Feature Announcement: User-based Swimlanes for Next-gen

Hey all you cool cats and kittens,

My name is Bryan Lim and I'm a Product Manager working on Jira Software Next-gen. I hope everyone is staying safe from coronavirus. 

We've listened to your feedback, and I'm pleased to announce that we shipped a new feature we call user-based swimlanes. User-based swimlanes allows everyone on the team to personalize their view of the board.

We're opening up swimlane configuration so that each member of the team can view their work on the board in the way that's most useful to them - whether that's by grouping issues by assignee, by epic, or by subtasks.

How to use user-based swimlanes

Simply navigate to the "GROUP BY" menu in the upper right of your board and click the dropdown menu to select the grouping of your choice:

swimlanes.png

Feel free to voice your feedback for this feature (or your feedback for Next-gen, in general) on this thread. Check out our public roadmap for what's coming next: https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/whats-new/next-gen

Best regards,
Bryan

P.S. Joe Exotic did not approve this message

32 comments

Simon Stannard April 28, 2020

We use customised swimlanes on our board so this is currently a blocker for us moving to NextGen projects.

Workstream looks like it might be doing the same thing in a different way.  How are workstreams defined?

Like # people like this
Louis Rubet April 28, 2020

Hey there !

Will it also be possible to define custom status along with these user-based swimlanes ?

blim
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 28, 2020

@Simon Stannard Epic was renamed to "Workstream" in this example.

@Louis Rubet Right now we only allow you to group by Epic, Assignee, Subtask.

We're looking into enabling JQL on Next-gen boards to allow users to group by custom status, etc. If you guys had this, which statuses (or other fields?) would you want to group by?

Like # people like this
Simon Stannard April 28, 2020

@blim We currently use a custom field 'Planned for Release' to define swimlanes.  This allows us to group several epics together and/or potentially work on an epic over a number of releases.

Gordon Pedersen April 28, 2020

@blim I have a couple of boards set up to view the status of Epics across projects and use swimlanes to group by project

Gert Franz April 29, 2020

What I would need is a Squad custom field I would group the swimlanes by. We have a smaller dev team called "Squad" which pulls the tickets and then the squad is responsible for the delivery. We now solved it by using Labels, but I'd love to see swimlanes by custom field.

Fletcher Thompson May 13, 2020

Any chance of seeing swimlanes implemented on the roadmap? We’d like to be able to group epics according to either functional effort or organisational initiative so we can perform parallel effort planning a little better than just assigning a colour to a type of task and hoping for the best.

Paul Benati May 18, 2020

I'd want to be able to group by any custom field.  For example,

1. data center
  2. team name
  3. scheduled date
    to create a swimlane for near-term and not near-term based on date boundaries defined within the JQL
Like # people like this
Bhavin Joshi May 21, 2020

Group by feature is very helpful.! Thank you.

Ramkrishna_Kumar June 21, 2020

Will group by custom queries,  also be an option available to all users ?

Like Hans likes this
blim
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 22, 2020

@Ramkrishna_Kumar JQL boards are on our roadmap. If you had that feature today, what would you like to group by?

Ramkrishna_Kumar June 22, 2020

@blim I would like to add group by version, region. 

Like blim likes this
Dino Meoni September 10, 2020

We use  priority and due date to highlight stories or tasks that requires immediate attention

Like # people like this
Sjoerd Smink September 14, 2020

We would like to group by Label (did that in Jira Classic); defining swimlanes based on JQL would be great.

Julian Mullins October 15, 2020

Linking to a related question here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Is-it-possible-to-quot-group-by-quot-a-custom-field-ideally/qaq-p/941867

I also have a next-gen board setup to track client launches, and would like to be able to filter by any custom fields that I've defined on my cards:

• client tier
  • launch date (i.e. show only those launching in the next month)
  • project type
  • pod (i.e. vertical)
  • other people fields (i.e. if I have a custom field that designates the account manager for a particular client, I would like to be able to filter for all cards where that account manager is assigned)

While a solution involving a custom JQL query would be fine for me - I need this to be easily accessible by others in my company who wouldn't know where to start writing a JQL query.

As such, does the upcoming feature release include ways to save preset filters that I can setup, or an easy way for others to search by any custom field and filter with it?

Like Hans likes this
Vincent Synan October 20, 2020

@blim group by User is a good start - but like many people in the above comments JQL or workstream would offer my teams the value they need.

Do you guys have an idea on when that will be available please? This will help me manage expectations :)

We are looking to move over to Next Gen to benefit from some of its other features. But we would lose swimlaning - if its for a few months that's acceptable I think. 

Thanks,

Vince

Lauren Hanyok November 18, 2020

I think it is too restrictive to prescribe what we can group by.  Customizing swimlanes is key.

Like # people like this
Santiago David November 30, 2020

Thanks for the new feature. I also think it is a bit restrictive though. For example, grouping by priority would be super useful too. Hope that comes soon: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-18391

Shahin Kohan December 10, 2020

How about Priority? 

Karen McClelland January 26, 2021

Would like to be able to add swimlanes by various things such as a specific product/ custom field.  Wish you had the configuration features for the active sprint board view as are in the Classic project.

Like Jenni Coleman likes this
Shahin Kohan January 26, 2021

+100 to open the swimlanes to more fields

Stephen Miller February 3, 2021

Is it possible to group by Reporter?

Alper Cugun June 9, 2021

I would also really like to be able to group this by label.

Carlos Hernandez June 29, 2021

Can we get swimlanes based on JQL queries?

blim
Atlassian Team
June 29, 2021

@Carlos Hernandez et. al., Yes, JQL-backed boards are definitely where we're headed. We've split out a team to concentrate on delivering this. For transparency, there's some major technical challenges so this will take awhile, but JQL-backed boards is our north star goal.

Let me know if you have any further questions/feature requests.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events