Can't Link other project issues to next gen epic

Robin Sarfati November 12, 2018

Using next gen project I try to link other project issues to Epics from this new next gen project but I get the following error when trying to do so:

Issue must be of type 'Epic'. 

When I select the epic it says it is unlabelled. 

Screen Shot 2018-11-12 at 12.27.59 PM.pngAnd this despite the fact the EPic is clearly created 

Screen Shot 2018-11-12 at 12.33.56 PM.png

7 answers

15 votes
Nata Mylostna July 22, 2019

Guys, it's ridiculous!
Please, provide ability to connect Classic stories/bugs/tasks with Next-gen projects or give us ability to use Roadmap in Classic projects.
Why everytime when I stuck with any problem I have to buy additional app that can solve it?

Phil_Parker January 28, 2020

Agree on both points...why is there absolutely no roadmap capability for Classic projects without buying Portfolio..another 3.5k per year. Annoying. 

Like # people like this
11 votes
Alistair Eldred January 22, 2019

We're using a Next Gen project for its Roadmapping feature. All our Epics are contained there so we can plan and schedule them. All our other projects are Classics and we would like to link the issues within them to the Next Gen Epics. This bug prevents this from occurring, rendering our desired roadmapping ineffective.

JC February 9, 2019

We are on the same boat. The roadmapping feature seems pretty useful for managing a product backlog and then link from there down to each team's board.

It is simply impossible given this limitation...

I can't seem to add the roadmapping feature to a classic project board so... it is unfortunate.

Like # people like this
2 votes
Ichsan Rahardianto July 28, 2019

Hi @Petter Gonçalves any update in this matter? 

The roadmap is very useful if we can use it as a container of organization wide initiatives, so we can have multiple teams working independently while being tracked in high level using the roadmap.

Now I understand that as of now it would be impossible to link between classic & next-gen, but would it be possible to do the scenario @Nilesh Patel mention, it would be very helpful.

1. Epic1 is created in a Next-gen ProjectA
2. Story2 is created in in a Next-gen ProjectB
3. Unable to create a link to/from Epic1 and Story2?

The alternative is to use issue linking, but it won't be able to have epic advantages such as progression etc.

Thank you!

Jade Melcher August 30, 2019

+1

This is a must:

Like # people like this
2 votes
Lael June 3, 2019

I have the exact same issue as Nilesh Patel above. We have a PRODMAP project where the epics are large initiatives, and I want to link my marketing project tickets (MAR) to the larger epic to which they belong. Looks like I can't do that, which pretty much negates the point of epics. 

Nilesh Patel Nov 13, 2018

Additionally, is it true if the following scenario happens it fails:

Expected result:
Should be able to associate any ticket to any Epic created in any project.

Daniel Hartig December 20, 2019

We planned the exact same workflow for our company, only to run into the same problem. The Roadmap is ideal for linking Kanban board objects into a larger, company wide picture; allowing management to easily track what Engineering is working on. 

Yet, neither Roadmap is available for Classic nor existing classic workflows can be linked to a Next-Gen roadmap. 

Disappointing all around. 

Like # people like this
2 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 13, 2018

Hello Robin,

Unfortunately, you can not link issues that are not from a next-gen project with Epics from a next-gen project because this kind of Epics does not have an Epic-name. That's why it is being displayed as unlabelled.

I agree with you that it can cause some confusion. If it's intended that classic issues should not link to Next-gen Epics, it should not even display as an option in the Epic Link field.

That's why we opened a bug to fix this behavior and allow the link between both issue-types:

Provide clearer message when users link Story from non next-gen project with Epic of next-gen project

Please, feel free to watch this bug, so you can be aware of any updates on it.

Robin Sarfati November 13, 2018

Hello, does this mean it is not a feature to come in the future ? Is there a reason for this choice ? 

thanks a lot for your answer 

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 13, 2018

Hello Robin,

You are correct. It does not seem to be a feature to come in the future. Allow me to explain this choice:

The target of next-gen projects is to give the simplicity that some customers are looking for when planning their path, avoiding unnecessary features that would turn things cumbersome for some use-cases.

That being said, the conventional issue linking of classic projects interface would require several fields (Epic name, Epic Link, etc) and a bunch of features to allow other functionalities to work as expected with Epics (Reports, JQL queries, etc), so all these functionalities were removed from the next-gen project intentionally to keep the simplicity desired by the customers.

That's why it was created a new "link type" to work with next-gen issues, keeping it as simple as planned.

Of course, you will always be able to use this functionality with the classic projects if you want to, however, if you think we should keep this functionality for the next-gen projects, you can still raise a feature request and give your feedback to our developers on https://jira.atlassian.com

Please, let me know if it answers your question, Robin.

Nilesh Patel November 13, 2018

Wow (surprised!), I was expecting that linking a Story of non next-Gen project with Epic of Next-Gen project would be allowed just Robin.

Is the opposite allowed where we can link a Story from a next-gen project to an Epic of a non next-Gen project?

This would be a feature that I would recommend that Atlassian product manager review and add. 

Like # people like this
Nilesh Patel November 13, 2018

Additionally, is it true if the following scenario happens it fails:

Expected result:
Should be able to associate any ticket to any Epic created in any project.

Like # people like this
Robin Sarfati November 13, 2018

@Petter Gonçalves thank you for this detailed answer. 

I understand the sake of simplicity and this is really why I decided to give next gen a go. However, if I understand well, this also create a problem within next gen projects themselves: when you create an issue "outside" a project epic, you can't reattach it to epic again. 

This second problem is the reason why I think solving this issue in next gen projects won't harm simplicity. but that is only my humble opinion. 

Thank you

Deleted user November 21, 2018

How do I run an issue search based on "Epic Link" in a next gen project?

I want to see all related issues to an Epic, save that search then add it to the confluence product requirement page. 

When I try to run a search now, all epics show up as unlabelled with an error message:

"Issue 'RO-1' must be of type 'Epic'."

Anna Romanovich January 17, 2019

Sean, did you find out how to run it?

Matt Goult January 17, 2019

I'd like to know this too. Having the same problem.

Samuel Wilkinson October 9, 2019

Just another example of features being stripped away when we're paying for features that already existed. It's making the job of an administrator very difficult when users create next-gen projects then complain because they can't accomplish simple tasks that they expect. One of my managers wants to use the Roadmap feature (limited to next gen for some terrible reason) but because of the issues stated here among others, we're probably going to end up spending money on a non-atlassian product to get him what he needs. /rant

Like # people like this
Daniel Marsh November 27, 2019

Epic Fail :)

Your next-gen projects are useless if they are not meant to work with existing features. 

You have essentially created 2 separate products neither that can suffice the needs of its users.

Like # people like this
Alessio Maffeis January 27, 2020

@Petter GonçalvesThe biggest problem is that, as other users pointed out below, it doesn't even seem to be possible to link tasks from one next-gen project to epics in another next-gen project.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Tradly Team February 8, 2021

I can't believe this feature is still pending from 2018. Is that got to allow linking issues from a classic service project issues to an epic in Nextgen software project?

0 votes
David Ortiz January 17, 2019

In next-generation projects, can I get the epic to which a story belongs by REST API as in classic projects? Or for JQL searches?

Suggest an answer