Dear Work Therapist ... how much is too much?

Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 30, 2021

Dear Work Therapist

Is there such a thing as too much Atlassian? 

I'm worried it is spilling over into my personal life... I keep thinking of ways I can use JWM out of work.  It is wrong to try and suggest to my fiancée that we use it to plan the wedding (asking for a friend!)

Should I think about asking family members to submit contact requests through a JSM portal?

My dreams now come in 2 week sprints, with a massive backlog - do I see a doctor about this?

Please help!

17 comments

Comment

Trey Washmon July 30, 2021

I know the feeling, ive been dreaming in JIRA lately.

Like # people like this
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 30, 2021

My answer is "yes". I do the dreaming about solving problems thing too. But the hardest part is swapping out of the "everything is a task" way of thinking, back into family time. There is no need for a task for eating dinner.

And I'm pretty sure there are other people who have used Jira to plan their weddings. I would imagine the problems come if you assign tasks to the other person without discussing it properly :)

Like # people like this

.......Now im considering building a project called wedding and building a workflow for the best man and other staff.

Like # people like this
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 30, 2021

Use the JWM forms to capture the food requests and allergies of all the guests. 

Not quite sure what automation you'd need - but sure we could come up with something!

Like # people like this

This feels like a team project guys, whose in?

Like # people like this
Bridget
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
July 30, 2021

LOL - my wedding is next summer and now I am seriously considering using JWM to plan it 😂

Like # people like this
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 30, 2021

Congrats! And go for it. Let me know how you get on and if its successful I can suggest it to my better half

Hahaha, thats awesome, congrats! I think you should! i bet it would be funny to present at the very least!

Christine P_ Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 30, 2021

Depends on how you define "Atlassian" wink. Is it the continuous improvement angle, because if so, keep fueling my tank with that!

A couple gems to share on that note:

For what it's worth, I've used Trello to plan a vacation with a friend and have worked through a writing project with Confluence. And I'm not mad about it :)

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 31, 2021

Personally I would use JSM here because then your family members could be non-paying customers! wink

Like # people like this
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 31, 2021

I like the idea of a family portal!

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 2, 2021

One of my associates has a personal JSM portal for her family!

Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 3, 2021

She may well be my idol!!

Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 31, 2021

Hi @Liam Green I have a colleague who has Jira on his own home server instance for maybe 10 years.

He collects all the bills there, he plans everything there with his wife...

I think it can work if your fiancée and friends are not resistant to it... I think it can be the worst part :D.

Like # people like this
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 31, 2021

I think logging all your bills is a great idea

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 1, 2021

@Liam Green - I've had many a work dream, but never a Jira dream. But tonight may be the night! 😂

Like # people like this
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 2, 2021

You never know!!

Like Dave Liao likes this
Kishan Sharma
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 1, 2021

@Liam Green I know just how you feel, please do share when you find an answer to this question. ;)

Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 2, 2021

I'm not sure we'll ever have an answer!  I say just embrace the Jira and let it wash over your life!

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 2, 2021

Hi @Liam Green ,

the more I use, the more I love it :-).

I would use it! You know these systems and you won't need to test any other, because in the end you will probably need some tool for management.

I wish you a wonderful wedding and that you enjoy it as much as all your guests!

Like # people like this
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 2, 2021

@Hana Kučerová 

Thank you!

We're a long way off - haven't actually set a date yet, but I guess it is never too early to start the planning!

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 2, 2021

@Liam Green So, that means you've got plenty of time to show your fiancée, how does Jira work :-)))

giphy

Like # people like this
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 2, 2021

She already uses it for work so she will either be completely on board or will veto the idea straight away!

Like # people like this
Paloma Fondon Araujo
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 2, 2021

Hi @Liam Green 

hahaha, I think you could use Trello to make the wedding plan!!!! I've used it for soooo many things...

Personally I think that I also extrapolate many things from atlassian to my daily life, even the school girls' schedules I have them on a trello board... I love it 💙!!

Like # people like this
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 3, 2021

Hi @Paloma Fondon Araujo 

I must admit, I don't really use Trello - so I don't think I'd trust it for my wedding... I might suggest it to my fiancée though.

I think the products do actually adapt really well to everyday life - especially for planning, etc.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 3, 2021

@Liam Green I would recommend moderation in all things.  As far as being organized by using awesome software for your wedding I would recommend going for it.  Congrats by the way.

Like Liam Green likes this
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 4, 2021

Thanks Brant - I think I'm going to put something together to present to her!

Linda Milne_Togetha Group_
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
August 4, 2021

Nah, go with it. Embrace your inner geek ... or even your outer geek.

nerd-pride.gif

Like # people like this
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 5, 2021

To be honest - I think you're completely right here!  I love my (and my fiancée's) geekyness!

Like Hana Kučerová likes this
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 5, 2021

LOL!

That was hilarious! But other than that I totally feel you :)

There was a time that I was sleeping, eating, and drinking Jira. It was like a virus inside your head!

Like Liam Green likes this
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 5, 2021

Thanks @Alex Koxaras _Relational_ 

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

nina_schmidt
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 12, 2021

@Liam Green that is scary but awesome at the same time :-) ... and familiar 

Vero Rivas
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 22, 2021

Hi @Liam Green 

I understand your feeling, the same thing has happened to me in a time of my life, jajajaja 

Atlassian for everything

Cheers

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 14, 2021

All I can tell you @Liam Green  welcome to my world! Between the Atlassian Community and ScriptRunner many times I find myself in bed thinking about one of the two.

Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 2, 2021

Someone wanted to plan their wedding in jira cloud on a free version recently and I told them not to do it because you would have to spend so much time onboarding people (wedding party), but I would like to hear how it went with you.

Congrats

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events