Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you managing releases in Jira? And how?

Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 12, 2019

Hi ðŸ‘‹,

How are you managing your releases and are you doing it in Jira?

I'm asking because in the company I worked before we used to manage releases in Jira for each project and we were doing release trains.

Then we moved towards Continuous integration (but not delivery) and we're merging all issues to master and deploying twice per week. With this change, we stopped using Jira releases and we just run script which posts on Slack every time deployment is done the list of PRs from github which were released.

This solution kinda works because it's not that manual BUT we're missing the information in Jira itself and we can't really filter and see from there what issues have been released and when.

3 comments

Comment

Ana Bolanos November 19, 2019

As a Release Manger, the tickets that were merged and were part of a release were tagged for that release.

We used dates, as we had weekly releases. If you have all the tickets from github, I think you would be able to follow a similar approach. 

Aimee Smith
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 21, 2019

Hi!

Do you have GitHub integrated with Jira? Are you using smart commits? You could add to your CI process and have the build job use Jira's API to add the release version to the Jira issues when a new release is created.

That would keep Jira updated and not require manual work.

Like • Alex Laycy likes this
Ana Bolanos November 21, 2019

Hello Aimee,

Yes, that is a good idea. However, not for how we work w/in our business unit.  We are considering having the status auto update when a commit is done. The devs do not change the status. JIRA could be used a lot more. I'm working on that. 

Enjoy the rest of you day!

Alex Laycy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 9, 2019

Hi Nikki,

If your sending a JSON message to Slack via this script, as part of that script you could also send a Webhook message to the JIRA automation plugin. That plugin could then update any issues based on certain criteria.  

With the amount of times it sounds like your doing releases, the lite (free) version might be worth having a look into.

When it comes to managing releases here, we're effectively using the approach that Aimee has outlined. 

- Alex

Like • Tim Keyes likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events