What are the pros and cons of working in Tech?

Bridget
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
August 17, 2020

Hi everyone! 

I was recently asked by a student from my alma mater about the pros and cons of working in tech. I thought it was a really excellent question - we often advertise the highlights of our industry to young people who are interested, but rarely share the downsides! 

So, I'd love to hear from you - what are some of the pros AND cons of working in Tech? What do you wish you knew before that you know now? 

Can't wait to hear your answers :). Happy Monday!

Bridget

8 comments

Comment

Jens Kisters //SeibertSolutions
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 17, 2020

Con: Murphy was right and sometimes you find yourself right in the middle of it 

Or as i like to phrase it internally: Computers can be *$%&@! :)

But still then its a hate-love thing for a tech <3

Pro: You can spend six hours failing to automate a three hour no-brainer task ;)

Like # people like this
Bridget
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
August 24, 2020

LOL! "Computers can be *$%&@! :)" might be the quote of this week :). 

Patrick Joerg August 17, 2020

Con: There is not much you can do without looking in a lamp the whole day.

Pro: You don't need to know much to impress non tech people (Like I do :-D )

Like # people like this
Bridget
Community Manager
August 24, 2020

@Patrick Joerg SO true! Sometimes I want to just become a woodworker or something ;) 

Hilarious pros and cons! 

Darryl Lee
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 1, 2022

lol My whole family still consider my job as Steve Jobs.

Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 18, 2020

Pro:

• You get to work in a ever changing environment.
  • There are opportunities to learn new skills.

Con:

• You might spend a lot of hours just fixing a single problem.
  • There might be so many feature requirements by a client to an App which makes development difficult.
Like # people like this
Bridget
Community Manager
August 24, 2020

SO true, both on your pros and cons. I totally empathize with taking hours to fix one single problem. And of course when you focus for 10 minutes, things just click! It's the focusing that takes skill ...

Thanks for answering, @Prince N 

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 6, 2020

There are cons for working in tech? 😉

Knowledge work tends to be an art more than a science. If you want really straightforward work, there are niche jobs in the tech industry that can give you that. Otherwise go into lawn care. 😂 (Actually not a joke...)

Like # people like this
kientrucnamcuong January 15, 2021

The downside of working in tech, you can easily interact with so many friends online, they may not feel the need to go out and make real friends. Unfortunately, this later led to loneliness and depression.

Clark Everson
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 17, 2021

Pros...no two days are alike

Cons....bad things happen at the worst possible times

Like # people like this
Darryl Lee
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 1, 2022

Totally agreed from a Support Engineer side.

Darryl Lee
Atlassian Team
April 1, 2022

The pros is definitely the flexible working style it is.

The cons I can think of is my eyes are sore all the time.

Like Craig Nodwell likes this
Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 20, 2022

Pro : Satisfaction manipulating technology to meet requirements
Con: Chasing the unknown to manipulate technology to meet requirements that have never been required by anyone anywhere ever.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events