TIPS & LESSONS FOR 2022: Turn FOMO into JOMO

Jenn Velázquez_Appfire_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 13, 2022

Advice

We all know the feeling of “FOMO” or fear of missing out when it comes to working. You may feel like your entire work will crumble without you steering every single thing on time and often end up doing too much with nothing left over for yourself! 

You need to breathe. Trust your team (they are there for a reason), and practice JOMO (Joy of Missing Out) – joy/happiness outside of our 9–5 jobs helps take a load off, and fresh ideas come into fruition.

Relevancy for today

Every New Year brings new goals. With 2022 starting and we trying to juggle work, personal projects, and family, it’s easy to feel the world around us turning chaotic.

So, the more we start enjoying JOMO, the more decluttered our heads will remain for the rest of the year, making it easier to have the capacity to tackle upcoming challenges and hit milestones.

13 comments

Comment

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2022

OMG. So well said and a state of mind I never contemplated. Thank you for the sage advice, I am certainly going to put this to work!

Like # people like this
Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2022

I think that many of us needed to google JOMO 😁 and yes please we do need more of that!

I must admit I'm a bit of FOMO myself but I'm working hard on not being one. Anyways the best ideas that I had usually came up while I was walking my dog and not thinking of anything!🐕

Let your mind fly and it'll surprise you.

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 13, 2022

This is an excellent point @Jenn Velázquez_Appfire_ . It really hits home for me. Most of my career I landed squarely in the FOMO arena but as I approach retirement in a few years (?) I can honestly say I am quite comfortable with JOMO.

Like # people like this
Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 14, 2022

You might be right. The older we get, we get comfier with JOMO! Maybe that's what we usually call getting wiser 😁🙃

Like # people like this
Loïs Bégué January 14, 2022

I like the "JOMO" idea ;-)
I do practice "Kaizen" and "YAGNI", combined with "FFF" (aka fail fast forward). That is ensuring me I won't miss the "joy" of missing out ...

Like # people like this
Patrícia Fortunato Montenegro January 14, 2022

Wow, @Jenn Velázquez_Appfire_

You share something fundamental: that we just need have more humor, joy, and no charges when we miss something. It's like no stress about anything, and as Nikki said, I do need more of that!

Thank you so much for sharing your point of view, and welcome JOMO to our lives.            🥳🥳💚💚🤩🤩

Like Trish Sammer likes this
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 14, 2022

That's a great piece of advice! We should try to focus more on JOMO for mental health and well being. Thanks for sharing!

Christine P_ Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 14, 2022

That's nice packaging for the idea of ruthless prioritization. A positive spin on something that's had negative stigma, but truly, is something we could all use!

Ajay _view26_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 16, 2022

Great advice @Jenn Velázquez_Appfire_ 😀

Personally  I need to take your advice seriously in 2022!

Anita Kalmane
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2022

Love this! 

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 17, 2022

Very well put @Jenn Velázquez_Appfire_!

With a new baby girl at home this is something I want to embrace this year.  I would much rather spend time with her and her older brother in the younger years when they want me around.

Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 18, 2022

Congratulations on a new baby @Jimmy Seddon ! I had no idea, that's amazing 🥰

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
Trish Sammer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 24, 2022

Great reminder! Since the pandemic, I've noticed more and more that I'm sometimes happy when things are canceled. (My inner introvert has come raring back to life in the Covid world.) I've also come to realize that my free time is precious and I don't want to spend it on obligations that take up my time but do not bring me joy. 

Gaurav
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 11, 2022

Great article @Jenn Velázquez_Appfire_ It really does touch a nerve about FOMO with awesome advice on JOMO. I will try to imbibe this...

Jenn Velázquez_Appfire_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 11, 2022

I'm glad you found it useful @Gaurav

I'm still working on this myself but, little steps go a long way. :) 

Belto
Atlassian Team
March 23, 2022

Finding a way to disconnect yourself from your devices after work hours really helps with this. Great article @Jenn Velázquez_Appfire_ 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events