Jira Software Cloud: Can email notifications be suppressed when creating issues using the REST API?

Cody Robson February 14, 2020

Since next-gen projects lack support for managing notification schemes, is there a way to create issues using the REST API to disable notifications / emails?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 18, 2020

Hi Cody,

I understand that you want to be able to create issues in Jira via the REST API and be able to suppress notifications during this in a Jira Cloud environment.  At the moment this is only possible by modifying the notification scheme before the issues are created to eliminate notifications for the entire project.

However I think that is a less than ideal solution here.  I know that the REST API for both Jira Cloud and Jira Server 7.2 and higher can allow Jira Admins to suppress notifications for REST API calls that hit the Edit Issues endpoint, but not the Create Issues endpoint.  This is known as the notifyUsers query parameter, and you can read some more about it in Jira Cloud REST API reference PUT /rest/api/2/issue/{issueIdOrKey}.  But again, that parameter is only available for the action of editing existing issues in Jira, not for creating new issues.

But I can see why this is a problem, and I agree that it would be helpful to have this feature in Jira.  So I created feature request for this in

I can't guarantee that this feature will ever actually get implemented for either Jira Cloud or Server, but I would recommend voting on this issue to help our development teams prioritize new features to implement.  You can also watch these suggestions, if they do get prioritized you can expect to see their statuses change to reflect this.  More information in our Implementation of New Features Policy.

I hope this helps,

Andy

Cody Robson February 18, 2020

Thanks @Andy Heinzer

Your response is very much appreciated. 

If next-gen projects support this as well, it would mitigate some of the urgency to have the notification schemes feature rolled out in those project types, at least for us. 

Thanks again. 

Cody

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 19, 2020

Hi Cody,

I did not mean to discount next-gen projects in my response.  Since next-gen projects don't have a separate set of REST API endpoints in Jira, I still feel that the JRACLOUD project is the appropriate location to create this request. 

You might also want to watch the ticket JSWCLOUD-17157, as it does appear to be directly trying to address the lack of notification settings within next-gen projects.  Perhaps updates to that ticket might offer some additional help here.

Andy

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events