description 
  • Follow up 

I don't actually want to put any of those in custom fields, but if I did want to, I would go ahead and create those fields now before I map them out to the form.

Create your Trello Form

Now that you've decided how you want your information organized, it's time to create your form. This is super simple and my favorite part about Forms for Trello - you can do this within Trello and never have to leave your board. Just go to the "Blue Cat Forms" button at the top right of your board, and click "New".

From there, create the questions you want and match it to which parts of the card you want those answers to map to. They can map to date fields, custom fields, or the card description.

For each field, you can set it to be a required field, and you can specifiy which field maps to card title.

Take it for a spin

Once you've all your fields set up the way you like, you're good to go! Click the link button to try it out and fill out your form. Watch it create a new card with all the info on the board!

Share it with others

Just direct people to that link when you want them to make a new request or add a card to your Trello board. I currently have it linked in the first card of my How I Trello topics board because it's a public board so anyone can view it, then click the link, and make the request for a topic.

Make sure to subscribe to the right pricing plan

Now you've just got to pick out your pricing plan. It's based on total responses you get across all your forms. If you don't know what you need, you can select any plan and if you get close to the limits, you'll get an email warning you.

Other ideas with forms

I can see so much potential for this power-up, and if you have any use case where you want to get info in Trello without requiring someone to create a card, THIS is your solution. Here's a few that come to mind, but I'm sure you can think of others.

• New contacts (Use this with the Crmble power-up!)
  • Team requests 
  • Journaling 
  • Wedding/event rsvps. 
  • Expense tracker 

What have you been wanting to use forms inside Trello for?

19 comments

Robin Warren _Blue Cat Reports_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 15, 2021

Hey folks, Robin from the team behind Forms (and Blue Cat). Happy to answer any questions anyone might have about this :)

Like # people like this
AnnaRose Steger November 17, 2021

Can you add the form to the description of an already set up card? So when the due date of a card comes up, they can just go onto the card and click on the form from inside the card?

Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 18, 2021

Hi @AnnaRose Steger you could take the link to the form and add it into the description of a Card if that would work? Filling out the form would then create a new card in Trello.

Helen Downer February 16, 2022

Hi, Is it possible to add the person who submitted the form to the card? Most people that will be using my form will be members on the board and will need to receive updates when anything changes on the card, at the minute I dont know who has submitted the card.

Is it also possible to get a URL to the created card in the success message? 

Thanks

Marketplace Partner
February 16, 2022

Hi @Helen Downer ,

We don't currently support assigning people directy from the form but there is a work around. If you add a custom dropdown field to the board with entries for each person who could be assigned you can add that to the form. You will then need to create an automation to assign the member to the card after it is created based on the value in that dropdown.

Sorry it is a bit of a pain, we are making a note of these sort of improvements people want and will be adding more in time :)

Thanks,

Robin

Like Helen Downer likes this
Ella Mae Dablo May 31, 2022

Hello , I need help with how to make the items listed in the description to be editable and separate, like making individual fields for client name, address, claim number, etc. 

Silvia
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 2, 2022

Hi @Ella Mae Dablo , 

You can edit anything in your form, all you need to do is sign up for a trial https://trello.com/power-ups/6139de588901011c01baf52f/forms-by-blue-cat and start customizing your form. Our support chat in Forms is ready to answer any question you might have.

Cheers!

Silvia

Barry Liden June 15, 2022

Can you assign a form to fill out a new card based on an existing card template?

Silvia
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 15, 2022

@Barry Liden That's what we do with Blue Cat Forms, creating the form serves as a template and submitting the form fills out the card (you also receive an email).

Greg Brooks August 24, 2022

Good afternoon! I've created a form in BlueCat and trying to move it to a card. How do I do this and how can I send to the team that I'd like to fill out the form? Thank you! 

Marketplace Partner
August 25, 2022

@Greg From the form editor you can get the URL your colleagues can use form the 'share/embed' button up top. It is then just a case of them filling out the form there and new cards being created on your board :)

Like Silvia likes this
Kathryn Kasprow September 2, 2022

When I use the attachment feature within the form, I am constantly getting an error message for storage. What does this mean and how can I fix it?

Silvia
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 5, 2022

@Kathryn Kasprow what is the size of the file? Please also send us a screenshot of the error at forms@bluecatreports.com.

Kathryn Kasprow September 6, 2022

@Silvia It doesn't matter the size of the file, with any size I get the error. Please see below. Thank you! Screenshot 2022-09-06 125653.jpg

Silvia
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 8, 2022

@Kathryn Kasprow Thanks for sending the screenshot, we're investigating what might be the cause. I've sent you an email so we can follow up via our ticketing system.

Daniel November 2, 2022

Does this PowerUp also integrate with fields created in the Amazing Feidls PowerUp ?  Thanks

Marketplace Partner
November 3, 2022

@Daniel not right now, but maybe in the future :)

Like Daniel likes this
James Kember June 22, 2023

Hi, is there a way to change the email address that forms get sent to, it's defaulted to my account email but I need to add the rest of the team in so they also get notified when the form is submitted, or at least if I can update it to a centralised mail address.

Thanks

Silvia
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 26, 2023

@James Kember the way to update the email submissions are sent to is to add it as an Admin to Forms. Over in "More Settings" of each form, Admin users can pick whether they want to receive a copy of what is sent into Trello via Forms. With the Pro plan, one can invite an unlimited number of other Admin users. 

Cheers!

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events