Roadmap for long term planning. Can display time interval be extended?

Jonas Tidström August 27, 2021

I am planning a long term project. The "boundaries" of the project is roughly three years and the start date is in next year. Now, I tried to use Epics with the ambition to outline the structure with a nice "drag and drop" interface, but the roadmap displays only a total three years (including some history). Hence, part of my plan is now "outside the view". 

Maybe Jira is not the with tools for this task? Or, can I configure Jira so that is displays time interval longer than the default?

Epic dates (a test example):

Screenshot 2021-08-27 at 09.39.09.png

Far end:

Screenshot 2021-08-27 at 09.38.57.png

Earliest times shown:

Screenshot 2021-08-27 at 09.38.11.png

Thanks!

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 27, 2021

Hi @Jonas Tidström 

According to this suggestion to make the timeframe configurable, the -1y to +2y limit is by design, possibly for performance reasons: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17799

If you need to see your entire plan at a glance, you may want to investigate marketplace addon apps or keep the plan timeline in a tool outside of Jira.

Best regards,
Bill

Jonas Tidström August 28, 2021

OK, that was my suscpision ... Thanks for pointing me to accurate information. I'll add a comment over there...

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
0 votes
Maria
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 24, 2021

Hi @Jonas Tidström 

What I can recommend to sort it out is the third-party addon.

I'm writing on behalf of the Planyway plugin which can solve your problem thanks to zooming. You can scale out your timeline from daily to weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual views.
Снимок экрана 2021-10-25 105011.png

0 votes
David Berclaz
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 9, 2021

Hi @Jonas Tidström

Indeed, boundaries imposed by Jira Roadmap can be an issue. We have developed Time Squad, a very flexible Jira App to build custom Timelines and complement Jira Roadmaps.

I have recorded a short video to show you how long term planning can be achieved:

Time Squad - Roadmap for long term planning

ff3237c663574cdaa9c34e977563fc06-with-play.gif

Airtable is also a great tool, just wanted to make sure you checked all the options.
Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,

David

0 votes
Jacob Vu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 31, 2021

Hi @Jonas Tidström

Are you using Jira Advanced Roadmaps? In Advanced Roadmaps, you're able to select a customized date range for your schedules and I can go back and forward as many years as I'd like.

It's in the date range section (3M, 1Y, Fit, Custom).

Hope this helps.

Jacob @ NorthTEK Consulting 

Jonas Tidström September 2, 2021

Thanks for the suggestion. But I made my way through another tool (Airtable with Gantt-view). 

Suggest an answer