Nex-gen private project search results

Henri Hirvonen January 30, 2020

Hi,

As we can't give everyone with an account to our JIRA access to all projects we have (usually external users can access only one project and internal users most projects unless there is reason to restrict access).
This means that next-gen projects apparently needs to be private as we can't make it limited or open based only on people with specific roles. But private next-gen projects do not appear on search results or any additional boards we have created to support monitoring of multiple projects at the same time.

Is there any way to achieve in next-gen projects required access restrictions but also to display tickets within next-gen projects on boards we have created?

1 answer

0 votes
Veera
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 30, 2020

@Henri Hirvonen 

I must say it's a very smart question !!!

My understanding is that your want to create a classic board (scrum or kanban template) using a filter which pulls issues from private next-gen projects. Correct?

The answer is simple 'No'. If anyone want to access classic boards, they need to have a valid Jira Software license and the access to the filter.

I am curious to know your use case. Do you want to save the license cost? 

If your intension is to grant external users access to specific projects, my recommendation is to create a classic project and grant them only to those projects. 

Below document will help you with what you are looking for .

https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloudkb/how-to-restrict-project-access-for-teams-in-jira-cloud-953142266.html

Hi,

With this, our goal is not to save on costs. I am working for a consultancy company and we have multiple ongoing projects. Each of those projects also has customers invited (licenced mostly, there are a few service desk projects as well).

We have a few classic boards, for example, a board which lists all tickets with security tag from all of the projects. The issue is that recently we have created a few next-gen projects to get new functionalities such as roadmaps, but we can't see any tickets from next-gen projects in classic boards because those projects are private. Most of our projects still are classic software projects but we will likely slowly move to next-gen projects if this doesn't become a blocker.

My understanding is that if we open those projects to open or limited, then also our clients could see all project and all tickets within that projects (all employees seeing those is not an issue). Naturally client A seeing tickets of client B is not acceptable.

Like Veera likes this

Just to add, those boards are used only by our employees so they can be granted for example any role / permission to allow viewing all private projects for example if that would be somehow possible.

Like Veera likes this
Veera
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 30, 2020

Hi @Henri Hirvonen 

Thanks for explaining your use case.

You are right, you won't see tickets from the projects you don't have access to. 

Even though you created next-gen projects as Private, you still can add people/groups manually so that those users can access tickets and see them on your Classic board.

So in your case, you may try the below workaround.

1. Create a new group. Let's call it Internal Employees group. 
  2. Add all your employees to the new Internal Employees group.
  3. Go Next-gen Project settings > Access page and click on 'Add People' button at the top right corner.
  4. Search for Internal Employees group and grant 'Member' role.Screen Shot 2020-01-31 at 1.43.47 pm.png

You may repeat the same for all Next-gen projects.

Please refer to below document for better understanding.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/manage-how-people-access-your-next-gen-project-982321983.html

Like mohithb likes this

Thank you, that would help with access permission. But unfortunately, tickets are not still appearing on our workflow boards (even when I have access to the next-get project in question). When in project settings visibility is selected, on private it says that "issues in this project don't appear in search results". I take it means they don't appear in boards which are not attached to project either as those are based on queries?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events