💙 Ethical design in tech

Bridget
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
October 20, 2020

It's no secret that the tech sector has built (and is building) processes and systems that exclude vulnerable users by designing “nudges” that influence users, users who end up making privacy concessions they probably shouldn’t.

Read more about the ethics of this problem here, and to see one of my all-time favorite memes :).

Let me know what your take is on ethical design in tech, and also be sure to post a funny cartoon/meme in the comments below. 

7 comments

Comment

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2020

What one person might find ethical, another might not.

If a person (or company) releases a product with potentially dark patterns, they should be transparent (when possible and practical) with its users on why the product is designed in a specific way. I do love Atlassian's take on this: "Don't forget to show your work".

Like G subramanyam likes this
Ricardo Cerceau May 7, 2021

Let´s be more ethic everywhere!!

Like # people like this
BitcoinTeamSupport October 19, 2021

Ethical design requires more creativity. In my case, I like creative people and I work well with them

Like Julian Dumitrascu likes this
NelCapeTown January 13, 2022

A few days ago I read the bio of someone who is an advocate to make tech teams more inclusive.  I think that is also an important way in which tech design can be more ethical - if the teams producing the products are more inclusive.

Like Gabriela Cavalcante likes this
Marjorie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 31, 2022

I think ethics are foundational.  We know what is right and we know what is wrong. Ethics to me is doing the right thing even if nobody knows or will find out. 

I don't believe ethics is situational. I think people make excuses as to what they want to think is ethical and therefore the difference arise.

We have had so many examples of unethical decisions in the recent history. I feel if it makes you cringe inside, you know it is unethical. 

Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 20, 2022

It's sadly true when it comes to business, most ethics exist only when the bank account is either deep or non existing.

Ram Kumar Aravindakshan _Adaptavist_
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 28, 2023

Thanks for sharing

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events