What makes a great leader?

Paz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 16, 2017

I'm not talking about mere competence, I'm asking what makes a leader great?

As a company grows, broad management structures can become difficult to maintain. Forming teams and designating leaders can simplify reporting, and help encourage effective teamwork. It's easier to hear and be heard when a team is small, but even leading small teams will have its challenges.

What's interesting to think about is how many different ways there are to approach a challenge, 

How does a great leader behave, talk, or work?

How can the tools you use at work help people that lead teams to do their job better?

Can you think of a time when a team leader went above and beyond to help their team? Or a time when they took a unique approch to a sticky problem?

Feel free to respond to only one, or all, of the questions posed here. And be sure to think about the less conventional ways a great leader behaves.

1 comment

Comment

Eva Kasiak June 8, 2017

Hi John, 

great call with the topic. And eventhough I am sure I have seen this many times before:) it is never enough to discuss it.

Leaders are the managers of the future, people who have passion and vision. They do manage in a "soft" approach, trying to find out what is good in team member than to just say do this work. 

Good leader is the one who pay attention to each individuall and try to put one into the right role in the team, there is nothing worts than being incorrect person with the incorrect job.

Great leader need to have this 6th sense and need to be good psychologist in respect of seeing the values and advantages of each individuall and making sure such individual values will contribute to the rest of the team, because the work scope will actually be adjusted to what a person can do best. 

I wouldn't say that great leader need to go above and beyond to help the team I would rather say great leader is great communicator, clear guidance maker, goals achiever and he can make the rest of team following him and his vision. Leader trust and believe people can do, and motivates them to achieve. 

Like Sanjog Sigdel likes this
Paz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 7, 2017

Thanks so much for your reply!

I agree with everything you've described. And I think all great leaders tend to have one thing in common, and that's great communication skills!

While some may not be the talkative type, one can also communicate by showing. 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events