"Teamistry" Season 4 Episode 3...let's discuss for a chance to win swag!

shannyshan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 6, 2023

teamistry (1).png

Teamistry explores the chemistry of teams that achieve the impossible through collaboration. This season takes on a docuseries format as we deep dive into Concorde: the world’s only supersonic passenger plane to have taken to the skies. Concorde is a testament to what happens when teams go beyond borders, egos, and politics to make the impossible, possible.

⭐️ LISTEN & SUBSCRIBE

If you haven't already, check out the conversation around Episode 1 & Episode 2, then respond to our Episode 3 prompts for a chance to win some Atlassian swag 😎 (we'll randomly select a winner from this post the week of Jan 16). 

Episode 3, The Big Bird Flies! prompts: 

Respond to at least one prompt in the comments for a chance to win Atlassian swag!

• In this episode, we learn more about how the teams in the U.K. and France strived for excellence together: This was an example of each side being willing to admit when they were wrong or if the other side had simply come up with a better plan. John Britton is clear that on their own each side could not have accomplished what they did together. What do you think about this culture of healthy competition in the name of getting to the best end product? Have you encountered a similar paradigm at work?
  • This episode also dives into some major external pressures/threats (political, environmental, etc.) the teams were facing. Have you ever worked on a project that was affected by macro pressures/threats? How did you handle it?

Thanks for listening and participating. 🙌

9 comments

Comment

Dagim Sisay January 9, 2023

I anderestande it is fine

Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 9, 2023

I found it interesting how the British team adapted once Dudley proposed the changes to overcome the wind resistance even though they had already prepared some of the pieces. Interesting quote about how "the right side won." I think this is good to keep in mind and is goes back to breaking down communication barriers within (and across) teams. One part of good communication is being open to others' ideas. In this case, if the British had just ignored Dudley's ideas and weren't open to another idea being "correct," then this change might not have made its way into production.

I found the last portion of this episode interesting - thinking about how much changed throughout the lifecycle of the Concorde. I think this is similar to my workplace. When we go through and groom our tickets, sometimes I'm amazed by what has changed in just a few short months. Thankfully, we're rather agile and able to adapt quickly to changes. We're fortunate to not have political and environmental factors changing our "course."

Like # people like this
shannyshan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 17, 2023

Great points!! And love that you pulled out the "the right side won" quote - such a good reminder of seeing the bigger picture and getting to the best outcome for customers rather than the best outcome for yourself. 

Like # people like this
shannyshan
Atlassian Team
January 17, 2023

@Amanda Barber Good news! You're our winner this month 🥳 Reach out to me at swinter@atlassian.com to receive your code for our merch store

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 17, 2023

Nice job @Amanda Barber !! Enjoy the merch!!

Like Amanda Barber likes this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 18, 2023

Yay! Thanks, Shannyshan and John!

Like John Funk likes this
Omar Mohamed Fathi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 26, 2023

Congratsss

Like Eslam Gamal likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 11, 2023

I think there almost always ends up being some type of external stress when you experience success - for whatever reason. So it's not surprising that you end up with outside forces wanting to control things and have it their way to get some type of gain out of it. And when things go poorly, those are the first to desert and run. Yes, I have definitely seen that, and am better prepared for each time it comes along. It's quite shocking the first time it happens though. 

Now on to more cheery stuff.  :-)

I think healthy competition done in a fun way is a great way to go. Always keep the camaraderie in the midst of that, knowing that next time, the opposition might be your teammates.  :-)  Competition tends to dive people forward when done in the correct manner. At the end of the day, shake hands and may the best man or woman win!

Like # people like this
shannyshan
Atlassian Team
January 17, 2023

+1 @John Funk! Especially like this tip: 

Always keep the camaraderie in the midst of that, knowing that next time, the opposition might be your teammates.  :-)

Like # people like this
Saralie S.
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
January 31, 2023

love!

John Williams February 1, 2023

Interesting podcast!

Paloma Fondon Araujo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2023

Interesting!

Joel Gituma February 14, 2023

Reporter: It's quite a compliment for Kenya to have been selected as the area for these tests showing that Kenya has reached a considerable degree of technical sophistication, wouldn't you agree with those people?

Perez Olindo: If I was going to be hanged and someone complimented me for being chosen, I would not agree with him.

Kenya ? Technical sophistication ? In 1970's ? Who was this repoter ? lol !

Like Sam Nadarajan likes this
Sam Nadarajan
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 19, 2023

Ep 3 is still keeping my interest! 

• Healthy competition is good - key word is "healthy." Unfortunately, the line is often frayed or meandering between healthy v. unhealthy - that's why instilling core values and getting to an agreement in how teams operate is important to establish beforehand! At my work place not at a team level - hard to justify competition if it means 2 or more entities are working on the "same" thing, but when a roadblock is encountered it is important to think of unorthodox ways of breaking through that barrier.
  • Yes, it's not easy and in my experience my ego got in the way of innovating faster. I found that promises were broken and seemingly out of the blue there was pressure to get things done faster. I must say that I didn't handle it very well (internally - externally I was polite) but with more experience under my belt I can appreciate the people that tried to reduce the noise and keep things stable for us.
Omar Mohamed Fathi
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 26, 2023

love this thread :D

Like Eslam Gamal likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events