Next-gen projects "Features" project setting

402 comments

patrickt010
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 15, 2018

@Daniel Zimmerman The team is currently working on adding support for epics and it will be available in the coming weeks. I'd love to better understand how you and your team use epics today. If you have time for a call I can walk you through the experience. Feel free to reach out to me at pthompson@atlassian.com and we can schedule some time. 

@Maciej Połoński We're glad that you are enjoying the new agility project experience!

Alex Lock August 16, 2018

A few questions:

1) Is there a view to bring these sort of features into current software projects?

2) Could we have something that allows a hierarchy within a project: theme->initiative->epic->issue

3) Will 'Agility' projects become their own sort of things like Business, Software, and Service Desk issues?

patrickt010
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 20, 2018

👋 @Alex Lock

1. There are no plans to bring these features into the current software templates. We will eventually work on migrating existing projects into this updated experience but this is still a long way away. 

2. We plan on supporting more customizable levels of hierarchy but will release with epics in the near future as a first step. 

3. We released Agility as a separate Software template so that we can get feedback as we work on adding more power. In the future, we will offer multiple templates powered by the same project configuration that you have with Agility. 

Alex Lock August 20, 2018

Thanks @Patrick Thompson! On point two, that's awesome as I'd like us to move to Portfolio and have gantt views though it's not quite there enough for us to move from a dog of a system we're currently using.

Is there a road map for these features? Also, is there a view to have Agility templates for business projects?

patrickt010
Atlassian Team
August 20, 2018

@Alex Lock I'd be happy to hop on a call to discuss some of these features and our plans, feel free to email me at pthompson@atlassian.com and we can schedule some time. We are working on publishing an external roadmap for Jira Software and will communicate this out to the community so stay tuned for an update. 

MaryP August 20, 2018

I spent a little quality time with Agility Basic over the weekend.  We have been using Jira for a while and work in an agile manner.  We have our own project workflows that help our team stay on top of issues.  I couldn't see a clear path forward for us to migrate as of this time.  I have a few issues at this time

1. Create projects using categories.  This is important to our reports.

2.  Choose project template.  We have built our own which includes:

-- workflow
-- screens for different issue types
-- time tracking Tempo.... ugghhh we need to invoice clients based on issues
-- issue field; wow a lot is not apparent here  where did created date go?

I would be happy to give some feedback by moving a live project over and running it in parallel.  What is the best way to create a new project in Agility by duplicating and converting an existing project?

Tulsa Web Design 
www.designyoursite.net 

Like Jirrod Glynn likes this
Bryan Gintz August 21, 2018

I am super confused as to why a project would launch without the ability to log work/time at all?  I really like the simplicity of the Agility template but I have to track time :-/

Erika Sa
Atlassian Team
August 21, 2018

Hi @MaryP

We've been busy building out key features in this new project and as you can see, there's still a long way to go. Your input is critical in us making the right calls, so thanks for trying out agility project and providing your feedback. 

Currently, we support moving issues from one project to another but with limited configuration options in agility, you might lose some of your custom fields or status. 

I'd be happy to jump on a call to see how we can best support you to run two projects in parallel. If you're interested, please find some time here.

Cheers,

Erika Sa

Atlassian Product Manager

Erika Sa
Atlassian Team
August 21, 2018

Hi @Bryan Gintz

Thanks for your feedback. We understand that ability to log time is important to create reports on team's work and we're looking into this at the moment. 

Is your team using Tempo or Jira API to report on logged entry? 

Bryan Gintz August 22, 2018

@Erika Sa We are using Tempo.  Can you also explain how I can move my project away from Agility, I have issues in there and don't want to have to recreate a new project.  I didn't know Agility didn't do Time Tracking when I started with it :(

Thanks

Erika Sa
Atlassian Team
August 22, 2018

Hi @Bryan Gintz

We're sorry for the inconvenience. 

It's currently not possible to convert an agility project into another project type (like Business or Service Desk) or to another Software project template (like Scrum or Kanban). 

If you need to move to a new project or board type, we recommend creating a new project (you will need to be a Jira administrator to do this). Once you have created your new project, you can move issues from your existing agility project to the new one.

Let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Cheers,

Erika Sa

Atlassian Product Manager

Like Michel Casillas likes this
Upasna_Bassi August 28, 2018

Are the epics expected to work in the Agility projects any time soon? That would really enhance in independent factor here.

Awaiting...

Eoin
Atlassian Team
September 2, 2018

@Upasna_Bassi We're currently working on our first iteration of epics and they will be available very soon. When you get a chance to use them in your project, I'll be keen to get your feedback on whether they address your needs! Thanks

Mikael Sandin September 5, 2018

Up until recently I could choose to create a project using the "Create with shared configuration" option.

Now suddenly I don't see that option anymore. Has this been removed or just moved?

patrickt010
Atlassian Team
September 5, 2018

@Mikael Sandin Yes, this has moved. Sorry for any confusion this has caused. We recently moved shared configuration out of the list of templates, once you select a template it is available under 'Advanced' as a checkbox 'Share settings with an existing project'. I've attached an image below. 

Screen Shot 2018-09-01 at 11.25.08 AM.png

Zile Rehman September 6, 2018

The new look is really messed up! I don't see any stories or tasks. You UX team is trying their best to get rid of customers.

Garikoitz September 10, 2018

Hello, I spent all the afternoon trying to create a subtask in a task, but I don't know why in my new Software Project this option is not available. Does someone know why I have this difference?

Screen Shot 2018-09-10 at 17.42.38.png

FabioCalo September 11, 2018

Hello guys, I understand that features are being created as an ongoing development process. I would like to add sub tasks to your to do list. Hope we can get them and Epics some time soon. Keep up the good work 

Eoin
Atlassian Team
September 11, 2018

Thanks @FabioCalo! We are about to start rolling out epics so should see these very soon. Let us know if your thoughts once you get to use them.

We will start working on story point estimation and sub-tasks next!

Eoin
Atlassian Team
September 11, 2018

@Garikoitz Sub-tasks are not available in the new project experience yet. We went with epics as our first iteration work hierarchy and these will be available very soon. Sub-tasks will be the next thing that we pick up. 

We're also currently working on making the differences with the new project experience more discoverable so apologies for the confusion.

Thanks for the feedback!

Eoin
Atlassian Team
September 11, 2018

@Zile Rehman, I'm sorry that the experience for multiple issue types is confusing. If you are an admin of your project, you can add (and manage) issue types from "Project settings". We've taken your feedback on board and we will look at how we can make this ore discoverable for new users. Thanks!

Nathalie Karasek September 12, 2018

Hi! Are components and versions already available? 

Garikoitz September 12, 2018

@Eoin Thanks for your answer, I apreciate.

Zile Rehman September 12, 2018

@Eoin Ryan It's not a good idea to introduce a new workflows/views that do not have the required functionalities. Also, it's not a good idea to randomly change UX as Atlassian has done as of late. 

Ben Smithart September 12, 2018

@Zile Rehman I feel like you're missing the point of Agility boards. They were introduced as "What would a Jira project look like if we started from a clean slate". They're for people who want the power of Jira but without the administrative burden, with features getting added over time - but for now, they're optional.

If you still want the traditional Jira board with all its flexibility/features, just use the old Scrum or Kanban templates. They're still there.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events