How do I start next-gen project in Jira Cloud?

eugene January 14, 2020

I can see documentation on how to start a next-get project, and it looks like it should be available in Jira Cloud:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/get-started-with-next-gen-projects-945104903.html

But when I go into "Create new project", I don't see "Next-gen" option at all.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kevin Bui
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 14, 2020

Hi @eugene - Next-gen is a type of software project, and therefore should be available to anyone who has access to Jira Software Cloud. Could you confirm if your Jira has a Jira Software license?

If you do have access, you should be able to select Software when you go to create a project.

2020-01-15_17-40-35.png

eugene January 15, 2020

@Kevin Buithank you for your help!

I'm not completely sure where do I check for licenses in my Jira Cloud? I would assume license price is included in my monthly subscription billing?

When I go to create a project, I only see "Business" in the drop-down.

Like Kevin Bui likes this
Kevin Bui
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 15, 2020

Hi @eugene - Since you're a site admin, you should be able to check the billing of your site to see if Jira Software is part of your subscription, like this:

2020-01-16_10-50-45.gif

If your site does have Jira Software, then perhaps the problem may be you have access to Jira Core, but not Jira Software. Keep in mind that the business templates (Jira Core) and the software templates (Jira Software) are two separate things.

Hope that helps!

eugene January 17, 2020

Thanks @Kevin Bui ! This answered it!

Turned out I didn't have Jira Software subscription.

0 votes
Per Löfgren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2020

If you are admin then this can be changed in the global global permission schema.  There is a rule called "Create next-gen projects" there. 

https://your-domain/secure/admin/GlobalPermissions!default.jspa

Cheers
Per

eugene January 14, 2020

Thanks Per for helping me out!

I have added the  "Create next-gen projects" permission to the groups I'm listed in (administrators and site-admins).  I still don't see the option for some reason. Tried logging on-off and clearing cache.

What is the screen that has the option? When I click on "Create project", this is what I see:

Screenshot from 2020-01-14 11-52-20.png

When I click on "Change template", there is also nothing that mention next-get projects:

Screenshot from 2020-01-14 11-52-27.png

eugene January 14, 2020

It looks like the "next-gen" should be available as a drop-down item in "Create project" button. At least it looks like from looking at this documentation:
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Next-gen-articles/Getting-started-with-next-gen-projects/ba-p/914448

In my case, the "Create project" is a simple button and doesn't have drop-down options at all.

Suggest an answer