Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi! I'm Dom Price, Atlassian's expert on team culture, agile and the future of work. AMA

Viewing page 3 of 3

61 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

2 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 31, 2018

Hello Dom,

My question is

Why to go with Agile, if there is Holacracy? :)

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 5, 2018

Isn't Holacracy just a single consulting company that has invented a new term? I'm genuinely curious. At least "Agile" is not owned by anyone.

Dominic Price
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 9, 2018

I've had a look at Holacracy website a few times, and I'm fascinated by some of the concepts, but I'll admit, I've never truly tried to follow it.

Based on the #retroonagile we ran in our booth this week, there is no doubt room for growth with Agile, but also an overwhelming amount of happy, devoted Agile adopters. 

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 14, 2018

@Alexey Matveev: Probably best to say that Holacracy and Agile are equally similar as they are exceptionally different.... and same old answer, that fits all approaches to management of organisations, projects, process, change, etc.: "Choose the one that best suits your organisation" ;o)

@Kat Warner : You're not wrong there, although a company can still just pick up the book and be Holocratic without the getting accreditation. Not easy though: check out on any streaming service how Zappos has achieved Holacracy. Loads of videos on it.

Here's both in a nutshell from the almighty Wikipedia - I've taken the term Agile to mean 'Agile Software development' (i.e. the birth place of agile):

Agile software development describes an approach to software development under which requirements and solutions evolve through the collaborative effort of self-organizing and cross-functional teams and their customer(s)/end user(s). It advocates adaptive planning, evolutionary development, early delivery, and continual improvement, and it encourages rapid and flexible response to change.

Holacracy is a method of decentralized management and organizational governance trademarked by HolacracyOne, in which authority and decision-making are distributed throughout a holarchy of self-organizing teams rather than being vested in a management hierarchy. Holacracy has been adopted by for-profit and non-profit organizations in several countries

1 vote
Santhosh Kumar August 9, 2018

What is the best way to calculate forcast velocity for the current version.

In my Backlog i have user story for next version also.

Dominic Price
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 9, 2018

Hey Santhosh.

I'm not entirely sure what you're looking for.

Is it this: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/velocity-chart-777002731.html

Let me know and maybe we can re-ask the question in the Jira section of the community?

1 vote
Sakshi Mittal August 9, 2018

How should an organization working in a traditional way(waterfall) be transitioned to be agile? What is the path to be followed?

Dominic Price
Atlassian Team
August 9, 2018

This is a popular question! I'll quote what I wrote to answer Danny's question above. Feel free to let me know if there's any aspects of your question I haven't yet covered!

"Every organisation is different so there will be many ways for this to succeed. One way is to harness the energy and passion your people already have. Find those most passionate about being more agile and give them all the help you can to make them successful. Then you and they can showcase their success to encourage others to join the movement.

For those appearing resistant, maybe they feel forced to change and meeting them where they are will be more effective. Lose the A word and instead use the practices and behaviours that agile encourages to help solve the challenges they have today, Once this starts to work maybe they'll see the benefit; worst case they'll continue to improve and they'll become more agile regardless.

Also, before you talk frameworks (the solution), make sure to ask questions like "why?" and "what for", so you know the real problem you're solving. "

1 vote
SGD
Atlassian Team
August 6, 2018

Ok: not a question. But! Several people have already asked for the slide deck from Dom's keynote at Agile2018. You can view it and download it on SlideShare. (The speaker notes have been tidied up and are available in the "Notes" tab.)

"Stay agile, San Diego!" 

1 vote
Louis Galipeau August 4, 2018

When will we be seeing markdown in Jira?

Dominic Price
Atlassian Team
August 9, 2018

Hey Louis, unfortunately we can't disclose our future roadmap as we are now a public company. Check out Jira.atlassian.com for a live repository of all customer requests. 

1 vote
Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 31, 2018

Hi @Dominic Price,

in addition to Micky's question, what is your opinion on the LESS framework and what do you think where they have their strengths.

Thanks 

Dominic Price
Atlassian Team
August 9, 2018

LESS' strength is that it’s lightweight on purpose. Typically teams may go from a single scrum team to a ‘scrum of scrums’ (maybe 3 teams) and then to LeSS. So it provides all the same rituals of scrum, just at scale, which is also good if those practices are already familiar to a team.

0 votes
Brian Rain September 10, 2018

@Dominic Price  In your Agile Alliance talk, you used the stat 

78% of people don’t trust team mates

I'm having trouble finding the source document.  Do you have it? 

Dominic Price
Atlassian Team
September 10, 2018
0 votes
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 14, 2018

Excellent discussion @Dominic Price ! That's a great slide show... was the key note also recorded?

Couldn't see a link. 

In the spirit of all topics "A" related... what about the question Agile vs agile!? So many companies say they're agile... but do they really practice being Agile? 

Do you think efficiency & effectiveness can be improved by understanding the difference and living by it better?

0 votes
brad dunn August 10, 2018

Hey Dom,

You talk a lot these days about remote work.

Do you think Atlassian would open its hiring up to a global candidate base for product/design and engineering roles?

0 votes
Deleted user August 9, 2018

Thank you, Dom!! For your time and wealth of information... @Dominic Price

Dominic Price
Atlassian Team
August 9, 2018

Thank you taking part

Carol Jones August 10, 2018

Yes, thank you! Do you plan to do this type of thing again in the near future? I would love to point our user communities to it in case they missed this one!

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events