When has a work friend turned into an IRL friend?

Kristen Roth
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
December 15, 2021

Research shows that having a “work bestie” can increase your job satisfaction. Work friends not only make you happier—they also make you better at your job.

Have you met one of your closest friends through work? Have any tips for making work friends in a hybrid/remote environment? Let us know!

IRL.png

7 comments

Comment

Anita Kalmane
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 16, 2021

Regular 1:1 chats with ppl you enjoy talking with. And sharing some 'secrets'.

Like # people like this
Kristen Roth
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
December 16, 2021

Love this. Don't underestimate the power of sharing little 'secrets'!

Jonathan Whitford December 16, 2021

I am really enjoying Teamwork Lab. I've met a few friends that I see regularly throughout my career. 

For hybrid environments if a group can get together for lunch in the office I think that helps create connection. Also creating shared interest groups on Slack/Teams or another platform is a way I've met other people at work virtually.

Like # people like this
Kristen Roth
Community Manager
December 16, 2021

We're glad you're here, @Jonathan Whitford !

Shared interest groups on Slack are great. Since so many Atlassians don't live near any of our offices, we have a number of Slack channels that are specific to certain cities/states/countries. They're such a nice way for us to meet and feel connected to our local teammates!

Like # people like this
Christine P_ Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 16, 2021

My ProTip: respond or react to when people share something personally in group chat messages, even if it's just a "wow" or "I didn't know that" level of a response. Those little things bring people together, especially in a space where it's scary to share something personal due to not seeing facial reactions.

Like # people like this
Kristen Roth
Community Manager
December 16, 2021

Great tip, @Christine P_ Dela Rosa . The simple act of acknowledgement goes such a long way.

Like # people like this
Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 29, 2021

Thank you @Christine P_ Dela Rosa - that's absolutely great! Putting yourself in someone else's shoes is often the fastest (maybe not the easiest way) to find together. 

Like Christine P_ Dela Rosa likes this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2021

I am borrowing this excerpt from an earlier post.

I started using Confluence in the early 2010's at my previous company, and there Jake Lawson and I formed a team that was focused on building our Confluence instance into the single source of truth every day. We really had captured lightning in a bottle, and I am thankful to him every day for giving me an ideal to strive for. 

As a result of this four years of effort, Jake became a lifelong friend and brother to me. Although he is in Dallas, TX and I am in New York City, I still refer to him as my right hand, years later.

Like # people like this
Kristen Roth
Community Manager
December 16, 2021

Love this story of building a Confluence instance while also building a friendship, @Andy Gladstone. Thank you for sharing! 

Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 29, 2021

Show empathy and no matter how stressful work might be - always have some time for your colleagues to listen to them. You don't need to help them sometimes it helps if someone listens 👂

I found out for myself that real friends from work are those that not only laugh with you but are also those who cry with you 💪

Found one of my closest friends (who is my boss now) during my student job over 10 years ago - we went through laughter, cry, got lost, had close contact and now work together and it's awesome 🤷‍♀️

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
January 3, 2022

@Fabienne Gerhard you're lucky that it is working out! I have had numerous friends as bosses and it can sometimes be amazing and sometimes... not so much. :) 

Like Kristen Roth likes this
Svenja Lorenzen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2022

Open up and create closeness. Catch up on a conversation, remember little details your opposite is mentioning. See if you have something in common or if you don't try to show interest in your colleagues interests.

I met one of my best friends at work and I'm super happy I did. 👯‍♀️

Like # people like this
Kristen Roth
Community Manager
January 10, 2022

👯‍♀️ Thank you for sharing, @Svenja Lorenzen !

Anne Saunders
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 10, 2022

I met my partner at work. We work in different shops now, but we met he was a new-to-our-shop Sr. Dev and I was his BA. Apparently he liked me organizing his work life enough that he wanted me to boss him around at home, too. :D

Really, it was all about the support and opportunities to be there for one another. I helped him with his onboarding; he helped me decompose some tasks I hadn't encountered previously; I helped him find his footing in some of our tools that were new to him; he taught me how to use regular expressions in a script I was writing. When we both came out of decade-long relationships around the same time at the beginning of the pandemic, it was a natural progression from there.

Like # people like this
Kristen Roth
Community Manager
January 10, 2022

Love hearing how you supported each other at work and the relationship grew from there. Thank you for sharing, @Anne Saunders ! 

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2022

Apparently he liked me organizing his work life enough that he wanted me to boss him around at home, too.

😂

Like Anne Saunders likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events