Plays of the Month: How to tackle common teamwork challenges

Kristen Roth
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
January 25, 2022

Teamwork has never been more important than it is right now. And good, effective teamwork? That comes from teams made up of people with diverse skill sets and backgrounds who approach and view the world differently. While differences are essential for top-notch teams, they can present a few challenges, too.

At Atlassian, we’re no strangers to the challenges of teamwork, and we’re always eager to share the struggles we’ve encountered and how we’ve attempted to fix them. Here are a few issues you may have noticed within your own teams, their warning signs, and what to do about them:

• There’s a lack of trust

• ⚠️ Warning sign: Team members aren’t communicating, being authentic, or taking risks.

• 💡 What to do: Establish Working Agreements. Create a list of expectations for every team member so you can work together successfully and avoid misunderstandings. 

• Team goals seem to be unclear

• ⚠️ Warning sign: People are optimizing for different things or jumping from project to project.

• 💡 What to do: Pause your work and get on the same page. Use an exercise like Project Tradeoffs to help your team agree on what to optimize and employ the OKR method to avoid confusion while setting goals.

• Personality conflicts

• ⚠️ Warning sign: There’s a tense vibe within the team and debates heat up quickly.

• 💡 What to do: Have the team get to know each other better and learn how to effectively work together by sharing Personal User Manuals. These include sharing communication and feedback preferences, as well as what each person needs from the team to be successful.

Now we'd love to hear from you: What are recent team challenges you’ve faced at work? How were you able to overcome them?

26 comments

Comment

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 26, 2022

@Kristen Roth great article. 

A recent challenge that we have had, as mentioned elsewhere in this community, is finding the time to meet as a team. With the turn of the calendar to 2022 and a full product roadmap, combined with more demands on our time to meet via Zoom, we are having a hard time coordinating TEAM time. TBH we have not solved the problem yet - and everyone is performing well - so it’s been a nice to have and not a need to have. My fear is that culture will erode without the FaceTime. 

Like # people like this
Kristen Roth
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
January 27, 2022

Totally hear ya here, @Andy Gladstone. I wonder if incorporating a little bit of "non-business" time into your already-existing meetings might be a good way to keep those friendly team connections going. Maybe a quick, fun icebreaker question to kick off your team meetings? 

Like Andy Gladstone likes this
Wouter Bruinings
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 16, 2022

Hey @Andy Gladstone

How are you and the team doing some time later? Has anything changed? Have you had more FaceTime? 

Tips & tricks :-)?

KR,

Wouter

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2022

@Wouter Bruinings the struggle continues. No progress, yet.

Wouter Bruinings
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 16, 2022

Still performing well?

Vero Rivas
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 27, 2022

Hi @Kristen Roth 

First challenge to team up on a new project, with each of the remote team members in different locations and generate that atmosphere of trust, team, harmony and commitment on the part of everyone to move the project forward, in the end we succeeded and now we are a cohesive, strong, united team and to go from work we also have times to have fun and enjoy 15 minutes a week just to laugh and talk about trivial non-work things

Cheers

Like # people like this
Kristen Roth
Community Manager
January 27, 2022

So glad to hear this, @Vero Rivas! 🙌

Like # people like this
Ajay _view26_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 28, 2022

Thanks for sharing the wonderful post @Kristen Roth !

With remote working its all the more important that all the mentioned challenges are addressed for getting the team from good to great 😀

Like Kristen Roth likes this
Kristen Roth
Community Manager
January 31, 2022

Thanks for giving it a read, @Ajay _view26_! For sure. Remote teams can absolutely be great teams, too!

Marjorie
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 31, 2022

Nice examples, thanks for the information @Kristen Roth 

Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 31, 2022

@Kristen Roth 

My thought on this would be

Don't get intimidated by others, rather if you feel empathy & have friendliness, sharing things, the above-mentioned things are obsolete

Kristen Roth
Community Manager
February 1, 2022

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, @Pramodh M . I agree that a little empathy and friendliness go a long way!

Like Pramodh M likes this
Ram Kumar Aravindakshan _Adaptavist_
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 13, 2022

Very good article. The suggestions are really good.

Srinatha T
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 22, 2022

Thanks for sharing the article @Kristen Roth 

Karthick S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 25, 2022

Good one @Kristen Roth with efficient solutions for the problems!

Darryl Lee
Atlassian Team
March 28, 2022

I would like to call out the importance and the essentials for one of the Atlassian Values, Open Company No Bullshit, which helps build up strong trust amongst everyone on the team.

Srinatha T
Atlassian Team
April 4, 2022

@Darryl Lee  Agreed. 

James Richards
Atlassian Team
April 4, 2022

I struggle with time zones. As a team over several continents it's really difficult to find times and overlap to meet. This leads to lack of communication.

Elizabeth Barr
Atlassian Team
April 6, 2022

This is definitely a challenge, but I think async bonding is still possible. Just harder, for sure!

Like Srinatha T likes this
Connor
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 21, 2022

With a fully remote workforce I find maintaining communication with my co-workers challenging.

Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 30, 2022

Great article! Thanks for the advice! With a fully remote workforce and never having met any of my coworkers, I am shocked at how I have gained relationships with my team and gotten them to trust me. 

Okan Erdogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 20, 2022

Great post! I'll certainly follow the steps and make sure we're all on the same page!

Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 20, 2022

Great suggestions, will try to incorporate the steps listed to help 

Sakina
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 7, 2022

great Suggestion!!!

vikram
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 6, 2022

thanks for sharing the information @Kristen Roth 

Its really helpful for remote work nature we are presently going through.

Our team is scatterred world wide but everyday we meet in scrum call which builds teamwork

Vikram P 

Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 7, 2022

Hi @Kristen Roth , your answer reminds me of the book The Five Dysfunctions of a Team by Patrick Lencioni.

Summary:

1. Absence of trust
    The fear of being vulnerable with team members prevents the building of trust within the team.
  2. Fear of conflict
    The desire to preserve artificial harmony stifles the occurrence of productive ideological conflict.
  3. Lack of commitment
    The lack of clarity or buy-in prevents team members from making decisions they will stick to.
  4. Avoidance of accountability
    The need to avoid interpersonal discomfort prevents team members from holding one another accountable.
  5. Inattention to results
    The pursuit of individual goals and personal status erodes the focus on collective success.
Like # people like this
Sayed Bares [ServiceRocket]
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 10, 2022

Thanks for sharing @Dave Mathijs , I will give it a read

Kai Becker
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 24, 2022

Thanks for the reminder @Dave Mathijs 

Shivam Desai December 19, 2022

I think with all said, Individual mindsets play a vital role to tackle this thing.

Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 6, 2023

Don't always assume that the same people have to do the same tasks when you start a new project.  I agree, some people are good at specific tasks, but you also need to cross-train so other people can grow the team's knowledge too.

Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 6, 2023

Change is hard.  Without buy in, change can also be unpredictable and unproductive.

Paul Wiggers
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 31, 2023

I have ran the Working agreements play and that helped a lot. I will certainly look into the other plays to see how we can improve inter-team relationships.

Sidar Yarar April 21, 2023

Great Article,  I think empathy is the keyword in teamwork.

Like Michelle Yip likes this
Michelle Yip May 15, 2023

Great read, particularly enjoyed the part about how teams can lack the teamwork if we show up without being our authentic self. 

A reminder also to our daily selves, that we can also give space for ourselves and others :) 

Manoj Gangwar
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 23, 2023

Great article

Anthony Morais
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 14, 2023

Great post!

Ankush Bora January 17, 2024

Big fan of 'working agreements'. Although I would love for teams to do more of that together.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events