Will the PlaySQL plugin stay free of charge?

Stefan Eike
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2013

Hi Nicolas,

as you wished, a new and fresh question.

Do you plan to release the source code of the plugin or to charge money someday for the plugin? Unfortunately a plugin which we use was free to use until last year and now we have to pay hundreds of euros every year for it. My boss was not very amused and because of that I need to make sure, that this does not happen again. Of course, you spend a lot of time developing it, but I want to avoid surprises like that again, therefore I'm cautious with installing free plugins.

Best regards

Stefan

1 answer

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Answer accepted
Adrien Ragot 2
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2013

Thanks Stefan,

In my planning, the plugin which displays tables will remain free of charge. I even hope to build an API so that other plugins can rely on it. I plan to make money on extensions to this plugin, for example:

• Graphs,
  • Reporting,
  • Forms, surveys and other integrations,

They all rely on the base plugin, it's your guarantee that I will maintained it. Also, charging for the graphs, reporting and integrations is your guarantee that I will be motivated.

Little print:

I don't commit on a date for the development of the three items I've listed, it's just a list of ideas. I don't commit yet on the API either because it requires the plugin to be more mature: I'll be confident on the API after I develop the graphs. Hope it sounds legitimate.

I offer support for Hsql and Postgres. I don't offer support yet for Oracle or MySQL. I've tested it and it works because it's JDBC, but there are cute features like Autocomplete for tables and columns or Table Browser which may be deactivated in non-supported vendors.

As a summary:

• If you want tables only, it's all free,
  • If you want advanced features like autocomplete, it's Hsql and Postgres only for the moment,
  • If you want graphs and reports and ... and ... then you need to wait for the paid plugins.

Does it help?

Stefan Eike
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 14, 2013

Hi Nicolas,

thanks a lot for the detailled explanation. I'll test your plugin and appreciate your openness. That's fair and nice.

Good luck!

Stefan

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events