Working with epics in next-gen Software projects

153 comments

TAREK_SHALABY May 6, 2019

Hi There!

I have a question here!
how I migrate or change an existing project to next-gen project? So I can use the roadmap feature

Thanks in advance,

katie.hughes@sparx.co.uk May 8, 2019

I cant seam to link epics across boards either classic to next-gen or next-gen to next-gen: am I missing something?

Kevin Bui
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 9, 2019

Hi @TAREK_SHALABY - There isn't a migration feature as such, but you can create a next-gen project, and move the issues from your classic project to the new project. Note though that you'll lose some data if you do this. You can read more here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRASOFTWARECLOUD/Migrate+between+next-gen+and+classic+projects

Hi katie.hughes@sparx.co.uk - You aren't missing anything. There is no linking between classic and next-gen projects at the moment. For now, next-gen projects operate independently from other projects.

Like Paz likes this
David Corthorn June 1, 2019

Hi - can you assign epics across projects in next-gen?

Like paru.madhavan likes this
Kevin Bui
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 2, 2019

Hi @David Corthorn - Not yet. At the moment, next-gen projects are independent so there is no assigning epics across projects in next-gen. But adding more cross-project capabilities is definitely on our radar.

Rodrigo Uchôa June 3, 2019

Hi.. My "Add to epic" option has simply disappeared. I can't link issues to epics anymore. Does anyone know what could be happening here? Thanks. 

Like # people like this
Carly Karas June 5, 2019

I'm having the same issue as Rodrigo. I only see "Assign Parent Issue", and can assign that to my epic, but when I try to bulk edit none of my epics show up when I try to "Change Epic Link" - not even the one I assigned as a "Parent Issue"! 

Patty Ho June 9, 2019

Hi @Kevin Bui I want to echo a question asked previously on this thread - When I try searching for the tasks/bugs within an Epic, the filter "Epic Link = PROJ-XX" does not work. When I add "Epic", "Epic Link", or "Epic Name" as columns in the List View of the search page, they appear blank.

Is there another way that I can search for these JIRAs within an Epic?

Like Deleted user likes this
anthony-dowtk June 24, 2019

Love it.  So much easier to use out of the box.  Little note to say "yes please" to having epics tab in the backlog again.  Cheers.

Michael Rea June 28, 2019

I'm at my wits end.  I do not have the "Add to Epic" option that's indicated in the documentation:

why_no_add_to_epic.jpg

Like SamanthaZoe likes this
Neetika Srivastava July 4, 2019

Can we remove the `done` epics from Roadmap by default every time we land on this page ? Currently we have to do this by manually by selecting `TO DO` and `IN PROGRESS`

Like # people like this
Pete Hobden July 9, 2019

I migrated my project to nextgen today to take advantage of the roadmap feature.  I wish I'd read all of this first - I have now migrated back to classic and will have to build and manage roadmaps off-system.  The ability to add to epics on story creation, the ability to bulk move stories between epics, to be able to report easily on them, etc etc is just basic functionality which has always been available in Jira.  I am baffled how you have decided to launch nextgen without this basic stuff working.  They're the fundamental building blocks of moving a business team to an agile model and retaining their confidence when things all seem very new to them.

The fact that comments raising these issues have been running since October last year gives me no confidence in these issues being resolved in the timeframe of my project.  A great shame.  Don't become the big evil vendors please guys.  Don't become Oracle :-)

Like # people like this
Elijah Lofgren August 7, 2019

This page needs an update: Instead of "Add to Epic" the label is now "Add to parent"

Ben Díaz August 30, 2019

I think it would be great if you could filter in the RoadMap by color! So, for example, I can assign the color Blue to R&D and the color Violet to Marketing, and each department can see their tasks and expected completion. 

Deleted user September 9, 2019

@Michael Rea Use the "Add to Parent" (it's where it should've said "Add to Epic" or "Assign to Epic").

Engineers....talk to each other, people.

This is where one engineer working on one side of the problem "Add Child Issue" from the Epic side, didn't get spoken to/talk to the person working on the other side from the direction of Stories "Add to Parent" (etc..etc.).

This is what happens when everyone treats a product's development as a series of TICKETS.

Like SamanthaZoe likes this
Cheryl Wood September 11, 2019

Is there a way to see the Epic Name and Color on the Issues & Filters Search?  We use this view for mass assignment and without being able to see the Epic name/color on each issue it takes much longer.

We can see this on all issues in traditional projects.

Also, can we add more colors to use for Epics?

Like Danny Fitzgerald likes this
Nicholas Cu September 12, 2019

Hi, are there any plans to add swimlanes to the Roadmap and not just the Board? 

Cheryl Wood September 13, 2019

I would  like to see the Epic on the Story in Issues and filters view like on traditional projects and cannot get it to show up.  I have all stories associated to an Epic.  Do you have a suggestion on how to make this work?

The attached view shows a listing of a traditional project and a next gen project.  The Next gen does not show the Epic anywhere.  

Jira.pngThank you!

Like # people like this
Danny Fitzgerald September 13, 2019

Just adding another comment re viewing epics in filters... c'mon Atlassian, how hard can it be?!

Uptime Solutions Software Admin September 23, 2019

Is there a way for a classic project to share an epic with a next-gen project?  This would be very useful to our team right now!

Like Christien Groff likes this
SamanthaZoe October 16, 2019

Has the pic button been removed? It does not appear under more on either the board or backlog view for me. I have a roadmap full of Epics and a board full of issue types that I can't organise into swimlanes because there is no epics option. There is only: add flag, add label and add parent? ??

mschumann October 17, 2019

@Kevin Bui @Bree Davies I'm using a next-gen project but I can't seem to find how to link an issue to an epic while creating the issue? Like from the create issue popup (keyboard shortcut "C").

I can only seem to be able to link it either after it's been created, or when creating issues from the Roadmap (which we rarely do).

Jaeyoung Chun October 22, 2019

How do I configure the Task/Story view to show Epic Name?

Deleted user November 11, 2019

Hello.
I'm new to the next-gen roadmap, moving over from a Gantt-based system to stop duplication of workload.

These questions may have already been answered, but I haven't seen them as yet. 

I'd like to know how to automatically update the length of the epic via the sub-tasks & Stories estimates that I add to each epic. 
I don't also see how I can link the estimates (days) of the sub-tasks to the estimate of the story - everything seems to need to be manually updated, and I am finding it hard to plan out the timings of the stories/sub tasks in the road map.
And,
How can we view the stories & subtasks in the road map, without having to click on each epic? 

Perhaps I'm doing this incorrectly, however I'm working from Roadmap first/adding stories/subtasks before moving into the Sprint/Swimlanes piece of work.

Thanks very much.

Like # people like this
Mark Crocker February 26, 2020

Ranking is a big issue for me when im mixing on a board between classic and nextgen projects.

The epic rank is being honoured by the nextgen project not allowing me to move the ranks of my stories. HELP

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events