What teamwork quotes inspire you?

Natalie
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 15, 2018

Hey everyone! My name is Natalie and I'm an editor of the Atlassian Blog and I've got a question for you: What's your favorite quote about teamwork? 

We've compiled a list here, along with some beautiful visuals you can download and include in your next presentation, or even print out and hang up in your office. 

Check it out, and let me know what YOUR favorite teamwork quote is -- we might even be able to include it in our blog post! 

Thanks all

https://www.atlassian.com/blog/inside-atlassian/good-teamwork-quotes-youll-like

Teamwork quotes_1_Biz Stone@2x.png

13 comments

Comment

Craig Castle-Mead
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 15, 2018

In a similar vein to the Robert Ingersol quote  

“a rising tide lifts all boats”

CCM

Natalie
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 15, 2018

Ah I like that one! Funny enough someone at work said that today in a meeting. Thanks, Craig. 

Robert Albert August 15, 2018

How will i go about this?

Bridget
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
August 16, 2018

Hi Robert! I'd recommend you do some good old research (Google works!) on leaders you admire. From there, you can see if there are any good quotes by that person about teamwork or about work in general. <- That's just how I went about it! 

Alana Fernando
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 16, 2018

I love. Its funny and true. 

“If you take out the team in teamwork, it’s just work. Now who wants that?” 

by - Matthew Woodring Stover

Natalie
Atlassian Team
August 16, 2018

haha yeah who really wants that? Good one

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 16, 2018

So I'm normally one of those people that rolls their eyes at the motivational expressions and in fact find more value in the de-motivational sarcastic ones. :-)

It isn't that I don't believe in the message, just that they often feel so forced or corny.

I'm a big believer in teams and that is the way I prefer to work in almost every situation.

Having said that, here is a quote from Amy Poehler that I came across years ago that she delivered during a graduation speech. It really resonates with me and I believe speaks to the true value of teamwork.

"Find a group of people who challenge and inspire you, spend a lot of time with them and it will change your life forever." - Amy Poehler

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 16, 2018

LOL....I guess I should have read the link to the one's already posted because my choice was there already! DOH!

Natalie
Atlassian Team
August 16, 2018

@Jack Brickey Yes! I completely agree teamwork quotes can be way. too. corny. That's what inspired me to write the post in the first place. But hey I'm glad that's one you like too. 

I also like the one by Abraham Lincoln, "I don't like that person. I should get to know them better." It acknowledges that working with others isn't always easy but that's not an excuse for us to judge and shut people out.  

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 16, 2018

@NatalieI have so much respect for Abraham Lincoln as a human being more than as a President(his life, his failures, ....). His quotes are unforgettable. one of them that inspires me the most is: "It is better to aim high and miss than to aim low and get there."

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 16, 2018

@Natalie, that indeed is a great quote and one I have never heard but will now remember.

BiancaE
Atlassian Team
August 21, 2018

Oh, what a great quote by Abe, @Natalie! I hadn't heard it either but I really like it.

Natalie
Atlassian Team
August 22, 2018

@BiancaE right? Love his humility there

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 16, 2018

"None of us, including me, ever do great things. But we can all do small things, with great love, and together we can do something wonderful." - Mother Teresa

Like Alison likes this
carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 21, 2018

Very inspirational and humble

Craig Castle-Mead
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 16, 2018

If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up people together to collect wood and don’t assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.– Antoine de Saint Exupery

(variations, original quote etc discussed at https://quoteinvestigator.com/2015/08/25/sea/ )

Natalie
Atlassian Team
August 16, 2018

That is such a good one! Beautifully written

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 16, 2018

There's one I have printed and hung on my wall, by Marie Curie:

You cannot hope to build a better world without improving individuals. To that end, each of us must work for his own improvement and, at the same time, share a general responsibility for all humanity, our particular duty being to aid those to whom we think we can be most useful. 

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 17, 2018

This is one one my favorites when I am thinking of a teamwork

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9e/58/f4/9e58f45562e49abe5e09a0a32860a2e0.jpg

Like Alison likes this
Deleted user August 19, 2018

"The whole is more than the sum of its parts" Aristotle, metaphysical.

Like Alison likes this
Deleted user August 19, 2018

"The lone genius is dead, long live the team" Sven Peters, Team advocate

Natalie
Atlassian Team
August 22, 2018

Love it. And, hi Sven! Nice to see you here :) 

Like Alison likes this
carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 22, 2018

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” Margaret Mead

Like Alison likes this
LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 29, 2018

One of my favorite Benjamin Franklin quotes:

We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately.

Also ran across this one from John Connally which seems rather applicable across the political spectrum these days:

A democracy unsatisfied [by support of the people] cannot long survive…. We live in probably the most turbulent and tormented times in the history of this nation. Criticize … disagree, yes, but also we have as leaders an obligation to be fair and keep in perspective what we are and what we hope to be.

Thanks for sharing everyone!

Like Alison likes this
Natalie
Atlassian Team
October 30, 2018

Wow, wise words indeed. That Ben Franklin quote is powerful - especially considering the historical context in which it was written! 

I really resonate with the idea of "disagree, and commit". It's something we use on our team that helps us recognize that even if we don't all agree on a particular tactic or decision, we are still committed to the larger goal.

I wonder if/how that could play out in politics as well. Perhaps it's something along the lines of disagreeing, but still being committed to the general well-being of our nation. Too easy to forget that when issues are so divisive. 

Alison
Atlassian Team
January 22, 2020

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

— Albert Einstein —

Like # people like this
M Amine
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 22, 2021
Like Natalie likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events