Fields in Issue Tabs

Angela Madden May 21, 2013

Can I use the same fields in Multiple Tabs of individual Issues?

6 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Angela Madden May 22, 2013

Thanks for the info.

Looks like I'll be creating fields named State 1, Region 1, etc. It would be nice if in the future JIRA would allow for the same field to be used across multiple tabs in 1 issue.

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 22, 2013

Hi Angela, first of all welcome! I was in the same spot as you a little more than a year ago ;) There's a lot of docs and a lot of help in AA so don't worry in a couple of months you will be almost an expert on JIRA...

Now to the point, I don't think having the same field on different tabs will be a possibility since it will be worthless, even if you have the possibility to do that the field only can contain one value so I don't see the point of having this...

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 2, 2019

There is tremendous value in this.  With service desk you can map multiple request types to a single issue type, and have an overlap in fields in the request types.  If you want to break out the field tabs by request type that won't be possible without overlap.

Like lophat likes this
lophat December 7, 2020

I agree that this has value.  I can have different team members that only care about particular fields.  It would be great if they could click a tab and see only the 3 fields they care about.  Even if they were on another tab with all the fields.

1 vote
Kim Weathersby September 12, 2013

I would like to add the Attachment field to multiple tabs for an issue. Is this possible? We have different tabs for different teams, and I would like for them to be able to do everything they need to on one tab.

0 votes
MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 21, 2013

Also, is the fields meant to be modeling the same data or 4 different addresses??

0 votes
MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 21, 2013

I assumed you were talking about a view screen, but are you trying to do this on an edit screen?

0 votes
MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 21, 2013

None that I know of. A field wil be on the screen once. Once it's selected it disappears from the list of available fields. Also, some types of fields will appear in defined places in the issue view screen. e.g. Dates, users. Might be able to hack something in jquery but not advisable.

I'm a beginner to JIRA. My manager dropped it into my lap without any training or know how, so I'm flying by the seat of my pants to create issues. Modeling the same data. Screen Scheme for specific issues - I'm creating 8 different issues / tickets for a project all using some of the same fields.

MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 22, 2013

Hi Angela,

Well first thing is don't panic! There's lots of help here and we're generally quite happy to help someone new.

If you wanted, you could use different screens for different issue types

If the address fields you want to add to the 4 tabs are the same address, then you can only have them on one tab, they will have to get used to that. Maybe seperate it out to it's own tab called Address.

If the 4 tabs refer to 4 different addresses, you could create multiple address custom fields. e.g. State1, Region1, Country1, State2, Region2, Country 2. etc

There's a lot of information here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Fields+and+Screens

Does any of this help?

0 votes

Additional info: for example, I'm creating a JIRA ticket called 'Publication Startup' which contains 6 tabs with specific fields. In 4 of those tabs, I've got to add State/Province, Region & Country drop downs. I have added them to the 1st tab, but when I go to the 2nd tab, these fields aren't showing in the list of Fields to add. Totally confused on how to make this happen.

Suggest an answer