What's coming soon for next-gen projects in Jira Software Cloud

118 comments

Chander Shekhar November 18, 2018

Hi 
We started off with the Next Gen Project and loved the concept and simplicity. Great work.

Few suggestions which we are missing as an IT development company. 

- Ability to view Created, Last Updated Timestamp & Due Date on the Cards

- Ability to allot Custom Color to the Epic, displayed on RoadMap (as this would be seen by the Top Management)

Thanks

Shekhar

miles_jordan November 27, 2018
  • +1 multiple boards
  • +1 multiple backlogs
  • +1 archiving/hiding cards that are "done"

Thanks for simplifying things!

Guy Srinivasan November 30, 2018

We'd like to use this for kanban, but without any reports it's much less interesting... CFD please!

Like # people like this
Josh Raley December 2, 2018

@eoinh to your earlier request around how people are using components, we need them for time tracking across projects similarly to the way you’d use a custom tag or label, because it’s one of the few objects we can structure tempo timesheet reports on, essentially we use it to categorize an issue in Jira and then run tempo timesheet reports by those groupings. We could use labels similarly if tempo would offer them as a grouping notion for time reporting. 

Like Jason M_ likes this
David Mason December 5, 2018

Man, it'd be really cool if your Server customers could get this same functionality. As it stands now, we're locked into purchasing expensive add-ons to get basic roadmap functionality. Are there any plans to bring next-gen projects to Server (please say yes)?

Like greenkohl23 likes this
Lars Olafsson December 5, 2018

It could be awesome if you could fold out, or display stories under each epic in the roadmap. to see what is included for those.

Like # people like this
Ian Sheffield December 5, 2018

@Rayen Magpantay Our team have been adding a large number of items into a roadmap, some of which are ideas, some of which are in progress, some are scheduled to do.   Am finding the filtering to be very limiting since it only uses the three default issue statuses (TODO, In Progress, Done), instead of the ones you define for your board (for us this is 10 statuses).  It would also be greatly useful to us to be able to use the full set of statuses alongside labels to filter items on the roadmap. 

This would allow us to:

- dice the data anyway you want to filter the epic roadmap view so you can have conversations about it (works fine as is for small roadmaps, not so much for large ones)

- replicate release / fixVersion from classic by using a label so you can see which roadmap items fall into which release

- actually use it as a planning tool so if your epic / feature is "in design", the design teams knows which ones they are planning to accomplish in a time period, etc...   

It just makes that roadmap view that much more powerful. 

Keep up the great work!  

Like Jerry likes this
Wilmer DAZA December 7, 2018

We should definitely have VERSIONING and RELEASING features !!!

That would bring the whole chain for a product management because the Roadmap feature is good but having the opportunity to manage and control the versions of your products/projects, having them linked to your epics and the roadmap is better !

Like # people like this
Chelene Fehr December 12, 2018

Is there an ETA on parallel sprints?

We often have ad-hoc/emergency changes as we are both development and operations. A parallel sprint would allow for us to accommodate this, but not if we can't run them in parallel.

Any other suggestions for operational tasks, until this functionality is there?

Aaron Baker December 12, 2018

Really important for my agency to have Time Tracking functionality! Mapping time spent on each issue and having report to view it all is critical to managing projects.

Like # people like this
Michael Parker December 19, 2018

We're interested in getting automation around:

• Create a branch in git -> Moving the card to 'in progress'
  • Opening a PR in github -> Moving the card to 'code review'
  • PR merged -> Move the card to `product owner review`
  • Moving the card back to 'in progress' -> Reassign card back to original developer (not the reporter or the current assignee..!)

Is that part of the roadmap? I read the roadmap but I couldnt find anything that sounded like it. (Theres stuff about jenkins build status integration but that sounds different)

Like # people like this
Kira McCoan December 20, 2018

I'd really love to see the Control Chart (Time in each status) and Cumulative Flow Diagrams implemented for the next reporting :)

Like chadd likes this
Mark Crews December 26, 2018

Any idea when subtasks will be released?

Like # people like this
Farhan Obaidullah January 3, 2019

Ability to pull in multiple other next gen project into one next gen project.  

Use case: 

1. Person stretched across multiple teams needs one place to manage work load

2. Global visibility for leadership 

3. Global management for project managers

Like Patrick Plaggenborg likes this
Christine Guarderas January 4, 2019

Configured notifications will be key -  I can't ask my business users to log requests only to inundate them with every ticket update.  I don't see any notification configuration currently available.  I may have to move off the next gen board in order to roll out use of the board to my user base. thx. 

Christine Guarderas January 4, 2019

backlog status/log would be helpful - in the Kanban style board, the ToDo list is unmanageable as requests stack up. 

Natalia Lezhai January 11, 2019

We need the ability to have more then one board per project, as there are teams within one project that don't want to interfere with workflow of other teams board. 

Like Tim Takach likes this
Peter Nguyen January 11, 2019

Any idea when sub-tasks and checklist will be release?

Like # people like this
Katja Lohmann January 17, 2019

The ability to use markdown for the issue description would be great.

Elmar Szelestey January 17, 2019

Hi! I am really into the next-gen project, but i was wondering if it is possible to change the colorcoding of statuses (grey, blue, green)? And the little circles (grey, blue, green) shown on the backlog-screen don't seem to work right now, am I right? Thank you!

Like # people like this
Cody Hill January 19, 2019

It doesn't look like there is a way to update the workflow or workflow scheme for a next-gen-project. When is this being resolved? Or am I missing something... I have looked at your roadmap. And I don't see it on there.

Cody Hill January 19, 2019

I would also like to see a way to change the color of workflow items other than grey, blue, green. I'd like to add to the workflow BLOCKED. And have that show up in RED. So that it's easy to find and you know you need to prioritize whatever is blocking an issue.

A L January 21, 2019

We recently migrated from Trello to the Jira next-gen project board - the migration was fairly painless (though we did had to rerun it as it failed a few times). The Jira next-gen board is a good fit for us, but it would be really useful to have the following changes / issues tackled:

• the issue resolution field is always listed as unresolved but there doesn't appear to be a way to change the resolution status or define it
  • there's no component field, so no way to group in requirements management add-ons (e.g. integration with rmCloud)
  • ad-hoc checklists - even Trello had this by default, yet missing in next-gen (a must-have feature!)
  • when exporting issues, custom fields are not included
  • ideally a way to baseline/version the board
  • project lead can't be changed

It would also be great to see a rough timeline on new roadmap feature to give us an idea how soon or far out they may be....

miles_jordan January 21, 2019

This is going to end up being the same as normal Jira 😂

If I could use Trello I would. Trello is so flexible. It probably would have been easier to add reporting to Trello and charge for that, than to try to make Trello inside of Jira, which is what seems to be happening here.

I think the point of next gen projects was probably to try seeing how simple a kanban board could be. For me Trello is way more usable, but others in my organisation are very used to Jira. We just use the Kanban board with swimlanes, components and labels in normal Jira and it does the job.

innnzzz6 January 23, 2019

can you create a next-gen board from a filter. We have epics across different projects and it would be epic ;) to create a next-gen board displaying all these epics.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events