Can't close sprint, due to story not in Sprint. Story has subtasks that show on Active Sprint board

Bill McCarthy May 23, 2022

Can't close sprint, due to story not in Sprint.

System generated error,

"Sprint cannot be completed as there are incomplete subtasks on the following issues:"

• osprey-1072

Osprey-1072,  & three subtasks Osprey-1073, Osprey-1074, Osprey-1075 are not in the  active sprint. Per ticket, Sprint field correctly lists backlog. Parent story controls the sprint field for the 3 subtask's sprint field.

The three subtasks: Osprey-1073, Osprey-1074, Osprey-1075  show on Active Sprint board. However, sprint field in ticket shows as backlog Not the active sprint name. 
** Item to note, all (story + 3 subtasks) were cloned from prior month's work. The original tickets were marked "resolved".

How do we get around this issue, seems very wrong.

In project settings --> People --> permissions, I have admin, developers, project managers, users and web project team. 

2 answers

0 votes
Bill McCarthy May 24, 2022

Follow-up testing, work around bypassed problem, did not solve it. And I need to move to next sprint.

Steps taken:
Moving 1072 to Ready to test, no impact. Changed course, went to subtasks, moved them to "waiting for approval", took them off the active sprint board. And still can't close sprint.

Changed 1073, 1074, 1075 to approved.

Tried closing sprint

Complete sprint: O11 Sprint 98 (5/2 - 5/20)

Sprint cannot be completed as there are incomplete subtasks on the following issues:

OSPREY-1072

Still can not close sprint

OSPREY-1072, moved to resolved.

Still can not close sprint

Checking board settings, noted that [Status: Approved] in unmapped status, moved to Done column.

Was able to close sprint. My work around allowed the sprint to close.

Original issue still unknown, why subtasks showed in active sprint, when the parent and 3 subtasks were in backlog. As we clone tickets, tasks all the time, there was something unique to this situation. As we are on companyname.atlassian.net would love to see if the logs could be reviewed. Possibilities?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 23, 2022

>The three subtasks: Osprey-1073, Osprey-1074, Osprey-1075  show on Active Sprint board.

How exactly have you set up these sub-tasks?  A Jira sub-task on;y goes into a sprint by virtue of being part of a parent story that is in the sprint, so the parent of those three must be in the sprint.

Bill McCarthy May 24, 2022

Agreed and that is not the case.
Hence why I reached out to this board.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events