Working with epics in next-gen Software projects

153 comments

Thomas Calhoun October 23, 2018

@Oleg Putilin Ok cool, I see that it's coming up...nice. Thanks for the link. Overall, I have to say the introduction of the roadmap feature is a big enough win to justify waiting on a few other features...been waiting/wishing for some sort of useable timeline for a long while. Good work Jira!

Michael Alegria October 23, 2018

Will there be a parent to the epics (ie: version)?

In the classic project, we used the Version + Epic buttons in the backlog to filter the view and make our associations. I don't see a way to do that currently.

We also used "components" from the classic version to associate stories with our scrum teams and as quick filters. I don't see this either. 

Maybe there are comparable features, I just haven't figured it out yet. Is any of this in the works?

Thalles Rigobello October 24, 2018

Can I change an existing project into a next-gen projects?

Erin Howell October 24, 2018

Any plans to expand the epic out to display the stories on the roadmap view? It would be great to plot the story delivery sequence in this view so we can see that tasks the team will be working on over a given period. Eg an Epic may have a story to action at the beginning of its delivery then lie dormant while other stories are actioned, then have the remaining story actioned once the dependencies in other epics are complete

Like Nick McLoughlan likes this
Hendrik Schneider October 25, 2018

@Bree Davies I got two questions.

1. Can we swap / transfer / migrate our current Jira project into a next-generation project?

2. Is this feature also available on Jira Core? if not, when this will be added to this product?

Matty Marianksy October 25, 2018

+1 For epic colors please
Label colors will also be super nice

Nicole Neunhoeffer October 25, 2018

Hi @Kevin Bui, could you please advise when next-gen projects and roadmaps will be made available for the Server version? Thanks, much appreciated.

Ray Buchalter October 25, 2018

Is there a way to move issues/epics from previously created projects to the new Jira?

I am trying to avoid retyping everything

Sarah October 25, 2018

Is there a way to use roadmaps in a scrum environment? 

Santosh Kumar October 26, 2018

Hi , I recently tried this and was assuming that it would be like a GanttChart which is add-ons to JIRA . 

Is there a way to view the time line at task level as well like we have MPP where in we can have story-->task--> subtask with the start and end date and Story time line may a month but the task and sub task may have the short duration but under the story date range ?

Mark Piggott October 29, 2018

A great step forward thanks ! I'd love to see this Nex-Gen thinking to expand to align more closely with the Agile process enabling the Roadmap to start with Themes / Initiatives that then break out into Epics. 

The ability to drill into a Roadmap theme and see that Epic(s) that make it up, and then drill into each Epic to see the user stories, ideas and issues grouped to deliver that Epic's outcome.

Making it easier to link Pages to the Theme / Initiative or Epic would be great too, 

Ian Sheffield October 29, 2018

+1 for @Mark Piggott's suggestion about roadmap themes.  Any thoughts on how to organize candidate themes / ideas prior to when they make the roadmap?  We currently do this outside of JIRA in other tools, but it would be amazing to have it here as this is where we hold all issues / improvements that are suggested by our customers, prospects, and internal staff.

Karanpreet Kaur October 30, 2018

When is this feature planned to come in Jira Software Server ? 

Rodney Dsouza October 30, 2018

Two questions on your feature planning:

1. Is there a plan to implement the 'Roadmap' feature in classic projects?   It seems easy now that you have implemented it once for next-gen projects  :-)   I am using a separate new project to show the Roadmap, which means that I am creating duplicates of the real Epics to get this wonderful view.  The Roadmap feature is a great addition either way.

2. Is there a plan to be able to manipulate Notifications on the next-gen projects?  Even a simple toggle would be nice.   Currently I don't know who is getting notification emails - is this documented somewhere?

Mr LeWhite October 30, 2018

Sooo basically, if I get it right, some projects CAN actually have a built-in roadmap while some others will have to pass by the PortFolio Section of the Next-Gen Jira am I right? Because it seems like some of my projects have access to it, like built-in but some others don't. 

Thanks 

Anish Patel October 31, 2018

Do the bars on roadmap move automatically if the child issue linked gets delayed? 

David Manzor October 31, 2018

Anyone know if it's possible to link tickets from old-gen projects to epics in next-gen projects? I can't seem to do it. We have multiple engineering teams each with their own jira projects so product epics have tickets which cross multiple old-gen projects.

Mike Greenspan October 31, 2018

@Mr LeWhite  You need to go to Project Settings->Features and then enable "Roadmaps".

Bree Davies
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 31, 2018

@Danny Fitzgerald - does the old relationship remain even if you re-link the issues inside your next-gen project? We have a new concept of issue hierarchy in next-gen projects. 

Danny Fitzgerald October 31, 2018

@Bree Davies it did, can't say it still does as I ended up moving the issues back to my old board, removing them from the epic on my old board, then moving them back across to the next-gen one and adding them to the next-gen epics.  Bit of a pain in the arse.  For the one's I hadn't moved across to the next-gen board, I removed them from the old epics, then moved them across and attached them to the new epics.

Bree Davies
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 31, 2018

@Thomas Calhoun - thank you, we're very glad to hear it :) 

@Michael Alegria - we will bring versions back to next-gen projects, in the future - but it's a little way off right now. 

@Thalles Rigobello - right now you need to migrate your existing issues to a newly created next-gen project using the bulk move operation. 

@Erin Howell - thanks for the feedback! Out of curiosity, how do you plan the sequencing of your stories right now? 

@Hendrik Schneider - right now you need to migrate your existing issues from your classic project to a next-gen one using the bulk move operation. Regarding the roadmap feature availability in Jira Core, it's only available in the next-gen projects right now and we don't have any immediate plans to add this to Jira Core. 

@Nicole Neunhoeffer / @Karanpreet Kaur - to register your interest in this feature for Jira Software Server, I'd recommend voting on this JAC ticket

@Ray Buchalter - you can do a bulk move to migrate your issues to your new next-gen project. 

@Sarah - what do you mean by this? Would you like see sprints on the roadmap? Would love to hear more.

@[deleted] - not right now, we wanted to keep the roadmap really simple to start with. I'd love to hear more about how you would like to plan your stories - is it by sprint, dates, estimate or some other mechanism?

@Mark Piggott / @Ian Sheffield - brilliant feedback, thanks. This is definitely the direction we'd like to take the feature. Stay tuned. 

@[deleted] - we have no plans right now to add the roadmaps feature to Classic Projects. Is there anything that's preventing you from moving your existing project work over to a next-gen project to save the duplicate effort you're currently making?

@Mr LeWhite - the roadmaps feature is only available inside next-gen projects. It will be 'on' by default for those project types. You'll know if you're using a next-gen project as there's a small message which appears in the bottom of the Jira Project navigation. 

@anish.patel - the bars on the roadmap currently do not move automatically. 

@David Manzor - we have a new concept of hierarchy in next-gen projects. But issue links are global, so you an link dependent / related issues between projects using this mechanism, if it will work for you. 

Roar Ytre-Eide November 1, 2018

Hi @Bree Davies,

Exciting change! Looking forward to see all new functionality. I like that you get rid of (hide) much of the complexity setting up all the schemes, etc. It is important to follow the methodology principles, not old habits of your users. I try to avoid this myself.

I started to use this yesterday. I have one challange: I want to see what epic a task and userstory belongs to when I look at a story/task in "detail view". I also would like to get it because I connect EPIC in confluence - and show (via search) all belonging tasks/Stories. 

I dont think this is old habit, I think this is useful. Agree? Or can you help me see this in a new way?

I am also looking forward to see how "sprints over" and releases are solved in the future. This is also connected to reporting which is an another good reason to use this kind of tool. 

Thanks,

Roar

Like Frank_Sobczynski likes this
Jamie DeBella-Teresuk November 1, 2018

Why is the roadmap feature only available on next-gen projects? There are so many features of a classic project that weren't included in next-gen that make Jira practically pointless without converting to classic.  Really disappointing. 

Michiel Starrenburg November 1, 2018

When you mark an Epic as completed - it will turn grey. Which is helpful short term. But how do you remove a completed epic from the roadmap? 

Carlos Palminha November 5, 2018

Hi @Kevin Bui... When looking at the issue view, how can we quickly understand that the issue belongs to an EPIC? This is very useful in terms of information and navigation

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events