When will Jira make Team object a first class citizen?

Tarang September 27, 2019

For Atlassian their stock symbol is TEAM?

Yet isn't it odd that Jira does not have a Team object as a first class citizen, where one can define team members and there after use the Team object to identify with the Team backlog, assign issues like epics, stories, bugs, tasks to a Team. This is critical when it comes to multiple teams addressing a single Product backlog and the desire to see things through the lens of the Team vs. individuals.

As I imagine this is unlikely to rise to the top of their Product Roadmap, I recommend Atlassian changing their NASDAQ ticker to No-TEAM

3 comments

Comment

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 27, 2019

Hmm.. You got groups in Jira. Can add people to groups and use them as you want actually. Not sure why we need another special object for team. 

Abdulkarim Itani September 27, 2019

I feel @Tarang has a point, it would be cool if we could define team and a team lead 

Tarang September 29, 2019

As a ‘group’ is fundamentally not a ‘team’.

We have large groups as an organizational entity. Similarly Team is an organizational unit that has a tighter relationship for its members than do group members.

jchu
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 29, 2019

Hi @Tarang - thank you for this message. I'm a product manager at Atlassian, looking after a new concept called "Teams" which is pretty much what you outlined above. I outline a little bit what we're thinking here, in my community post.

We would love to chat with you more as we are trying to understand what we should prioritise in our roadmap. If you're available, please sign up via this form and I'll reach out to organise some time.

Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 15, 2020

Hello @Tarang

This has actually started shipping to production! Confluence now holds the concept of teams and the people groupings ripple across products. Expect team mentions to be everywhere in a while!!! 🚀

Dongmei Li February 21, 2021

@Fernando Bordallo may I query which version of JIRA will have this Teams field as first class citizen?  

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events