Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Products Do we Need...

Liam Cresswell February 11, 2022

Hi All,

I work for a Marketing agency that's already using Jira, but we're not getting the most out of the platform and apps available to us.

We've mapped out the functionality we need and I'm struggling to understand which of the Jira services we need (assuming it's a few) and I'm looking for some guidance.

I've bulleted what resembles our MVP below and would be grateful for comments:

Project Planning

1. Ability to create a new project in ‘Roadmap’ view.
  2. Ability to create a new project in ‘Roadmap’ view, from predefined project templates.
  3. Ability to share a read-only, dynamic, link to the ‘Roadmap’ with external stakeholders.
  4. Ability to add timescales and assignees to tasks on the ‘Roadmap’

Resource Management

1. Ability to create team boards i.e., Account Management, Design, Digital, Development etc.
  2. Team resource board must reference work assigned to individuals from ‘Roadmaps’.

Reporting

1. Ability to report on the number of hours spend on a project
  2. Ability to report on the number of hours available vs allocated to a team, per week/month

Permissions

1. Ability to control who can create projects and new ad hoc task.  i.e., permission limited to Project Managers, Account Managers and Team Leaders

Any help is much appreciated!

1 comment

Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2022

Hi @Liam Cresswell 

You can do almost all of that using just Jira Software and I would add Advanced Roadmaps as well to assist you in planning.

I hope it helps.

Ravi

Liam Cresswell February 12, 2022

Hey @Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_ 

Thanks for your reply.  

Could you indicate which of the points I'd not be able to do in Jira Software?

I've been looking at Jira Work Management, but will move on to playing with Jira Software soon.

Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2022

When you say ability to create new project from the roadmap, are you talking about an activity like Epic or Feature? Why do you need to create a project from the roadmap view? 

Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 12, 2022

@Liam Cresswell 

Check my responses.

Project Planning

1. Why do you want to create project from roadmap? or is project here means big activity like Initiative/Epic/Feature? You can do that with Advanced Roadmaps once you configure the hieararchy.
  2. Initiative/Epic/Feature and any issue type can have its own set of fields and workflow.
  3. Advanced Roadmaps has capabilities to be embedded in a Confluence page. You can look at that option.
  4. Advanced Roadmaps can let you work on the plan like assign tasks to users that can be committed to projects.

Resource Management

1. Can be done in Jira Software.
  2. Same as point 4 above.

Reporting

1. Can be done with native Jira reports
  2. Advanced Roadmaps has the option to work with team capacity.

Permissions

1. Only Jira Administrators can create projects but permission to create issue within a project can be controlled with the permission schemes.

I hope it helps.

Ravi

Like Liam Cresswell likes this

@Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_ 

The project work we do follows the same process, and the timeline/roadmap view is the thing we most commonly use as the visual representation of the product/stages/and tasks is most useful.

When creating a new project, I'd like to be able to select from a number of pre-populated templates to ensure each new project follows the same process. 

You'll have to excuse me as I'm not yet fully up to speed with Epics. 

@Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_  based on what I've seen so far, an epic is used to represent a larger body, or stage, of work.  

For example, our project might be broken down into stages.  Stage 1 might be an epic, then we'd like tasks beneath the epic, and then sub-tasks beneath the task.

Epic > Task > Sub-Task

Is this correct?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events