Basic features for team-managed / company-managed projects

Bhanu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 9, 2022

Hello Community members,

Jira team-managed projects are a great way to start working out of Jira for small team,  But I feel like the some of the basic feature of grouping issues like components is missing on the team-managed projects.

It often happens that the teams scale up and start to need features of the company-managed projects sooner than later and it needs migration of the issues to a newly created company-managed project. I feel like Atlassian should add a feature to change the projects from team-managed to company-managed and vice versa just like it has a feature to change from being a Software project to a Service Project.

Do you think it's a fair ask?

Please share your thoughts.

1 comment

Jimi Wikman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 9, 2022

Considering the many differences between Team based and Company based I don't think that is worth building.

It is far easier to create a new Jira project and migrate the issues than translating the different setup for workflows, custom fields and more.

So I am sorry to say that I don't think that will happen, especially since Atlassian is putting efforts into combining features in some areas for both types of projects.

Like Bhanu likes this
Bhanu
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 10, 2022

Hi @Jimi Wikman Thank you for sharing your thoughts on it.

On the team-managed projects, the team has admin authority for the project but if they have to create a company-managed project, it would need a certain level of admin access for them which might be easier to get in some instances. 

I did not see any features listed on the Atlassian Backlog for this feature as well, In any case, we will need better software that makes the life of the user easier. If they work towards that all parties will be happy.

Jimi Wikman
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 10, 2022

@Bhanuthe two types are used for different scenarios. Team based is for isolated self-managing teams that do not need to work with others in Jira, while Company managed is for collaboration around a common way of working.

Basically, you have either a controlled way of working or an open way of working where everyone defines their own work process.  The idea is that Company managed should be well-defined, so there should not be a lot of requests to change things as those changes should be done for all teams.

Atlassian are working on trying to merge the workflow experiences and they also try to bring in other things from Company based project to reduce the contrast between the two a bit.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events