Introducing subtasks for breaking down work in next-gen projects

118 comments

Siddhesh Parab October 2, 2019
LarryG October 2, 2019

So from the documentation indicated to Siddhesh about Roadmaps, is the "bug" of not being able to add stories to epics after the fact fixed now? i.e. you don't have to add them by creating them from within epics? I'm loath to check and be disappointed.

Like Siddhesh Parab likes this
Joel Arellano November 20, 2019

Is it possible to disassociate a child task from a task? If not, when will this be supported?

The only option I see now is to delete the sub-task, but even having done so, the sub-task persists as a link on the parent task, and that link still leads to the deleted task.

Lenin Raj
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 20, 2020

Are subtasks available in Next Gen Service Desk project?

Like Kat Brennan likes this
Hatron January 20, 2020

Is there any plan to add subtask to Roadmap? It would be very helpful if this feature is available.

Like claire likes this
mdj January 24, 2020

I used to upload an google sheets file to create multiple subtasks when we finished our planning analysis, but I'm not sure if this is even possible now.

Any guidance here?

We upload them like this directly to the own User Story in "Create Multiple Subtasks" 

- Task Name example / issueType:"Sub-Task" / assignee:"Tom" / reporter:"Richard" / estimate:"8h"
- Task Name example 2 / issueType:"Sub-Task" / assignee:"John" / reporter:"Richard" / estimate:"4h"
- Task Name example 3 / issueType:"Sub-Task" / assignee:"John" / reporter:"Ellen" / estimate:"2h"
- Task Name example 4 / issueType:"Sub-Task" / assignee:"Ellen" / reporter:"John" / estimate:"1h"

This was really helpful for me to structure and avoid overloading people, will this be available?

Christian Giroux February 11, 2020

I can't seem to find how to define different Sub-Task issue types. 

We used them in "old gen" Jira. 

- Sub task
- Sub task - bug
- Sub task - validation

Like # people like this
Jocelyn Ramirez February 12, 2020

My team is unable to see the option to GROUP by Subtask. They have 'member' access to the project. It is only available to Admin access. How can I make these available for all? Right now, they don't have a way to see their subtasks unless they know which story the subtasks are.

Screen Shot 2020-02-12 at 9.39.08 AM.png

Eoin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 17, 2020

@Jocelyn Ramirez this is in progress at the moment... https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/whats-new/next-gen#intheworks ("Enable everyone on the team to personalize their view of the board")

Eoin
Atlassian Team
February 17, 2020

@Christian Giroux it is possible to have one issue type at the subtask level for now. We will look to extend this in the future but there is no ETA on this

Jocelyn Ramirez February 18, 2020

Thanks @Eoin for your reply. If the board doesn't allow team members to see their sub-tasks. Is there any way you suggest for team members to be able to see their sub-tasks in a next-gen scrum project? Thanks!

Eoin
Atlassian Team
February 18, 2020

@Jocelyn Ramirez when the grouping is mage available as a setting that everyone can use, this will allow some people in your team to view the Board grouped by subtasks and other to view the Board grouped by stories

Dennis Sawin April 28, 2020

Hi,

I'm using Scrum boards in the "old" Jira and now am looking at Kanban in the "new" Jira. Is there any way to show sub-tasks on the new Kanban board along with the issues? I.e. sth like this:

st.png

We'd like to keep track directly of the progress of the ticket in its parts without having to click in and then see only a list view of the subtasks rather than an intuitive board.

I haven't found any options for this so found this thread and thought I'd ask since grouping issues by subtasks is also not really an option as we'd like to group issues by assignee on the board.

Thanks!

Eric Maddocks May 20, 2020

Is it possible to create multiple types of subtasks or at least be able to filter on subtasks and their parent issue type to be able to differentiate them?

Guido July 6, 2020

Hello,

I can't find an option for sub-tasks in my tickets. However, sub-tasks are included in the project. What am I doing wrong?

Okay. I found it:

2020-07-06 12_59_20-Auto-Dev – Agile-Board - JIRA - Vivaldi.jpg

Kerem B July 9, 2020

Hi Guys for the life of me I cannot seem to get the child issue buttons to appear anywhere in the stories or tasks.

When I click on an issue from the backlog, I cannot see the shortcut, nor the option in the body of the ticket

I can see a SUBTASK option when I click the top navigation bar CREATE button (although it does not automatically link to the story I am in), however it is not present anywhere to quick add directly into a ticket, like the previous project types.

I don't have custom issue types that I know of, so not sure what the issue could be.

buttons.PNG

agostini July 22, 2020

Ainda nada de subtasks para new gen projects... isso realmente é um absurdo, se o projeto é para ser melhor que os tradicionais, deveria ao menos ter as coisas que os antigos tem...

Jim Ryan July 24, 2020

OK, so I don't want to group by subtasks, I just want to see my subtasks on the board. Group by subtasks is confusing when you have a lot of cards with subtasks. I want to group by epic, but see all issues, including subtasks. Is this possible?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events