Can you remember your first Trello board?!

I was writing an article about my history with Trello, going from free, to Gold, to Business in 66 days, and I found my Desktop original board!

I thought I would share it, it’s so simple and easy and unimposing. Nothing compared to what I have now with my million PowerUps (ok, more like 6) and Butler commands and rules for days! But it’s always nice to look back and see where we came from!

So with that in mind - here is my original Desktop board, from 8 February 2019!

Original desktop (1).jpeg

It was so small and neat! 

I hadn’t even subscribed to Gold or added Butler (because they’re in a list to action!) and I don’t think I had any PowerUps on! I’d made a few labels, but nothing really personalised

I was so innocent back then!

Not to mention, very pink!

The version of my Desktop board that I use now (2 February 2020), won’t even upload to Tinyjpg when I take a screenshot of it, it’s that big! I can only grab small sections at a time! But you get the idea!

Screenshot 2020-02-01 at 21.24.22 (1).png

I now have coloured lists (only available on Google Chrome by using Pro4Trello and CSS colours), I have enabled Trelabels for Trello Chrome Extension, I have card covers on almost every card, most of which I’ve designed with Google Slides, I have labels for days, and 6 PowerUps (Custom Fields, Google Drive, Calendar, Cronofy, Card Repeater, Countdown), and of course Butler (with 19 rules, 7 card buttons, 6 calendar commands and 3 due date commands) and everything is super awesome!

I made my own background (with Google Slides of course!), I have Business Class so I can upload my own. You know when you’ve watched a film 100 times (ok, maybe not 100, but you know what I mean!) and suddenly you watch it again and something just speaks to you? Yeah, I had that randomly whilst watching Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire for the umpteenth time, when Dumbledore says to Harry “We must all face the choice between what is right and what is easy”. Something just clicked with me, no idea why, but it just spoke volumes to me, and hasn’t ever really left me! 

So I made a board background from an Unsplash photo by Jacob Kiesow which I downloaded. The original picture was top to bottom, so I moved it to the side and flipped it so that the purple was on the bottom, then copied & pasted it and flipped it to make a frame of two of the same picture, then used the Euphoria Script font to make the text in the middle. I have written an article on how to make card covers for Trello using Google Slides, and this can just as easily be used for board background (just change the size of the slide, in this case, I changed it to 5210 x 2880 pixels (my iMac screen size)) to make this:

We must all make the choice between what it right and what is easy (1).jpg

And, because Trello is so wonderful, I know that this board probably won’t look anything like it does now in 12 months time, Trello is a work in progress for me and I will always be changing and adding and taking away and finding more efficient ways to do things!

If you're just getting started on your Trello journey, I would encourage you to periodically take screenshots of your boards, then you can see how you've changed over time. And if you don't change over time, you have the perfect board straight away and that's amazing and I'm proud of you! 

Do you have pictures of your original boards? 

Do you ever find pictures of previous boards and think “wow, that’s so different/simple/not me anymore?”

Share them in the comments!

Let’s celebrate our Trello journeys!

6 comments

Jason H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 2, 2020

My first Trello board was a glorified packing list for a motorcycle trip. My latest is a twist on GTD which helps me to remember what I need to do and what I've achieved.

Like Esme Crutchley likes this
Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2020

That's awesome @Jason H!

A motorcycle trip sounds exciting! Where did you go? What bike was it? Hubster and I have had everything from a Honda VFR 400RR NC24 to a Triumph Rocket III, so we love hearing about other people's bikes!

We're currently rebuilding the NC24 as we sold it many years ago and it was completely ruined, but we managed to buy it back about 2 years ago so we're in the process of bringing it back to its former glory!

Hubster currently has an Aprilia RSV Mille, without a pillion seat (insert grumpy wife face here!).

How are you getting on with your GTD? It's so great that you're keeping track of what you've achieved!

Jason H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 3, 2020

I was packing for a trip from Sydney to Phillip Island (to watch the MotoGP) via dirt roads and forest fire trails on a KTM 1290 Super Adventure R. I've done it twice off-road now - it's an awesome trip.

Like Esme Crutchley likes this
Emily Koch
Atlassian Team
February 5, 2020

My first Trello board was used to divide work between my team. It's grown a lot since then, and definitely is still my most-used board.

@Esme Crutchley can I mention I love how stylish your boards are? The first one is so clean and sleek, and the second one you showed off looks great with the colored columns!

Like # people like this
Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 6, 2020

Thanks @Emily Koch, I love having coloured lists, it's just a little something, but I love having more colour!

I think it's Pro for Trello that I used for them, I don't use most of the options that this extension has, but I love having coloured lists on Trello on Chrome.

I use CSS colours to decide which ones to have.

Pro for Trello adds the ability to change the list colour and the list width in the 3 little dots at the top of the list. Alas, they only show up on Chrome.

Screenshot 2020-02-06 at 08.40.53.png

Like Emily Koch likes this
Alison
Atlassian Team
February 7, 2020

My first Trello board was a simple To Do list for work. Since then, Trello has wonderfully entered my personal life and I've used it to plan trips to Brazil and Mexico. 

There are so many power-ups and extensions, I didn't know about colored lists but now I'm going to give it a try. Thanks for sharing how your Desktop board evolved @Esme Crutchley !

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events