What's coming soon for next-gen projects in Jira Software Cloud

118 comments

Eoin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 18, 2018

@Hasani we will build reports over time. More importantly we will look to surface key information in context as well as providing a place to create and share reports. It will help us alot if you could tell us what reports you use and what you find them useful about them?

Eoin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 18, 2018

@Ian Sheffield thanks for all the questions. I'll try answer them one by one.

Rolled up estimations is not in the first iteration of estimation. However, this is absolutely something we will look to solve - and I'm sure will be a spicy one :) We are building the concept of work hierarchy into Jira Software next-gen projects to put us on that path.

Next-gen projects will continue to be built out over time. Filters is likely to be something, as you mention, where we will give users more control over. Filering on custom fiels will be right up there in terms of priority in how we extend this.

Componets is not something we are currently considering for next-gen projects but I absolutely acknoledge there is a use for something like this. As we build up the power, we will need to understand this use in more depth and ensure we satisfy the need behind components. I'm curious to hear how you use components - is it for cross project reporting for example?

Because of the next work hierarchy we are building, the relationship between epic and story is now different. We haven't yet provided a JQL function to query for epics and their children in next-gen projects. This will be something we tackle in the future. 

I hope this helps. 

Ian Sheffield October 19, 2018

@Eoin Ryan - thanks for the details.  The future looks great.  We will probably hold off moving our big project over until the epic hierarchy is fully fleshed out.  

We are building a large piece of enterprise software from the ground-up, so we have approximately 10k stories / issues / improvements that either completed or in the backlog.  Because of the volume we needed a better way than pure labels that allow open ended entry as we were finding too many duplicates.  So we decided to use components as there is decent reporting mechanics already built into the product. We also share our instance with 100's of other products and projects, so the shared nature of labels was overwhelming.  

Regardless, we are open to other ways to further bucket our issues.  We use a combination of fixVersions, labels, components, and epics!  :-)  I noticed there wasn't a picklist / multi-picklist type custom field.  I assume that is in the works too?  Those could provide an alternate way to capture some of that data in a controlled fashion.  Typically it is our triage team that categorizes everything so it is organized so the appropriate product owners get notified.  

I have booked a time with one of your office hours, but would be open to helping beta any new changes with the hiearchy if you are looking for volunteers.

Matt Magee October 20, 2018

If I create a story, how can I retroactively associate it with an epic?  "Epic Link" is missing from all of the story views that I have seen, and there is no longer the nice drag and drop capability from the backlog screen.

gestj October 20, 2018

@Matt Magee

If I create a story, how can I retroactively associate it with an epic?  "Epic Link" is missing from all of the story views that I have seen, and there is no longer the nice drag and drop capability from the backlog screen.

You can do that in the backlog for example. Actions > Add to Epic

image.png

gestj October 20, 2018

I just tested next-gen in cloud + roadmap feature. Very nice work!

What about the use case where I have one backlog for multiple feature teams doing scrum?

Are there plans to support multiple sprints in parallel or in a bigger picture to add features that support large scale scrum use cases?

I think Portfolio has something in that direction, but I never tried it out...

Artur Wisniewski October 22, 2018

Hey

just did a round of testing the agility and following are the features we would be missing the most:

• Releases management - occasionally we work on a feature that's going to take us longer than one sprint to develop. We use releases to track where certain issue related code should be merged (which release branch). There's no easy way to track release progress, as we assign both issues and epics to releases.
  • When planning a sprint there's no easy way to lookup workload assigned to team members
  • Multiple boards per project - currently we have separate board for designers (kanban) and developers (sprints), this way we could share the same roadmap and epics
  • Components - every component has a lead, such information is helpful when you're looking for answers related to that component.

Separate labels management could solve both components and releases management, if it provided a way to see how many issues are there having certain label, being able to assign colors/descriptions to them.

Otherwise great work, JIRA's really starting to look much more modern with the next-gen developments, kudos!

Like Oran_Dennison likes this
tomi.hokkanen@kone.com October 22, 2018

@Eoin great work with next-gent! Are you planning to add support for multiple boards? If so, when?

Nelson Ra October 22, 2018

Should we assume additional Project Settings (e.g Workflow, Screens) will be made available over the course of the Next Gen Project road map?

Nataliya Pennie October 25, 2018

Hi, it will be very useful to have an opportunity to customize the cards, e.g. add a Due Date and change cards' color if the due date is coming.

Thank you!

Like # people like this
Eoin
Atlassian Team
October 25, 2018

tomi.hokkanen@kone.com we'll definitely support multiple boards in next-gen in the future. We've got a fair amount of work on before we get to that - including improving work breakdown, workflows, estimation, and managing completed work. Exciting times! Cheers

Eoin
Atlassian Team
October 25, 2018

@Nataliya Pennie the ability to customise card layout will be something we come to - and due date is up there as one of the first fields that would become available with this. Changing card colors is something however we're still considering - keen to hear how you use card color? It would help with our prioritisation. Thanks

Like # people like this
Eoin
Atlassian Team
October 25, 2018

@Nelson Ra you got it! We'll continue to build out the power. Workflows are up after we tackle sub-tasks so hopefully you won't have to wait too long. Cheers

Eoin
Atlassian Team
October 25, 2018

@gestj paralell sprints will be something we build in although we've got a few other big rocks to get through before we get to this! Thanks for the feedback. 

Eoin
Atlassian Team
October 25, 2018

Thanks @Artur Wisniewski! This feedback is great - really helps mus understand your needs and with our prioritisation. Cheers

Samantha Rassner October 30, 2018

A pre-requisite for converting to next-gen boards is the ability to log time worked to tickets. 

We require this for tracking cost/T&M as captializable on software projects. We cannot move to the new boards missing this business critical piece of data. 

Like Aaron Baker likes this
mnorman78 November 2, 2018

We are an agency and have a large number of projects, but they all follow the same Jira setup.  When will you be rolling out the ability to create a new template other than just the Kanban and Scrum templates?

Eleanor Taylor November 6, 2018

When can we expect to be able to customise workflows? I understand it is planned but it isn't shown in the 'coming soon' section of the road map for next gen. Are we talking months before you even start? We use a very customised workflow at present and would need that flexibility when moving to next gen. We currently going through a series of exercises to improve our JIRA processes and knowing when we could move to a next gen project as opposed to the classic we are using would be helpful.

Zach Alexander November 6, 2018

Will categories be added to NextGen projects?  Would love to be able sort them along with our existing classic projects.

Brian Imbriani November 6, 2018

Is there support coming for making new required fields?

Like Joe St.Louis likes this
Amit Vij November 7, 2018

Hi, i tried using the new-gen Kanban board, i was however not able to release the items on the board. Is there a way to clean up the board in the done column ?

Like # people like this
Broni.Kmetova November 9, 2018

Hi Rayen, 

I really like Roadmap, looks really good. I want to ask if there will be option to see other issue types then epic ?  And child issues as well so you see progress on epic. 

Thank you.

B. 

Woo Joo Lee November 11, 2018

Will you be adding capability to back up for server and not just cloud?

The company I'm working for requires that an offline back up is available - an offline backup that can be audited without JIRA online.

2018-11-12_11-50-18.png

shuxrat November 13, 2018

Hi, I would like to know how soon will you finish sub-tasks or checklist?

Like # people like this
Robert Cantoni November 15, 2018

Can we get keyboard shortcuts added to the roadmap? I know a few are supported, but prev/next issue and flipping between boards are essential, especially with the new collapsed sidebar making board switching more difficult.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events