Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Play of the Month: Don’t skip that project kickoff meeting!

Edited
Kristen Roth Atlassian Team May 24, 2022
It can be hard to stop yourself from charging full speed ahead when you’re excited about a new project idea. :woman-running: 
But taking the time to establish project goals, define success, predict potential blockers, and plan out all the nitty-gritty details that come along with complex projects can’t be something we overlook. A good project kickoff meeting will set you up for long-term success and set the stage for the entire project. It’ll help ensure that our teams will hit the ground motivated, engaged, and focused and the project’s key stakeholders are all on the same page.
The most important aspect of the Atlassian Team Playbook’s Project Kickoff meeting involves sharing the project’s purpose by determining the project’s Vision, Mission, and Mission Tests. They’ll help provide inspiration and meaning to everyone involved in the project.
Here’s what we mean:
  • Vision: the impact your team will have when the project is completed.
  • Mission: the team’s work in achieving the Product Vision.
  • Mission Tests: how do we know this project is successful?

The Project Leader creates the initial Vision, Mission, and Mission Tests prior to bringing the whole team together, and then shares them with the entire project team at the beginning of the Play. The team will be broken out into smaller groups during the Play to refine the initial statements. At the end, the full group will be brought back together to present and discuss each newly-revised statement and the team will then make any agreed-upon changes.
Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 4.54.47 PM.png
Do you make sure to run project kickoff meetings with your team? Are they worth it? And how does this style of project kickoff meeting sound to you? Let’s chat in the comments!

8 comments

Big fan of a Project Kickoff here! If it's possible, I highly recommend the team (vs just the driver) producing elements of a project plan during the kickoff.

It's not often that teams prioritizes developing project goals, milestones, success metrics, workstreams, etc as a team. But when that happens, there's often more thoughtful documentation because of all the input, and perhaps most importantly, more commitment from team members in following through on what the team collectively decides on in the documentation.

Like # people like this
Kristen Roth Atlassian Team May 25, 2022

Always coming in with the expert tips, @Christine P_ Dela Rosa . Thank you! 

Like Christine P_ Dela Rosa likes this

Since we're a client-facing software shop, we actually run 2 project kickoffs - one is an internal kickoff, for our team to get on the same page, learn what our roles will be for a specific project, and sketch out the project milestones. If there's nuance to the client relationship, this lets our teams discuss it and plan for it in private.

That lets Sales, PM, and Engineers present a unified front and support one another in the client kickoff, where we start to fill in any missing details, requirements, get specific materials requested formally, and plan how our team will communicate with client teams over the life of the project. It also gives a really nice moment for the sales team to introduce the project manager and leads, as a "warm handoff." 

Like # people like this

So smart, @Anne Saunders . Thank you for sharing!

Like Anne Saunders likes this
Andy Gladstone Community Leader May 25, 2022

@Kristen Roth thanks for this publish. I have been whiteboarding a project plan that will require a lot of cross departmental collaboration and was having trouble crystalizing the key points, measures and expected outcomes of the plan. Since reading this article I have honed in on the Project Plan Template to organize my thoughts and the Project Kickoff Template to define the communication and collaboration needed to successfully kick off the project.

Like # people like this

Glad to hear this helped, @Andy Gladstone ! That project plan template is so handy. Best of luck to you on the project! 

Like Srinatha T likes this

Yes, and...remember to include the team formation things to jump start effectiveness / collaboration...and design the team t-shirt.  There are lots of good ideas for this work in Liftoff: Launching Agile Teams & Projects by Diana Larsen and Ainsley Nies.

The kickoff meeting is one of the most important parts of starting a project. However, the experience on many projects tells me that the fundamental thing for a team is the ability to adapt to the various scope changes that the client requires throughout the execution of the project. The agile, in this sense, gives several ideas on how to best manage the evolution of a project.

Really need to drill the importance of the kick off meeting into my team's minds.

Like Brittany Wispell likes this
Craig Nodwell Community Leader Jun 23, 2022

I'm at a new org.  They just finished their first sprint cycles since I arrived.  I assure none of this is going on.  I'll be taking this thanks.
yoink 

Great post, I am new to my organization but I can see where this is going to help significantly with some of my upcoming work.

Even though I've never done this particular playbook, at my previous company we used to do kickoff meetings but they were not really standardized and expectations were never really drawn out. This is going to be a great template to get started. 

Thanks,
Brittany

Comment

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you