What's your current side project?

Gezim Shehu [Communardo]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 7, 2019

Hi there,

As members of the Tech group, I'm assuming some of us are geeks even after 5pm (lol).

I currently have my eyes at Flutter, as I like to code from time to time just for fun and it seemed like a good idea to have that code available in different platforms.

What's your current hot topic? I'd love to hear what others are interested in.

giphy

Cheers

8 comments

Comment

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 7, 2019

Hey @Gezim Shehu [Communardo],

Great question!  As we recently moved from Jira Server to Cloud, I've been tinkering with Atlassian Connect, to see what I might be able to do, so I've been dusting off my node js skills which I haven't used in a few years.

-Jimmy

Like # people like this
Gezim Shehu [Communardo]
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 7, 2019

That's cool.

Hope it all comes back fast hehe.

allison.ruby November 7, 2019

Greetings!!

I am a creative outside of work and utilize Trello for custom client orders. I'm incredibly impressed with the versatility and automation options! I can't get enough of it!

I've been toying with the idea of creating a side-gig where I'll be a freelance software support consultant for creatives (procreate, adobe creative cloud, etc) and using JIRA Service Desk. My career is at a large agriscience company and have first hand seen the power of Atlassian tools for making work easier :) 

Gezim Shehu [Communardo]
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 7, 2019

Hi! That sounds quite interesting. What do you create mainly? Is it graphics or also video?

Robert Orta November 7, 2019

@Gezim Shehu [Communardo] 

What kind of apps are you building?

Gezim Shehu [Communardo]
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 7, 2019

No app yet, just messing around with the docs. ;)

Alice
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 8, 2019

Oh, nice! I've recently become one of the moderators of a large Discord community and I'm helping with bots and automation so my side project is basically learning how to make them properly work.

We have a channel solely for certain social media updates so I'm tinkering with IFTTT and webhooks to make things easier.

Like # people like this
Robert Orta November 8, 2019

That's interesting. These are automated updates to the Discord channels about announcements?

Alice
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 8, 2019

@Robert Orta exactly that 🙂

Gezim Shehu [Communardo]
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 11, 2019

Great work!

Alice
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 11, 2019
Dara November 20, 2019

Since I just rolled into the IT-field about a year and a half ago, I'm mostly working on learning new skills. Recently decided I should just learn some coding, as I've always found it interesting. Learned HTML last week and I'm currently working on CSS and Python :). I'm finding it a lot of fun, and seriously considering finding some side projects to apply these new skills to. Need to have a look what though, maybe I can start helping out my step-brother with his website-building company :).

I also have enough non-tech geek stuff keeping me busy though. I run part of the Dutch Pathfinder (it's like D&D but different) community and am working on writing some fun demo-adventures myself. Still toying with some ideas to put together a cool multi-table special!

Robert Orta November 20, 2019

Welcome to the group.

I've found that Udemy and Coursera are great sites for learning.
But the prices add up, if you can swing it a subscription to LinkedIn gets you their learning module. Plus, you get to add the certificates of completion to your LinkedIn profile as your accomplishments.

Dara November 20, 2019

Yes, I bought a few Udemy courses when they were on sale. Occasionally they all drop to about €10 per course, so I find that a good time to line a few up. I have a course on Java and C++ standing ready for when I'm done with Python.

I've also been using Codecademy lately. It's pretty nice!

Robert Orta November 20, 2019

Great, you are on your way.

If you want to challenge yourself with your new skills, there's https://www.hackerrank.com/

Like Dara likes this
Justin Alex Paramanandan
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 24, 2019

Heya peeps!

Not really a side project, but on some nights, I have random thoughts on what else can ScriptRunner can do. Once I have an idea, I tend to load up IntelliJ, put my geek cap on and start scripting on it! :D

Not really new in Groovy scripting (started in 2014), but didn't really get a chance to dive deep into it until late 2016. Now, I'm just looking into pairing up Automation for Jira with ScriptRunner with some automations for the common questions that our users enquire every day. :D

Gezim Shehu [Communardo]
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 25, 2019

Hi there,

That sounds cool. Hope we see a good article about it :)

Like Lenin Raj likes this
Mike Clarke December 5, 2019

Hi all,

Not so much a side project, but I like to keep involved in the software testing community by helping to organise meetups, and helping to coordinate the Black Box Software Testing courses.

I'm having my first run as an assistant instructor in January which is exciting.

Longer term I'd like to create a suite of testing courses and deliver them online, not sure when or how, but one day :)

Like # people like this
Gezim Shehu [Communardo]
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 5, 2019

Wow that sounds great! Will definitely like to check them out once released.

Good luck in January :)!

Robert Orta December 6, 2019

Black Box is a nice tool, good luck with that side project!

Jason H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 13, 2020

I haven't started actually building anything yet, but I've been reading about integrations on Slack. It's such a great platform for build dev-automation integrations.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events