How to make workplace communication suck less

Alice M
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 30, 2019

Hi!  I wrote this article about communication on the Atlassian blog in May.  And I'd love your feedback.   

How to improve communication in the workplace

It covers the three reasons we all suck at communicating and has ten strategies for improving your communications. 

Communicating is the most important thing in our lives and the hardest thing for us to do well. Transferring information from one person to another via any path will always be inherently difficult and fraught with danger… or it will until we have the Vulcan mind meld (haha!). But honestly, I don’t want you touching my face. So I propose we find another way to negotiate this obstacle course.

comm02.jpg

^^^ and my handy-dandy, hand-drawn diagram of how communication works.  Simple, right?!

I thought of this as a Communication 101 article.  I think you can help me come up with a good idea for a follow up Communication 201 topic!

My questions for you are:

• What do you like about the article?
  • What would make the article better for you?
  • What other communication topics interest you?
  • What communication challenges have you faced in the workplace (stories, pls!)?

3 comments

Comment

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 30, 2019

Bridget helps many Atlassian Authors in the community (even if I cannot tag her now her surname is not visible) and I am sure she could help you. :)

Like Bridget likes this
Alice M
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 30, 2019

Thanks!  Bridget and I know each other well. :) Great tip!

Like Kat Warner likes this
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 30, 2019

It is hard to know as you Atlassians are widely distributed over the globe. :)

Like # people like this
Alice M
Atlassian Team
September 30, 2019

So true!

Capi [resolution]
Marketplace Partner
October 1, 2019

I love the drawing! It contains so much in so little space, and you have a great hand. It'd be great to have similar drawings in 201 to summarize tactics. 

Like Fernando Bordallo likes this
Alice M
Atlassian Team
October 1, 2019

Thank you!  I've been working on improving my drawing skills for a while now. :) 

Like Capi [resolution] likes this
Capi [resolution]
Marketplace Partner
October 2, 2019

It shows!

Like Alice M likes this
Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
January 15, 2020

Same here! I can see myself using that lovely diagram at some point in the near future ;)

Like Alice M likes this
Fabian A. Lopez (Community Leader - Argentina, Florida, California)
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 21, 2020

@Alice M thanks for sharing this and for using a drawing in your article, it really adds value and encourage others to try other ways of sharing their expertise.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events