Next Gen RoadMap in Jira Core - how to set up dependencies

alessandro.muselli March 4, 2019

I've started to familiarize with Jira Software Cloud and specifically with Next-Gen templates (Kanban).

1. How to set up dependencies on each epic,so that those are automatically reflected in the roadmap?

- If Epic 2 can't start before Epic 1 is completed, has the system the ability to enforce the dates and move automatically epics on the roadmap view according to the dependency set between the 2 Epics?

- If this is the case, is the "link" functionality between the 2 epics the one to be used?

-  Could you provide a config example for Epic 2 to start only when Epic 1 is completed both from a status viewpoint and timeline viewpoint?

Thanks a lot

Alessandro

3 answers

3 votes
Deleted user May 19, 2019

Hi Kevin -> Back to Allesandro question -> I have linked "Epic 2" to "Epic 1" by pressing Link issue then relates to another epic (see pic below). In the roadmap view in nextgen (or within the epic 1 itself) if I move out the end date of epic 1 out (or in) will it automatically move the epic 2 start date? e.g dependencies similar to MS project?

link epics.png

0 votes
Dipti Ranjan Behera
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 11, 2019
0 votes
Kevin Bui
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 4, 2019

Hi @alessandro.muselli - You're correct that the "link" functionality is what you need to use.

You can set up dependencies for each epic by clicking into the epic on the roadmap, selecting the Link issue icon Screen Shot 2019-03-05 at 9.51.58 am.png, and selecting the epic that the first epic is dependent on. This won't be reflected visually in the Roadmap, but this is a feature that is on the development team's radar.

Hope that helps!

Andrew Resnick March 24, 2019

The Jira Core operations, the Jira documentation and this forum have conflicting information on the use of Epic's in Jira Core. In Jira Core the Epic Issue type is present and we are warned not to delete it, we can add Epic Name etc. to screens, but Epic information never appears. Here you state that Jira Core can use Epics. On the Forum some Champions state that Epics are NOT available for Jira Core (https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Core-questions/How-can-I-create-epics-on-JIRA-Core-Project-Management-Type/qaq-p/935493) and the Jira Core documentation does NOT contain the word Epic. 

Please definitively state if Jira Core includes the Epic issue type or not.

Like Kevin Bui likes this
Kevin Bui
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 25, 2019

Hi @Andrew Resnick - The original question was about Epics on the Roadmaps feature. While the questioner did mention Jira Core in the title, I believe they were actually referring to Jira Software, because they specifically mentioned next-gen Kanban (a Jira Software concept), and the Roadmaps feature only exists in next-gen Jira Software Cloud. 

To get to your question: Jira Core doesn't have any Epics functionality. If you have Jira Core bundled with Jira Software, you might see the Epics issue type, but any epics you create won't have any special functionality in your Business project, like it would in a Software project.

Hope that helps!

Justin Couto August 5, 2019

Is there a way to create next-gen jira core projects?  I'd like to do this and can't figure out if that is possible or will be possible in the future?

Like Robby Ibrahim likes this
kpink August 13, 2019

@Kevin Bui   when will the roadmap reflect dependencies.  The published roadmap shows only 3 new features

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events