Next-Gen Custom Field duplication

Natasha Denny April 14, 2020

When a new field is created in a Next-Gen Project with the same name as a custom field in Jira Software, it causes existing filters referencing the custom field to fail. 

The existing filters fail because they reference the newly created Next-Gen field, rather than the jira software custom field. 

Is anyone aware of this issue? Does anyone have a way to prevent this from happening? 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Hazwan Ariffin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2020

Instead of having the actual field name in your filter, you would need to modify your filter to use the ID instead. For example, I created a field called phone number in a classic project and next gen project. Now, when I do the search, it will give me two phone number field:

Screenshot 2020-04-16 at 8.57.58 AM.pngSo in my case, I would need to change my filter to 

project = NH AND cf[10043] is not Empty

So it gives me a result. All you need to do is to find out which id is for next gen and which is for classic project. To find out the id, you can go to custom field settings - https://<yourdomain>.atlassian.net/secure/admin/ViewCustomFields.jspa, search for the field, click on ... > Edit details. You will find the id in the URL.

Hope that helps!

Natasha Denny April 15, 2020

Thanks Hazwan. 
The only problem is I have many filters already set up, so I would have to go through them all and change them to the field ID. 
Very frustrating. 

Christian Giroux April 5, 2023

The easiest solution would be to allow sharing custom fields across different projects. 

Let's say I create a custom field "Customers" as a dropdown. 
I can share the same field to different teams. 

Then a sales rep can use a single search to see all Bugs and Requests related to the "Customer" labeled "Acme" across all projects 

Suggest an answer