Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone used the Team Health Monitors introduced fall 2016? (And the Team Playbook?)

Ron Lichty April 19, 2017

Tell us your experience using Team Health Monitors and the Team Playbook?

6 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

3 votes
Answer accepted
Ra Acosta June 16, 2018

We had the chance to use them last year with a couple of teams, it was a great experience. The guys came pretty critical to their health and most of the times these games make a good play on the conscious of the team, so changes kind of flow naturally. Another thing to consider is the organisation's culture, if there isn't an agile mindset and the empowerment the team needs and deserves to reach their goals, changes on team's health are not fast enough.

Anyway, every agile coach should use it and try to integrate on the flexibility and capabilities the Atlassian products have.

Screen Shot 2018-06-16 at 6.17.44 PM.png

Dominic Price
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 4, 2018

Thanks for sharing your experience and ideas. Very much appreciated. I also agree that you need a culture around openness and willingness to share the good and the bad, to actually make the right progress on this.

3 votes
Boriana Todorova _Sofia_ ACE_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2017

Hi Ron, we have done the health check for almost a year. It has been very useful with the Team Playbook. 

We have done few plays but they brought dramatic change in the team: changing tools for project management, creating brand new wiki space, etc.

The best was that the team owns the change and is very motivated in driving the changes.

What I notice is that sometimes the project team lead is seeing the Team Health as an evaluation for his work and that it might take some convincing. The good part is that after the first health check everybody is happy J

I am not sure how often should a team do the Health Monitor. We try to do it once a month but it does not always make sense.…?

Dave May 19, 2017

Thanks Boriana!  I hope to see you again at Summit in San Jose

Bernie Ferguson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 28, 2017

Hi Boriana, we find that teams will tend to run a Health Monitor each month or for some teams it replaces every second retrospective. A scrum team for example would run a sprint/retro then sprint/health monitor. Then repeat.

If that makes sense?

Leadership teams tend to run the Heath Monitor less frequently, usually quarterly.

But there's no set rule to what cadence you should follow, really that comes back to the team and making sure you are using the Health Monitor to drive your performance and become healthier.

I hope that helps?

Ron Lichty May 28, 2017

You may find useful: Henrik Kniberg discusses frequency of using his (earlier) team health model/assessment process at https://labs.spotify.com/2014/09/16/squad-health-check-model/

Boriana Todorova _Sofia_ ACE_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 29, 2017

Thanks Bernard! The idea of replacing a retro with Health Monitor is great. Will try that :) 

Dominic Price
Atlassian Team
June 28, 2017

For anyone wanting more info, there is a webinar explaining more and some tips of how to get started;

https://www.atlassian.com/webinars/software/team-playbook-more-guidance-less-process

Ron Lichty June 28, 2017

Awesome, Dominic. Thank you! Will check it out.

3 votes
Dave May 18, 2017

I plan to share with my team though I haven't yet.  I know that over 600 teams have put into practice, so I'll try to find out their experiences to share.

Dave May 18, 2017

I found one Atlassian tools user (Boriana Todorova) and will loop her into this conversation

Dave May 18, 2017

I believe Ron is looking for more examples and this might be more of a discussion thread than one solution to the question.

3 votes
georgia wright May 7, 2017

We were super lucky to have Dom run the Atlassian Health Check with our Global People Experience Program team at Xero! 

We found it a really valuable process to go through as a team and the style and approach of the session suited our people and culture - it's very relaxed, open, simple but super insightful and engaging. It helped us raise the important questions, provided enormous clarity on areas we were just ignoring, and pinpoint where we need to invest more time so that we ensure we are operating as a high performing team.

Having a skilled skilled facilitator like Dom to run the session, in particular navigate some of the more difficult conversations that arose, was particularly helpful. He sets a high bar so for us to run these internally at Xero we'll need to channel his prowess! 

3 votes
Ethan Foulkes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 21, 2017

Hi Ron,

We were fortunate to have Dominic Price come and run a couple of health monitors for us a little while back and the experience was great. I think Atlassian has done a great job codifying these things so that they are easy to understand and execute. I don't think my teams knew quite what to expect going in but they all got involved and energy was great!

We are planning to run the follow-up plays on our own next week and then eventually do another round of monitors on our own. I'll report back on those experiences later. Interested to hear what you or others say!

Ethan Foulkes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 28, 2017

Follow up on this. We broke the group into 2 teams and ran The 5 Why's exercise. Both sessions had very similar discussions with the same core problem chosen and similar root cause identified. Process flowed easily and rubber chicken was a hit! =)

SGD
Atlassian Team
August 8, 2017

Ethan, great to hear! I'd love to pull a quote (maybe paraphrased slightly) from this to include in an email we're sending out to the Team Playbook user community later this month. Could you ping me at sgoffdupont@atlassian.com with your company name and job title, please?

2 votes
Chris G May 9, 2017

I've seen that the Playbook is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. So the first question is:

Q1: Are you guy working for None profit organisations?

And the second question is:

Q2: If not, are you paying anything to Atlassian to incorporate the Team Playbook within your business?

It's really vague as to what breaches the licence and I need to make sure using the Team Playbook to improve our teams dynamics won't breach any licences.

Bernie Ferguson
Atlassian Team
May 16, 2017

Hi Chris,

Bernard here from the Atlassian Team Playbook team (I'm the full time owner of the Team Playbook).

The Team Playbook is licensed under Creative Comms as you mention so you are free to share and adapt as long as you attribute Atlassian and if you build on and share you do so under the same creative comms license.

It's free as we deeply care about teams and our mission at Atlassian is to unleash the potential in every team. 

Creative Comms details are here: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

Using the Team Playbook to improve your team's dynamics is exactly why we open sourced and published the Team Playbook.

The only request we have is that you give us feedback. Use the "Give Feedback" form on the site to send over your feedback. We can't improve without your feedback.

Cheers,
Bernard

Like Camilo Gomez likes this
Hazmee ming July 19, 2021

Yes, but please give me a chance next time.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events