Automation rule breaks for issues with an Epic

Justin Ly March 20, 2022

I have an existing automation rule that has been running without issues until last week, when I encountered the following error which I've never seen before:

Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 10.10.18 AM.png

This automation rule fails when it's cloning the issue into another project. After I removed the epic link and ran the automation again, the issue cloned successfully.

Other notes:

• The epic is not used in the automation rule. The automation rule only copies the description and summary.
  • This rule was working previously both for tickets linked to epics and tickets without epics.

Does anyone know what could be causing this issue?

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 23, 2022

Hello @Justin Ly ,

Welcome to the community.

Can you provide the details of the automaton rule?

Is the issue you are trying to clone in a Team Managed project? Is the destination project also Team Managed?

Does it make a difference if you choose a different destination project?

Does it make a difference if the source project is different? Or is this rule set up to be triggered for a specific source project?

Justin Ly March 23, 2022

Hi @Trudy Claspill

Sure, here's some background.

• ProjectA is the source project currently used in the automation rule
  • ProjectB is the destination project currently used in the automation rule

"Is the issue you are trying to clone in a Team Managed project? Is the destination project also Team Managed?"

Yes, all projects involved are team-managed.

"Does it make a difference if you choose a different destination project?"

• ProjectA -> ProjectA:This works.
  • ProjectA -> ProjectB: I get the error message.
  • ProjectA -> ProjectC: I get the error message.

jira-issue.png

"Does it make a difference if the source project is different? Or is this rule set up to be triggered for a specific source project?"

This rule is set up to be triggered for a specific source project (ProjectA) to a specific destination project (ProjectB).

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 23, 2022

What is issue "ED-901"? Is it the issue being cloned? Is it the parent Epic of the issue being cloned?

How is the rule triggered?

What else is happening in the rule before the clone action?

Justin Ly March 23, 2022

Here's what the rule looks like:

Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 11.25.58 AM.png

For debugging purposes, I've created a manually-triggered clone (as seen in the screenshot above). In the original rule, the rule was triggered when the issue is transitioned into a specific status.

"What is issue "ED-901"? Is it the issue being cloned? Is it the parent Epic of the issue being cloned?"

ED-901 is the parent epic of the issue being cloned.

Suggest an answer