Training available for Play facilitation from the Atlassian Team Playbook [no longer available]

Important: as of August 2023, we will no longer be offering this training in lieu of other training available in development. The articles and Q&A will remain on the Community platform, but the certification for facilitating debriefing Plays in this iteration will be discontinued. Thank you for your interest and please continue to develop those facilitating skills!

playbook facilitation certification.png

tldr

We’re testing a new certification to help individuals learn how to facilitate Plays from the Atlassian Team Playbook. Read on to discover how you can take part!

Did you know

Plays* on the Atlassian Team Playbook are free workshop resources for addressing common team challenges and starting important conversations.

However, as a former product owner of Team Playbook and facilitator of many Plays for other teams, I know that a good facilitator can make or break the energy during a session. In fact, I’ve spoken to many teams who don’t run Plays because they can’t find an experienced facilitator.

Welp, that excuse ends now. Because we believe everyone who wants to improve their Play facilitation skills should be able to, we’re inviting an inaugural group of individuals to go through “Play facilitation training” to earn their Facilitation Certification.

*Side note: want to dive deeper into Playbook? Then check out our library of Plays. Find instructions for popular exercises such as retrospective, DACI, Roles and responsibilities, OKRs, and more.

Team Playbook Facilitator training

Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 4.20.13 PM.png

Program requirements

1. Consumption of these articles.

2. Based on the reading material, score at least 90% on a short quiz.

3. Submission of short videos simulating facilitation of specific parts of a Play.

4. Facilitation of one of these debriefing Plays:

(Note: you will need to provide proof of facilitation by recording your session, writing an article about it, or facilitating a team we provide you).

5. An article posted in the Teamwork Lab with a reflection on these experiences and lessons learned.

Are you interested?

If so, your journey begins by emailing me at cdelarosa@atlassian.com. Once you complete your training, you’ll get a document as proof of certification as well as an exclusive badge for your profile!

For general questions, drop notes in the comments section of this article.

71 comments

Margareta Buruian October 21, 2021

Awesome! Have emailed you for some further details

Like # people like this
Patrícia Fortunato Montenegro October 21, 2021

It's so cool @Christine P_ Dela Rosa

Thanks for sharing. I'll look at it profoundly. 😃

Like # people like this
Suvradip Paul
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 21, 2021

Thanks @Christine P_ Dela Rosa  for sharing.

I have one basic query, do we have any timeline for completion for this certification?

Like # people like this
Bridget
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
October 21, 2021

@Suvradip Paul - no timeline! Take your time - facilitation skills aren't built in a day 😀

Like # people like this
Suvradip Paul
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 21, 2021

Thanks @Bridget for confirming . Well said! Definitely statement to believe and follow.

Like # people like this
Paloma Fondon Araujo
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 21, 2021

Hi @Christine P_ Dela Rosa 

Thanks for sharing! I have already sent you an email! 😉

Greetings!

Like # people like this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 21, 2021

Hi, community!

Thanks for this training idea.  When interested in facilitating often, perhaps consider an improvement progression to develop your readiness/effectiveness to support others:

• find a coach for yourself on this topic/area
  • learn about a method
  • participate as a team member; self-retro to learn
  • participate as an observer of another person facilitating; retro with the facilitator to learn
  • pair with another facilitator; retro to learn
  • facilitate with another facilitator observing; retro to learn
  • free-solo; retro to learn
  • coach someone else in the method; retro to learn
  • repeat

Kind regards,
Bill

Like # people like this
Christine P_ Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 21, 2021

I second that @Bill Sheboy. And so as not to repeat your suggested progression ProTip, I'll note that I was in awe watching my first few Plays, wasn't very good when I tried to facilitate my first session, but was 10x better in my second facilitation, and 10x better after that after applying feedback. It's that feedback + application iteration that has helped me over time.

Like # people like this
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 22, 2021

Interested.  I sent you an email.

Like # people like this
Laura Holton _ACE Rotterdam_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 26, 2021

Thank you for the run through @Christine P_ Dela Rosa 🙌

Colour me interested! I've popped over an email and I look forward to getting started 😄

Like # people like this
Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 27, 2021

@nina_schmidt you should have a look at this one 🙂

Like # people like this
nina_schmidt
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 27, 2021

Thanks @Fabienne Gerhard already saw this and would love to, but my schedule is packed… 

@Christine P_ Dela Rosa any chance to get a rough estimate of the effort behind? 

Like # people like this
Christine P_ Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 28, 2021

@nina_schmidt this is an open invitation that can start now or down in the future. Some folks may sprint through the 5-step program and finish as quickly as in a couple of weeks, but my guess is that it will spread over a much longer period of time. 

Also, you can start the program now, finish the first couple of steps, and then pick it up back up in a month or down in the future. It's up to you! 

Like # people like this
nina_schmidt
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 29, 2021

Thanks @Christine P_ Dela Rosa - count me in in December ☺️

Like # people like this
meghna_singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 8, 2021

This is great! Thanks for sharing 

Like # people like this
G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 23, 2021

Hi @Christine P_ Dela Rosa I have emailed you to consider my entry to this play facilitation certification program.

Looking forward to hear from you with the next steps.

Like # people like this
Christine P_ Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
November 23, 2021

The program is indeed still going on, @G subramanyam ! I’ll respond with more details via email :)

Like Viktoriya Borisova likes this
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 14, 2021

Sent an Email for enrollment. Please let me know the next steps.

Thanks,
Pramodh

Like # people like this
Lani December 16, 2021

This is exciting - my email is flying through the sky as I type... 

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 17, 2021

Adding this to my Q1 2022 goals! I'll be emailing @Christine P_ Dela Rosa soon to get started (once I finish my 2021 goals that are still outstanding - nothing like a deadline to create a sense of urgency!)

Like # people like this
Marjorie
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 28, 2021

Like @Andy Gladstone adding this to my yearly goals.

Like # people like this
Vero Rivas
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 5, 2022

Thanks for sharing, I have already sent you an email.

Cheers

Like # people like this
Alexander Bondarev
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 11, 2022

Wow! Interesting program!

Like # people like this
Tuncay Senturk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 23, 2022

Cool! Thanks for sharing @Christine P_ Dela Rosa 

Like # people like this
Darryl Lee
Atlassian Team
March 11, 2022

That is awesome!!

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events