How is ranking determined in Backlog and Sprint Board (NextGen)

Oliver Emmler January 30, 2020

We are trying to figure out the sequence issues are ranked in the NextGen Backlogs and Scrum Boards. While being capable to use swimlanes in "traditional" projects the order of main-tasks seems to change when sub-tasks and/or main-tasks go into PROGRESS. 

Is there any algorithm in this? Haven't figured out. Sometimes even main issues disappear when resolving them, which is not happening all time.

So do i have a misunderstanding or is there a discontinuity in behaviour of the application?

Best Regards,

Oliver

2 answers

0 votes
Hannah McKenzie
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 6, 2020

Hi @Oliver Emmler and @Dash Lavine ,

This sounds like it could be a bug. Subtasks (or 'child' issues) being marked as in-progress should not impact the order of any parent issues.

Regarding disappearing issues, issues in the backlog that are 'done' will disappear if sprints are turned on. If sprints are turned off, they will appear with a strike through their issue key. Issues will also disappear from the board if they are in the last/done column and haven't been updated in 14 days. Does this fit the case for either of your scenarios?

I'd recommend reaching out to our support team, so they can look at each of your specific cases and do some investigation into whether or not this is a bug which can be resolved asap.

Reach out if you have any problems.

Kind regards,

Hannah

0 votes
Hannah McKenzie
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 30, 2020

Hi @Oliver Emmler, have you had a browse of this documentation about working with next-gen projects, and perhaps this documentation about managing sub-tasks? I'm not sure if I've misinterpreted your question, but issues usually appear in the order they are created, until they get re-prioritized. 

Hope that helps.

Dash Lavine February 5, 2020

We have the same question and this doesn't appear to answer it.

To give an example, in a classic agile software project, you can sort stories by priority within the backlog view (from top to bottom in order of priority) and when you go to the active sprint view with swimlanes based on stories turned on, the stories show up in the same priority order. That does not appear to be the case in next gen when you turn on group by subtask (which shows the same type of view as the classic swimlanes option).

Like Hannah McKenzie likes this
Oliver Emmler May 5, 2020

Hi @Dash Lavine ,

your description is exactly the what i experience in the next gen Backlog and Board. I would rather use the term ‘rank’ instead of ‘priority’ in your description. The behavior of sorting the Backlog and then having a different order in the Sprint Board brings several impediments:

• It confuses the development team and product owner
  • It contradicts the team working on the most important issue (top of the backlog) as it cannot rely on that the one being on top of the Sprint Board is the one on top of the Backlog

@Hannah McKenzie how can i contact support to request investigation or sending in a bug?

Best Regards,
Oliver

Suggest an answer