Introducing issue navigator in next-gen projects

Hi Atlassian Community,

I am excited to share that we are adding the project issue navigator to next-gen projects for Jira Software Cloud.

Issue navigator is one of the most actively used features in classic projects and we wanted to provide next-gen users with a faster way to search for your issues without having to leave your projects. So we are bringing the issue navigator to next-gen and adding additional features to make it even more powerful, like filtering by assignee, reporter and status.

Issue Navigator

PIN-ng.png

When you first open the issue navigator you will find a list of all issues in the project ordered by the date on which they were created.

In the Issue Navigator you can:

• Search for any issues/tickets in the project using text search, and filter by Assignee, Reporter or Status

• Sort the list by Created date, Key, Last viewed date, Priority, Resolution date, Status, Update date

• Modify the issues directly from the list

How to enable Issue Navigator

Hnet-image (13).gif

When the rollout reaches your Jira, you will be able to enable issue navigator via the features page under Next-gen project settings in Jira. After you have enabled the issue navigator, Issues will appear in the sidebar on the left.

What’s next for issue navigator?

We will be adding more exciting features to PIN as we go. In the coming months lookout for the following:

• Filtering issues by issue type

• Adding custom filters

• Saving and sharing filters

• Switching between issue view and list view

FAQ

When will my Next-gen projects get the new issue navigator?

We will start rolling out the issue navigator in April 2020, the rollout to all instances will take a few weeks.

How can I stay updated on the progress of the release?

We’ve set up a public Jira issue that you can watch to follow the progress of the release.

I have a problem while using the issue navigator, how can I get help?

Please use resources at Atlassian Support

I've got suggestions or questions, how can I provide feedback?

Great! Please leave comments on this page and help us shape the future of issue search in Jira.

When the issue navigator is rolled out to you, you can click on “Give feedback“ button on the Issues page to provide your feedback.

21 comments

Alex Murillo May 1, 2020

Good to see more Next-Gen features rolled out, hopefully they keep coming faster.

However, this new Feature view is missing important functionality:

• Unable to filter by Labels (like other Feature views)
  • Unable to filter by Status Category
  • Unable to enter JQL into the search box

Also, clicking the  Advanced button should not navigate away from the project, because it makes for a clumsy user experience, and instead the content should be displayed in the same frame.

Like # people like this
Yerbol Nisanbayev
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 3, 2020

Hi @Alex Murillo

Thanks for posting your feedback on the feature.

I am happy to share that we are planning to work on all of the items you've outlined here.

In the meantime, feel free to "watch" this ticket, we will keep it updated with our latest plans for the issue navigator. 

Like Choe Harry Hyung likes this
Daniel Flynn July 27, 2020

I can not access this feature still in our projects?

fabian October 11, 2020

Hi, looks great! I cannot see the "Issues" entry in my main navigation... is the feature not yet deployed to all accounts? Thx.

Mikaela Bertucci October 27, 2020

Can we have the ability to create quick filters in the issues navigator and on the backlog. I found these very handy in classic. 

Jasper Hovenga November 25, 2020

@Yerbol Nisanbayev

Beside "labels" i also want to filter out custom fields. For example: i've created a custom dropdown-field "application". I want to filter one or more applications.

I already can add filters with the advanced search in Issue-navigator of my next-gen project, but when i leave that screen, the added filter option disappears.

advanced-search-issuenavigator.PNG

Is that fixed anytime soon?

Greetz Jasper

Yerbol Nisanbayev
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 17, 2020

@Daniel Flynn , @fabian this should have reached your instances by now, please take a look and let me know if you are still not getting it.

Yerbol Nisanbayev
Atlassian Team
December 17, 2020

@Mikaela Bertucci , @Jasper Hovenga thank you for your asks. We are working on adding an ability to save filters and more refinements to the issue navigator. These features will be progressively rolled out over the next year. Please follow the ticket for the latest: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-74155

Gunther January 28, 2021

I would like to add more columns to the list view, for example epic. Then I can see at a glance which issue belongs to what epic. With extended search it is possible to add more columns. But if I add "epic name", the epic will nevertheless not be displayed.  

What is the difference between issue navigator and extended search? It's quite similar. 

Yerbol Nisanbayev
Atlassian Team
February 2, 2021

Hi @Gunther 

Thank you for your feedback. Great news is, this is one of the features we will add soon. Yes, the two are very similar. The plan is to extend issue navigator and eventually replace extended search - so instead of multiple ways to search for issues in Jira, there will be only one. 

Like Gunther likes this
nagyalex May 17, 2021

What is the special benefit of Issue Navigator compared to All Issues filter ?

For me it looks like Issue Navigator is limited/simplified version of All Issues filter. Or I'm missing something?

Like Yerbol Nisanbayev likes this
Alex Murillo May 17, 2021

I agree with @nagyalex  because it's missing the ability to filter by Epic, Label, and Versions.

Therefore, despite having some very good fields by which to filter, it renders the feature not very useful because we make heavy use of Epics, Labels, and Versions.

Ultimately, we use the Backlog view the most, but of course that feature is also missing some critical filters too:

* Assignee

* Status

* Status Category

Like Yerbol Nisanbayev likes this
Yerbol Nisanbayev
Atlassian Team
May 17, 2021

@nagyalex that is right, Issue Navigator is a faster, upgraded version of advanced search(where you can access All Issue filter). We are progressively adding more features to Issue Navigator, and eventually it will replace Advanced Search, more about that here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-74155

@Alex Murillo  we are working on adding epic, label and versions to the issue navigator, the version that you can access now is getting progressively improved. More about the status and latest improvements here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-74155

fabian May 17, 2021

How about saving Filters for the Board and Backlog views? Just the most important example, we are running Issue Ownership based on a customer "Ownership" property. Therefore one would often need to filter Issues by Owner (see whats going on in a Sprint and in the Backlog on refinement activity) but that's not possible because there are no customer filters one can apply on those views.

Etienne Barnard le Roux November 25, 2021

I have issues containing a "-" in the name but I cannot search for those issues. Is this a known problem?

Yerbol Nisanbayev
Atlassian Team
November 28, 2021

Hi @fabian that's a very fair point. We don't have strong filtering capabilities in those views you mentioned today. However, it has been identified as one of the key areas we could improve in and we plan to create consistently powerful filtering across Jira in the future.

Yerbol Nisanbayev
Atlassian Team
November 29, 2021

Hi @Etienne Barnard le Roux thank you for that, I am afraid it's a known issue right now, there is a workaround you can find here https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-69172

Amina CHAYEB March 27, 2022

Hello,

Is this feature available for free edition?

Yerbol Nisanbayev
Atlassian Team
March 27, 2022

@Amina CHAYEB it sure is

Amina CHAYEB March 28, 2022

Hi @Yerbol Nisanbayev 

Thank you for your answer, I could check it on a free edition of jira software. However I can't disable this feature even that documentation claims that it is possible to do so.

May be documentation should be updated

screenshot.png

Yerbol Nisanbayev
Atlassian Team
March 28, 2022

@Amina CHAYEB , hey there. On the screenshots you are trying to disable "Boards" and you can't do that for certain project types.

But you should be able to enable/disable issue navigator, the icon would look something like this. 

Untitled.jpg

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events